Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome build so far, looking good!

3. klazurfer

klazurfer

Most Excellent Chop :):) Sure wish I had your skills !

Klaz

4. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

To grind and finish the tight inside radius of the moldings I first use a pneumatic belt sander to dress the welds down close then I use a half round hand file to finish then scotch brute.

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea! Thanks!

6. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i got to bump this amazing build

7. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks chief!

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

Awesome work.. wow.. all that detail work is amazing

9. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Not much progress this week. I got a few weddings that are eating up my weekends and it's been really hot up here in Langley. I finally got my hands on the dash I wanted to put into the car. It's a 1959 Impala dash, in really good condition. I had time to sandblast and then buff and clean up the rest of it. It's ready to be sectioned and fitted into the 53. Also I got a picture of me sitting in the car, first time I have done it since chopping the roof.

Attached Files:

10. sick car bro!! nice work

11. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

Wow! Such excellent metal work! Thanks for sharing your build with us.

12. broey

broey

love this car...

13. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Man I'm like a crack addict, I'm itching for my fix of update on ur ride bro!!!
    PS. Waiting for the rear taillights. :)

14. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks chris. I am getting a full day working on the car tomorrow. Working on getting the last garnish moulding cut and welded and tie up a few loose ends with the chop. Its pretty much 99% complete. I will be trailering it to the Langley Good Times Cruise In to park along side my club members as I am joining the Kingsmen Vancouver CC.

I will load up some pictures tomorrow when I am finished.

15. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Hello once again. Another great day working on the 53. The sun was out, it was hot but that didnt stop us from cracking away on the car. Schaefer came out to once again give me a huge helping hand.

The chop is almost complete, it needs a bit more hammer work but im very happy with how the top has shaped up to be.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the Automatic Shifter assembly that was giving to me by Lucky53. Thank you once again for the generosity and your money is in the mail this week!

[​IMG]

The 1959 impala dash that I bought was a total of 10" too wide to fit into my car. I decided to take 6" out of the center and 2" on either end. This ended up working out perfectly.

[​IMG]

I will shave where the radio belonged and I cut the entire ash tray assembly out and then fit back in once we sectioned the dash at this point.

[​IMG]

I salvaged the defrost vents and dash lip when removing the stock 53 dash. Using this contour i was able to cut down the impala dash to the appropriate radius making it an easy fit.

[​IMG]

Stoked on how the new dash looks and it flows really well with the theme of the car. My steering column will have to be shifted over 2" towards the passenger side to be centered on the speedometer and fit into the dash notch. You can also see that i am going to have to mold the corners of the dash to flow a bit better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final picture of the day. Hope you like the look of the new dash as much as I do. Cant say enough words to describe how awesome I think this looks in my car!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

17. myktrans

myktrans

18. Patrick46

Patrick46

100% in agreement!!! Keep up the outstanding workmanship!! :cool:

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

20. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude.. I just read the whole thread... Im so stoked on your car!! Cant wait to see it in person. I ALMOST, like had cash in hand, bought a 53 coupe a few years back for a stupid low price.. And I got talked out of it.. So Im actually a little mad at you for building such a rad one, thanks for rubbing it in bro.. ;)

21. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

Dash looks Great!!!

22. BadLuck

BadLuck

dash is awesome.. my pops had a 59 El Camino.. those have got to be the baddest dashes out there.. great job!

23. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thank you guys!

Sucks you got talked out of buying a 53 coupe. Dont see a lot of them out there. Thanks for the props!

Thanks

Thanks CJ, your car is looking so rad with paint! Can't wait to see it someday!

24. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Man your doing some killer work on this 53 ,I'm really diggin the dash treatment , keep up the great work .

25. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

That dash looks great... a true work of art!

26. Tin Can

Tin Can

Dash looks good man! Double check to make sure the vent window cranks still work and do not hit the dash. I made that mistake in mine. Gonna make my wing windows manual push now.

27. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks Cody, gotta say that your 59 is looking so rad now with paint! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks dude

So I havent had a chance yet to throw my cranks back on to see if they will conflict. It looks like i might be just ok.... Thanks for the information tho!

28. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

29. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Towed the 53 down to the Langley Cruise In yesterday to put it on display with the rest of my club, the Kingsmen. Had a great day and saw a lot of really nice hotrods. Was very humbled with the response and praise I received from a lot of people that spoke to me about the progress on the car. Thanks also goes out to jay (Schaefer) for all the help. Time to get more fab work done!

[​IMG]

30. misordia

misordia

Looks killer man. Cant wait for more updates