Register now to get rid of these ads!

Start a club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolbreeze1340, Aug 21, 2011.

1. I say go for it - even though it was disasterous - sp? for me/us. Our "leader" came up with a name and artwork (which was just cut and pasted off the net). He asked for our input and about getting shirts printed up. I thought the name was "lacking". He asked for our opinions, and I was honest. That pretty much ended our "friendship". I later apologized - why? - and said I liked just "hanging out" and that we didn't need a club. Turns out, the name was already being used by some group in the north metro - we would have looked VERY stupid. The bottom line is: we had different views on what is cool and what is not, and those views become applified when you make it a "club". A club should stand for something, whatever it may be. Clubs are for when you truely have similar visions. Good luck.

2. Oh we have jackets...

And we also are much more than our Wednesday night club meetings. We have all been friends for many years, and will be for many more. I talk to my club brothers more than I talk to my girlfriend. Seriously.
    We hang out all the time. When one of us is having a family barbeque, the whole club is invited. Hell when Johnny's brother in law has a barbeque, we all show up and are welcomed.
    We help each other out with personal shit, as well as car shit. We are not just a car club, we are a family. You could take our jackets and our cars away, and we would still be together.
    We don't go to the local A&W cruise nights, we rarely go to car shows, in fact most of "car scene" in Edmonton doesn't even know we exist. We are not about "impressing" the local car guys with our cool jackets and our hot rods, most of them wouldn't get it anyways. We are about having a good time amongst ourselves, and building cars we like. We just happen to like traditional hot rods and kustoms, and every Wednesday we take pictures to share with you guys.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You said the truth there.

4. 54Kriminal

54Kriminal
    from Texas

So true i used to be president of a car club with alot of my good friends it was fun as hell when it was all about the cars (you would think "CAR club") but then it gets so political you get new members in and they start to think they will change things ... or whatever... guys get voted out or leave then they try revenge on you by starting there own deal and trying to persuade all the guys to join them treating it like a gang...drama drama drama...do i still keep in contact with any of those guys after i got out or them with me....NOPE!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Honestly... its a either or man... My personal take getting 2 clubs off the ground with friends has been very brutal and tiring... its tons of work and you cant really charge dues etc just make people buy their own hat or jacket or sticker or plaque. Remember the more people the more problems. and dont vote anyone in in less than 6 months to 1 yr... Some people need a club to be someone.... Some people like many of us here are good either way... its good to have like minded people you roll around with... There will be times where you wana kick everyones ass.... Just saying.

6. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

Our club JESTERS,its cool been in around 6 years or so I like the jackets and shirts and wear them proudly ,I like showing off my plaque and roll with my club members whenever possible .Their is drama everywhere just have a facebook account ,or watch this site,you just either want to or dont,but do what you think is fun ,and have fun with it.:cool:

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

being in a club or not being in one does not determine if you are anyone or not... Being someone is being someone and standing tall on your own or with others... And yeah when you got a good group of people... everyone standing tall and loud and proud thats what its about... its a family and should always be that way... if a club cant be that way then it shouldnt be around..

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

no wives or girl friends only hold meetings at a shop

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

YEAH.... SO FREAKIN TRUE>..... :cool:

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

After 30 years in a 39 year club it's fun...and a challenge.You have three main types:the ones that do,the ones that don't and the ones that show up when there's an event or food planned?
    You have to ask yourself what is the club going to "do" and hope for like-minded individuals.Money and children weigh into the situation as not everyone is ready to run to a show,work on a project or buy the next new thing when you are?
    In essence,life gets in the way of any hobby?

Best of luck!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  11. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I belonged to a club started in 1958, and it was a great club. everyone had and worked on their cars and helped each other. Most of the members moved away died or had kids and couldn't afford toys anymore. About 6 years ago they started another club in the county and I joined thinking it would be like it was back then. Boy was I wrong. They thought bigger was better and started getting people in the club that were check writers and didnt know a tire from a spark plug. I've been building cars for 55 years and was told by one member I didnt know anything about cars or car shows. We had a show where a member show's up with his car puts it in his mothers name, the guy that built the car judged it and it got first in class and best of show. at the next meeting I brought up the fact that it pissed a lot of people off and we should change the way it was done. Everybody in the room knew I was right but nobody backed me. that is when I decided I did not need this shit. we have a group of about 6 couples that get togeather and cruse. New club [no dues no meetings no rules except drive your cars and like to eat. I run the plaque from the club I belonged to in the 50's] p.s. had one women in the club tell my wife her car was ugly.

12. Moldy1956

Moldy1956

If it weren't for Clubs, alot of your shows wouldn't exist!! I say do it, but keep it small. I'm trying to expand a Cali club that i had to leave and make another branch in Nebraska. We're only 5 deep, and there is alot of drama, but when u fill a parking lot every month full of bitchin people and rides, it feels good. No dues, no meeting. Just show up and be commited. You're in.

13. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

ill prob get hung for this,,, but your folks were in a club from years back,, people now dayz are selfish hypocrites,, look here,,, guys here sayn NO clubs,, but in sum way isnt this one ??? and doesnt it have rules??? and drama??? omg does this place have drama... so from that ,,, make sum friends here , get sum advice on cars/tech/pics etc. but when it comes to personal life and social interactions most have no clue... most here are legends in theyre own minds,,,or kiss azz followers.. if you have real friends that know whatthe rules are going in and yall are all like minded,,yall can have lots of fun...

14. MissPrint

MissPrint

Why resurrect a "zombie thread" :confused: on a drama topic? Sigh.

15. scroungers car club is looking for new members for our Louisiana chapter, we are a family oriented club. contact james at 985-768-9577

16. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

as with any other grouping of people politics and power struggle begin to creep in. that includes car clubs, Jaycees, city council, etc, etc. it's just human nature.

17. trollst

trollst

Well, I've read all the posts to this point...if you want to start a club, its not hard, find like minded people and call yourselves the coolest name you can think of, try hard to get along cause a few of you won't be able to. Then someones old lady who handles the treasury begins to think she has final approval over where the funds are spent, her old man is too weak to put her in her place, hard feelings ensue, finally you get 30 or 40 members, but three of you do all the work, you question how this smooth running little group of builders and help each other out bunch of guys got this way....and you quit. Meanwhile, the gold chainers and the "took out a second mortgage to buy my car" guys carry on cause being in a club is the be all to end all for them. Its a social thing.
    Been there, done that, both with motorcycles and cars, if you think you'd like to be in a club join, but really....if you got your shit together, others will seek you out, you'll become known and you don't need no stinkin club. I suspect most of the hambers are like me, interested in building and belonging to a community of like minded guys and girls, which in the end...is a club attitude of sorts, fellow hambers will help in the event of a breakdown, just ask, someone will come, just like the good old days your parents lived in. Me? I've had it with the "club" mentality, got good friends, thats all I need.

18. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I'm with RASH! It's just another commitment:cool:

19. Both of them? :D (yea, thats the best I could come up with in 12 months :rolleyes: )

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i have been in small clubs since high school . small works good ( like 5-7)! just my opinion .