Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects HAVE to Finish the LYNDWOOD by October 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 18, 2009.

1. that would be the SON of your little girl in the picture when you started this thread. when it is done, he can be the first to run it down the track.:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. scarylarry

scarylarry

Hmmmm, Hershey, exactly 2 weeks too late!!! : (

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Too late for what? Your meet is before Hershey isn't it? Rough plan was to show it with all the other Lyndwoods, then do Hershey a few weeks later. :) Bob

4. scarylarry

scarylarry

See, I'm back to happy! Onward!!!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Your request that I drag the car to your meet got this MOON tank search started. Buying the brake parts is next, then the LaSalle rebuild, buy two Firestones from Coker, get the ALGON gear made, then think about bolting the SBC parts together. I guess it could be done in 3 months, but I'm sure I'll get distracted over something. Bob:rolleyes:

6. noboD

noboD

Is your Hershey registration in yet?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Need to return a call to Lynn at HQ, something about car photos. I requested registration info, haven't recieved any yet. Bob

8. noboD

noboD

Do you need me to intervene?{ stick my nose where it doesn't belong?} She wasn't at work a few days this week. Ask her for the story of the turkey buzzard in the HEAD office without telling her you know me.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

No need for a horses head....yet, but thanks for the offer. Just applied some Gibbs Oil to my 5 Spokes, they look good. Here are some 1962 photos of the car.

Attached Files:

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is the HAMB, unless there are photos nobody believes things. Thanks Larry, asking me to bring "Alley Oop" to your event, got me motivated again. Tank was found, springs and hoses cut, filler is soaking with PB Blaster. Now I have to find and sell more stuff to buy the new MOON tank and have the original filler attached to it. Took the covers off the car to take these photos and found a new pair of reading glasses on the seat, it was a great weekend. Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Looks good. Has been a while since I have seen it. Glad to see you are making progress on it. Keep going, the end is closer than you think!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

That trip back to Lyndwood shop to have the welding done by Pat Bilbow's son Bob 20+ years ago was a fun trip. Seams like only a few months ago that you, and your Dad and brother came along for the ride. I should have taken more photos. Take a look at the car, the front wheels and tires, MOON front cover, ALGON injection system, and Crosley steering box were all supplied by Nick The Bandit.Bob

13. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Wow, 20+ years????? I couldnt be getting that old. Must have been more like 8 or 9 years, right?
    As far as I know Joe Potter still has his in his shed/garage. Mocked up with no driveline. Not for sale-I tried.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

That trip to Lyndwood was January 6, 1990! I think Joe's chassis is the one my steering box came from. I had another Lyndwood chassis that came out of NorthEast Connecticut, sold it with a Bantam Coupe body, wonder who has that now?

15. lookslikerusttome

lookslikerusttome
    from CT

if he is as risk taking as his dad is, i'll be watching with my eyes closed!! :p

16. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

here it is blasted and primed hanging in the garage
    [​IMG]

17. scarylarry

scarylarry

See ya this weekend, right?????

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looking back 23 years ago today, I was at LyndWeld having Pat Bilbow's son Bob do some welding on my Lyndwood chassis that came out of this shop in 1959.

Attached Files:

19. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

OK BOB ...I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag...Thanks for giving us at the Dover Drag Strip Forum the advance 'alert' that you have put the car FOR SALE on ebay...as I write this,we've gotten over 340 hits on the topic since 9 am this morning, and you already have 10 bids on it. Hope to heck ,a "Dover Guy" gets the car and finishes the restoration correctly as a Dover Legend. It was at Opening day of the track in '61 and considered as You say, the "Dover House" car.
    Bobs states on the For Sale Page;
    "This is one of 12 known Lyndwood rails, built by Pat Bilbow of Lyndwood Welding in 1959 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. and raced until 1962 by the Danbury, Ct. Modifiers Car Club. Car restoration was started with lots of research, I have a ring binder filled with period photos. It raced in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island in the early days of the sport. It was the House Car at DOVER DRAG Strip in Wingdale, N. Y. Won 11 Low ET's in 1962 and won the Pepsi Points Award, was featured in How to Hop Up Your Engine magazine January 1963. I had hoped to finish the restoration and win the Race Car Class at the AACA Hershey Meet in October, but life has put a change in that plan. Everything that has been done is show quality, the machine work was done by a local NASCAR engine builder. The car has been a lot of fun even if I never fully finished it. The to do list is as follows, assemble the fully machined period correct SBC, rebuild the ALGON injection system, Buy two Firestone slicks from Coker to match the originals in the photos, I HAVE the 5 Spoke American mags , REAL magnesium wheels, rebuild the Caddy-LaSalle transmission and rebuild the brakes. PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS, I'll be adding more photos, and can send detailed shots if needed. The build has been on the HAMB for years, it is easy to find. I expect payment at the end of the auction, pick up can be arranged and the car stored here without any problems. Yes, I'm sad to be selling this project, I've had a lot of fun with it, but life goes on, not a carefully planned sale so please ask for more photos. Best wishes for 2013!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...1247346?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a7d5b6ef2

...our topic on it:
    http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4027<!-- m -->

20. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

say it ain't so! wanna do some bartering? wish I had some cash.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Joe, That is the only reason I'm parting with "Alley Oop", bills and no cash.I just hope the guy that finishes the restoration has the same passion for detail so it looks like it did on June 17, 1962. Bob

22. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

If I had the money I would certainly do it justice. As much as selling stuff out of the collection sucks, it sure beats losing the house or not eating.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Having an 8 month old Grandson as my nextdoor neighbor means everything to me. I can focus on the Roadster and ride around with him in that in a few years. Bob :)

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Lots of people don't worry about things like bills...hope you get big bucks for it. To me that car is as signifigant as any of the Fancy Dan cars in the NHRA Museum.

25. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Someone musta got it....He pulled it off Ebay ....?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  26. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

OK Bob....Fill us in ?

27. noboD

noboD

Hopefully he found the garbage bag of twenties he stashed in the basement and doesn't have to sell it.

28. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Riding in the roadster with your grandson will be much more fulfilling for both of you than you finishing the dragster. Who knows, if you spark his interest he might track down the dragster when he is old enough and buy it!

29. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

I agree

30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i have talked to bob a few times over the years because i have a project dragster im working on also. we spoke the other day about his dragster. hated to see him sell it. but some times you have to do it. im finally getting back to mine. if you sold it hang in there bob. sounds like you have a roadster to play with!