Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone mount there coil in the Cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty30Dodge, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

I dont have hardly any room on the outside of the firewall to mount the ignition coil and no room on the engine. The dodge had the coil mounted inside the cab for some reason when I got it. Has anyone ran the coil inside under the dash and if so how much heat did it produce? enough to be bothersome in the summer?
    Thanks
    Jer

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv done it …….. Works out good w chevy’s / distributor on the wrong end of the motor

3. harley man

harley man

Was done all the time in stockcars.

4. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Ok I will give it a shot otherwise I woud have to mount it out on the edge of the firewall. I didnt like that. Wrong side of the motor? hhmm my Hemi must have that to LOL

Thanks

5. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

We ran them on O/T mud trucks inside the cab. Bit we also ran a brether tube into the cab to keep it dry. Tje coil should be alright the heat isnt enough that you should notice.

6. Just make sure the grommet is very thick between the wire and sheet metal or it could arc. Make sure the wire has slack on both ends to account for engien movement. And ALWAYS mount the coil with the terminals UP. We ran our coil in the air plenum on our stock car to keep it cool.

weld on ........:cool:

7. Fenders

Fenders

Yah I though of putting the coil under the dash for my next build -- DeSoto 291 hemi...

8. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I've done it a couple of times works fine. Here's my 34 Pickup.

Attached Files:

9. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Great Thanks Guys! Nice Electronics Mat !

10. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Why should you always mount the coil with terminals up? I know most antique cars/trucks had the coil either mounted on its side or upside down like Chevrolets did in the 1920s-50s.

11. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

My old one was sideways if I remember. I have read post on it mainly leaking oil and not having the internals in the oil to cool it. I am sure some one can ad to this. I think I Looked up Coil mounting is what I searched for when I found the posts

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run all of the ignition components that can be moved under the dash. Makes for a cleaner engine compartment, and a water-safe one on hood-less cars in the event that you get trapped in the rain. I use a MSD coil wire pass-through for proper isolation.

13. noboD

noboD

Your '30 DB had the coil inside from new. And VW ran coils with the teminals pointing down on ALL the air cooled cars, never created a problem. That's over 16 million Beetles plus buses and Kommon Gears.

14. Vergil

Vergil

Four coils plus sparkplug wires on mine.

[​IMG]

15. Ran mine inside on my 30' A. Worked great. No heat issues.

16. ^^^^^ Sano,and works out well.LQQk into this.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

<<<<< Coil under the dash on that thing. No problems. Just keep and fuzzy type insulation away from the coil.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It works for me.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"And ALWAYS mount the coil with the terminals UP."

I've had the coil upside down in my '37 for 20-some years with no ill effect.

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have everything but the coil mounted inside. I made a bracket and put the coil between the dist. and the carb. (small block chev), this gives me a clean firewall with the engine wires coming thru the lower lip of the firewall.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chrysler products had the coil in the dash for years. They did it as an anti theft measure. The ignition switch was on the back of the coil, connected by an armored cable to the key switch. Made it practically impossible to hot wire.

22. Old Dude

Old Dude

Looks Good. my son has wired quite a few Street Rods. Mostly behind someone that wired themselves, and put those Cheap China Chromed Coils on Engine. They are like Santa, when he gets Hot, it shakes like a bowl of Jello. Everytime they get hot, they quit, ask Carlos ! :) Dont buy cheap shiney COILS, I don't like to put Coil on Chevy Engine.

23. Old Dude

Old Dude

Looks Good. my son has wired quite a few Street Rods. Mostly behind someone that wired themselves, and put those Cheap China Cromed Coils on Engine. They are like Santa, when he gets Hot, it shakes like a bowl of Jello. Everytime they get hot, they quit, ask Carlos ! :) Dont buy cheap shiney COILS, I don't like to put Coil on Chevy Engine.

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Why not ? Henry Put all the Model T coils on the dash side of the firewall. 15 million of 'em all seemed to work ok.

4TTRUK