Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unisteer cross steering bracket pic's - Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Sep 7, 2012.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Could somebody using one of these Unisteer setups please post some good close up pic's of how the bracket looks and attaches to both the chassis and the steering unit.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

bump...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Apologies, I said EZ steering however on reflection I did mean Unisteering bracket.
    That is what I'd like to see...

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I bought a close out unit which came without a bracket.
    I dont have a vega steering bracket on my frame so I was just trying to visualise how the original brackets work.

I found this pic, but would hope to see what others have done when not running with the vega swap.

I'd be real keen to know what thickness material I should be using for this bracket...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

5. Why not just pick up a vega bracket? They are only $15-20. Then you have the right thickness as well as not having to dick around trying to get the holes spaced properly.

6. Andy

Andy

I advise selling the UniSteer. I am working on a car now for a friend. He thought it was a good idea and had one installed. You can't turn the thing. It takes three steps to get in my garage where my 32 with vega just turns and goes in. You can't park it or even make a normal right turn. Talk or better yet, drive a car with one.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Andy,....Didn't know it was that limited..... Guess I'll keep my Vegamatic box..........

4TTRUK

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The unisteer unit did not come with its own bracket which I though would not be an issue since I did not have the vega setup any way.
    Now I'd like to see what brackest folks have when nit installing to a vegas bracket.

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

From what I have heard some folks swear by them yet others swear at them...

It is going on a car that I dont intend to keep forever so I was not too concerned.

Just wanted to try one out for myself.

10. jimbousman

jimbousman

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

12. jimbousman

jimbousman

13. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

I worked on a customers car last month that had one and was surprised by the amount of flex in the factory bracket. I did not get a picture of it sorry.

The factory adapter bracket does not any gusset on it and the angle built into the bracket (97 degress) did not set the tie rod coming out of the rack at the correct angle. It was not at the correct height either.

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

15. rare32

rare32

friend of mine , benflathead, his dad has a unisteer in his 33 roadster. I drove it the other day and it seemed pretty nice to me..... turning circle was better than the most common used steering box here in Australia.

I can try to get bracket pics but I am sure they used 3/8 plate drilled and tapped with a gusset behind it where it dropped below the chassis

16. rare32

rare32

here is a pic where you can just see the bracket
    [​IMG]

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Made my own one piece bracket, copied it from a friends bracket.

You wouldn't know the difference.

Thanks to Maval Products for screwing me around, gave me the determination I needed to do it myself and saved plenty...

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Not much point posting a pic as it looks exactly the same as the stock item...