Register now to get rid of these ads!

9" ford flange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Sep 7, 2012.

1. guys can someone tell me what type of yoke this is? The flange itself is 3.5" across O.D., The I.D. across the flange is 3", Center to center on flange bolt holes are 1.25" of narrow measurement and 2.25" on the wider measurement. hope my description isn't confusing. thanks! the bolt circle is 5 on 4.5" and the rearend id is 1967

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The yoke is for a "mechanics" type u-joint.

4. can anyone add to that as i'm not familiar with this type. thanks so far.:D

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

When I just did a search for "mechanics type u joint" this was the first result :
    http://www.drive-lines.com/ujs/uj_mechanics.php

I have seen them used on trucks and older cars.

6. thanks CutawayAl!

7. they must have used this type of yoke since they had a 402/pg in the truck, they look like they use a heavy-duty u-joint. Can a guy simply change the pinion yoke?

8. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah you can change the pinion yoke, but make sure you understand about pinion bearing preload, etc before you do. There's a little more to it than just swapping the yoke.

9. i should have been a little more clear that i do understand bearing preload and directed the question to the pinion yoke seal as that i what i was thinking but not typing, DOH!:eek: Someone must have swapped things around as this rearend seems to be out of a mid 60's car, did they have this type of yoke? Are these high HP setups? thanks.:D

10. chop32

chop32

The stock 9" in my buddys '57 Ranchero had this type of yoke and '57 was the first year of the 9" rear. Check the diameter of the ring gear, if its less than a true 9" diameter, someone swapped a '57ish 3rd member into your later housing, or changed the yoke. The fact that they stopped using this type of yoke in the mid to late '50's says that they arent a high HP setup.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It's a more expensive design to make, so that would have had something to do with it being superseded. They are heavier too. They are still used in heavy trucks, so strength apparently isn't an issue.

12. johnboy13

johnboy13

I have a 57 9" in my truck and it doesn't have that yoke.

13. chop32

chop32

Makes sense...I didnt know they were still in use today!

14. I have to admit i have never seen one until i posted this thread. Makes me think that the dropout may be a early 9" from the 50' and the housing is from the 60's. damm u-joint is 5 times the price and not very common item that really results in having to carry a spare.

15. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

50's truck yoke from what I've noticed on one or two of our trucks before.
    I'm pretty sure those yokes are decently strong as some friends of mine own a towing company and if I remember right, their heavy trucks use those on their drive shaft yokes too.

16. little update on yoke: removed it today and along with the pinion seal and was wondering are all 9" ford pinion seals the same? from what i measured the O.D of seal is 2.93", .371" thick and pinion yoke O.D. is 1.8" and it was a ford seal with no numbers on it. pinion yoke I.D is 1.3", would that be standard 28 spline yoke? thanks guys.

17. squirrel

squirrel

no, there are a couple different seals.

Most of them fit a 3" housing bore.

18. just my luck! better figure out which one before i hit the parts store or it could result in "EPIC FAIL"!

19. squirrel

squirrel

If you have the casting number of the part it fits into that would help. For example C5AW or something similar. C5A means 1965 full size car

20. looks like a national seal 7044NA is the one i need from my research.

21. squirrel

squirrel

22. yes it is and it's on the way!

23. Picked up a pinion yoke this morning, pulled it off a 63' Galaxie 2dr ht. sitting in Ecology auto parts Thousand Palms Ca. The car is very savable with some really nice red interior
    (bench seat) and what a fucking shame!:(