Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying Vintage Plates for you Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knucklehead29, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Does anyone have any tips to doing this? I look on ebay and I see them ranging from $40-250. What is the difference? Some plates say NOS in the description. What does that mean? Also, some plates have a little bit of paint loss and some corrosion, is this something the state will make you fix before you can register them? I live in Texas, so I am wondering how many have had any experience with this. Thanks.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Not from Texas..but I bought mine for the 28 at a swap meet..and I bought the ones for my 53 at a swap meet..
    the one on my 53 i sandblasted and re-painted the original color of that year (black with white letters and numbers)

the 28 ones look ok, so im not going to do anything to them but bolt them on when im done with that car.

i dont think they will care if they show a little wear or some rust..ive seen some pretty ratty plates on cars..

but thats Michigan..i cant say for Texas..

there are licence plate collectors that sell plates on line too

3. James427

James427
    BANNED

Price will reflect condition mostly but sometimes the numbers on the plate will increase it's value if they match something like an engine dissplacment. EXAMPLE: if you had a 1967 license plate that happened to say "RAD-427" that plate would bring big bucks.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

nice

Attached Files:

6. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Here in California you must have a matched set that is "clear" which means the numbers are not in use by someone else. NOS = New Original Stock or unused.
    The price varies depending on year (demand). For example, 1951 plates sell for twice as much as 1922 plates. Don't try to take repro plates to the DMV. California usually allows restored plates although the law is ambiguous about it. Unfortunately the knowledge and attitude varies widely at the individual DMV offices ranging from helpful to hostile. Even if you make it out of the branch office ok, Sacramento can still kill your application. For more info see: www.OLDPL8s.com

7. Geophyguy

Geophyguy

I've done it in Texas with a decent pair I bought from a swap meet for $40. The tax office just wanted to look at them to make sure they were a matching pair, correct for the vehicle, and still readable. They printed out a sheet for me with pictures and correct colors for all the Texas plates (Car, Truck, Farm, etc.) from the 40's & 50's. Very helpfull. I was running antique plates already so all they did was change the plate number in the system. Very easy.

8. I just did this here in KC & got the plate at a swap meet, took it to DMV when I renewed the antique tag & asked the question while pointing at the new/old plate. They took the plate for about 10 minutes....ran the numbers....came back & said the numbers were no longer assigned to anything & charged me $35 instead of the normal $17-.

Said next year, it will be back to the $17- & to just switch the plates & carry both printed Registrations...the one with the Antique plate info & the new one showing the Antique plate switched to the new/old plate info.

Carl

9. I saw someone selling some plates with the letters FU-### and I was surprised he only wanted $50 for the pair. NOS = New Old Stock which presumably means they were never on a car.

10. Michale777

Michale777

I just tagged mine here in Texas with 1960 plates and had no problems, the tags just have to match and not be completely rusted out. You can find them all over, I did a google search and found mine on e-bay for $50 bucks. Some years are just harder to find than others and the price will reflect this.

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I use a YOM (year of manufacture) plate because its its a one time $35 fee thats good for life. Even 32 Michigan plates in pretty good condition are are at the swap meets for about $30.

[​IMG]

12. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

The only hang up I've run across with vintage plates in VA is that the numbers can't be a duplicate of any current plate that's in circulation. And, the state code requires that the plates be "legible" but what is "legible" is up to the DMV employee that does your paper work. Repainting is ok as long as it's done in the original colors.

13. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Awesome guys. Thanks so much for the info. I feel much better about purchasing these plates online with this knowledge.

14. Dontiac

Dontiac

I might add that if you get a set that you do want to repaint. Register them first and then repaint. I friend took his freshly repainted ones to the tag office here in Kansas and they treated him like a criminal. Took them away and sent the plates to the state DMV to verify that they were still original plates and not modified or repo's. Didn't get them back for 3 months.

15. Aviator

Aviator

In Mississippi, you can run authentic historical license plates (YOM) of the same year of issuance as the model year of the antique automobile or street rod. There is a one-time $25.00 fee. The state tax commission approves the plate. It must be in satisfactory original condition or refurbished to a satisfactory condition. Reference MS Code 27-19-56.11

16. In GA, they issue a Hobby/Antique tag that you have to carry in the vehicle but do not have to display. Vehicles '70 model and older can run Year of Manufacture tag instead (GA does not require front tag). You take the YOM tag into the county tax commissioner's office. They look at it to verify that it's an original GA tag and in legible condition. They register that tag to the vehicle and cross-reference it in the computer to the Hobby/Antique tag that you carry in the car. It's a good idea to go to the Georgia General Assembly web site and print out a copy of code section 40-2-41.1, the code section authorizing the display of YOM tags. The only time I've ever been stopped in my truck was by a local Barney Fife who didn't know the law on YOM tags and didn't think they were legal. Had to educate him on the law. Probably a good idea in any state that allows YOM tags, as there are probably many Barneys out there who don't know the law pertaining to YOM tags.

17. i agree with Dontiac,register them first. here in Minnesota you only need one plate that is readable and not already registered. the MN law actually says that they cannot be restored , but many do. i even know a guy that made his own YOM plate and it went through with no problems

the 1936 Mn plate on my `36 i believe i paid $20 for at a swap meet. $35 registration fee for the life of the car

18. sundance

sundance
    from minnesota

in minnesota,two plates are required if the car is newer than -i believe--1964

19. i may be wrong , i think it is 25 years..or maybe 30? i guess if i wasn't so lazy i would check it out on the Mn DOT website. anyway , any car old enough to get Street Rod or Collector plates is old enough to only need one plate. in Mn, you must apply for a street rod or collector plates and then the YOM plate is used in place of it

FYI....not to take over this post , but have any of you Minnesota guys been to the Dot website lately? there is a lot of info available online.....on one search feature you can plug in you drivers license number and it will tell you all the cars registered in your name

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  20. joel torres

joel torres

before you do anything to an orig plate find out the law for your state some sates don't allow you to repaint them before they are registered i have delt with this site pl8s.com the guy is real cool and helped me with all my questions
    cool thing about my 47 ny plate that year they only issued one plate

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

In NY you only have to send them a photo of the two plates, preferably with the intended vehicle in the photo. If it is a year that calls for two plates, they want to see both plates in the one photo. NY does not like restored plates, but there is no enforcement of that that I am aware of. (Although I think a weathered plate looks better, anyway.) You send it off to Albany and they check to see if the plate number is available. If it is you are good to go. NOTE: in NY, this only works for historical plates. With regular tags you cannot use YOM plates.

22. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i paid $20 for my original 31 oregon plate (just one) in above average condition.

24. If you need some Texas plates, contact Jessee Perez in San Antonio, he has a huge stash of matching plates and is very reasonable. He gave me a break on prices for multiple plates.
    I paid between $35 and $125 for the plates I purchased from him.

25. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

cant get no simpler here in tn. register your car as an antique vehicle , its a lifetime tag . keep it in your trunk with a screwdriver and run your vintage tag . on the states web site they have a form or letter you can print off and carry with you incase you get a unfamiliar ocifer .

26. Link?? I wonder if there is one where you could find all the people who owned your car in the past? Now, that would be cool. History there.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of the YOM plates but you have to wonder if there are stacks of old plates that were never issued in the basements or attics of old back country courthouses around the country.

28. slamnfreak

slamnfreak
    from Washington

I lucked up and found mine on Ebay ($25 for the pair, with the keytag license plate).

29. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I live in MO and it's a one time $35 fee, good for as long as you own the car. Get paperwork from DMV send in your money with a pick of the plate for them to make sure nobody else has the same plate #. Another good thing is you never have to get it inspected either, here in MO anyway. I only run a rear plate and have never had any trouble. I have $15 for the 26 plate off Ebay, and $35 for my 32 plate from a swapmeet. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

X2 for Jesse Perez. License Plate Jesse is a well-known vendor at almost every swap meet in South Texas. He regularly attends Key To The Hills in Boerne, which is coming up next month, for example. There's another vendor from Lockhart whose name escapes me right now but I bought my '30, 31, and '32 plates from him.
    Fearless