Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 speed for flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatout phil, Sep 4, 2012.

1. flatout phil

flatout phil
    from Australia

i would like to put a 5 speed manual box behind a 285ci ford flathead in an A coupe. i've noticed that most flathead powered cars run a S10 gearbox. in australia we never got the s10 pickup. what's the main reason for this being so popular. where do i get a gearbox from & is there any particular model i should be looking for. also what clutch & flywheel do i need to look out for.
    thanks Phil.

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I used a toyota supra gearbox, a flatattack adapter bellhousing and a stock clutch pressure plate and flywheel with a landcruiser clutch disc. Supra gearboxes have become near impossible to get in the last few years, as they are popular in other swaps too, but you can use a Celica box as well, but the shifter position ends up being too far back. the Supra shifter can be set up forward with some mods (I do this as a service) ,Or you can import an S10 gearbox.
    4 speed Top loaders can also be used, (you can get overdrive gear ratios for 4th gear)and you can get an adapter to run a top shift like an early ford gearbox. this route is pretty expensive, but most of these swaps are. budget on $3-4000 once its all done, and that should save you the heartache of wallet shock.

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

the S-10 is popular because of the shifter location. Most all other t-5's have the shifter towards the rear of the tail housing.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Did you get Jeep Cherokees in OZ? The Jeep AX15 5 spd/OD gearbox is an Aisin Warner unit, same as the Toyota Supra units and the shifter is well forward for early car apps. The 2 wheel drive trans is best for rear drive cars as it has a tailhousing setup for an open driveline, whereas the 4 WD units bolt direct to the transfer case and would require some fabrication to use a conventional driveshaft.

Novak adapters has an adapter plate that replaces the (removable ) bellhousing and replicates the standard GM Chevy manual trans bolt pattern, and use the GM front bearing retainer for the throw out bearing. You can use a standard flathead pressure plate and a disc that matches the Jeep splines. If I remember correctly, that is a common GM spline count/diameter.

Ray

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Pretty sure any T-5 will accept the S-10 tail housing. That's what you are after is the forward shifter location, not so much the transmission. Isuzu Hombre had the same stuff, if you have them in Australia...? Stock Flathead flywheel, pressure plate, T.O. and bellhousing will work with clutch disk to fit your trans. Then all you need is an adapter to bolt it to the bellhousing.

Sounds easy right...?

6. flatout phil

flatout phil
    from Australia

if i run the s10, does the original throw out bearing & clutch fork still get used. who's the best to try and get an adapter plate from?

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Yes, you will use the original flathead stuff. Speedway has them, I'm sure there are others.

8. flatout phil

flatout phil
    from Australia

thanks for the replies
    Phil.

9. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

10. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I used a mid 80s s10 trans with the Dwight Bond adapter. Use the truck hogshead and all original flathead clutch parts except the clutch disc which needs to be a different spline. Bought the disc from speedway. Best thing I ever did to my A. Cost less than $500 but I did it all myself.