Register now to get rid of these ads!

Garage to small to work in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drivinford, Sep 7, 2012.

1. easilly.

2. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

3. crashgravis

crashgravis

not to small , but it has so much termite damage i'm afraid it will fall in on me ,so i work outside :(

4. I gotta kind of agree. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a foreclosure in the middle of the most recent housing crisis and fix it up. It has a pretty small one car garage and I usually have to back my truck out of it to get anything done. before that I was working in a dirt driveway at my old place (renter). I hate to be a wet blanket, but we're all pretty lucky to be complaining about having a small garage when a lot of people recently lost their homes, projects, everything.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Fellas, don't take this stuff so seriously. This is a discussion. That's what buddies do, shoot the breeze.

I'd invite you two inside my garage to do that, but it's too small, so we'll have to stand outside. :D

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Get this, I know a guy that has an oversize two car garage, a 30 by 30 shop and had a 30 by 60 shop with heat and A/C built. He has a street rod that he keeps in the "small shop" then uses most of the "big shop" for entertaining. And he doesn't even work on his own vehicles.

7. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I hope Jay Leno doesn't speak up. Then we all would feel bad!

8. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

A few months ago I was in the Coffeyville, KS area picking up a vehicle from a guy that had a farm (e i e o -- oh sorry). Besides his huge barn he had a shop -- just a little shop of 60' by 100' to work on his toys. He was the first guy I have ever heard of complain that his shop was too big. He said it's a long walk from one end to the other. Oh, to have such a problem.

9. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andy.sawyer
    stop whining.

I gotta kind of agree. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a foreclosure in the middle of the most recent housing crisis and fix it up. It has a pretty small one car garage and I usually have to back my truck out of it to get anything done. before that I was working in a dirt driveway at my old place (renter). I hate to be a wet blanket, but we're all pretty lucky to be complaining about having a small garage when a lot of people recently lost their homes, projects, everything.

Your garage is plenty big enough to store....DEEZ NUTZ!

10. jazz1

jazz1

Well I got rid of the hot tub in my garage! Don't get enough done with that thing in there but now I got a couple of those zero gravity chairs set next to the bar ,,,I can fold them up though

[​IMG]

11. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

<<<<< my 1 car garage !

12. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

No matter how big your shop is it will always be to small!!!!!

13. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

<<<<< Looks just like my 1 car garage. Better than nothing, but i wish I had my dad's 3 car garage..

14. Drivinford

Drivinford

Good point rdp

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

He may actually agree with the folks... I assume he's got a "little" room left to grow his collection, though.

16. It's full, but I'm gratefull!

Attached Files:

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dan, what size is it?

18. ChefMike

ChefMike

I work in a tent with a gravel floor ! thou I'm going to pour a cement floor in October . we all learn to work with what we have !

19. 22 wide 20 deep. The key in a full or small shop is to stay organized and don't let non car stuff in. Get a small shed for lawn equipment/Christmas decorations and other stuff. My house came with a 5x10 shed and boy do
    I use it!

20. Also Brent, I don't have a lot of "big tools" my dad could only get one car in to work on in his 20x20 because he had every big tool.. Welder, break, press, lathe etc.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, it's why I'm needing to do an addition. Add to the shop tools 4 bodies, 4 frames, 5 engines/drivetrains, etc.

With the addition I'm going to put in a 4 post lift to park 2 vehicles. The idea of using the 20x20 as the build side sounds nice, but I'm not sure the small side would allow me the organization of the large side. Plus, I could install radiant heat on the small side and work comfortably year round.

I guess I've got some contemplating to do.

22. Shorty

Shorty

My current project. I also did a frame off on an off topic 74 Chevy pick-up out of this garage. Sure I wish I had more room but I'm happy as hell to have what I do have....:D By the way I got the A from Chadilac here on the HAMB a couple of years ago. A truly outstanding individual.

Attached Files:

23. My shop is simply my two car garage and it would be plenty big enough if it weren't for my wife and my small colony of children constantly storing, stacking, throwing and piling stuff up in it.

Add to that the fact that my wicked cool 1984 John Deere 318 mower is in there and all my yard tools and I have to spend a half hour unpacking and cleaning the garage every time I want to work on the car.

I'm currently saving $$ in a Dave Ramsey envelope to buy a big shed for all the non-car stuff.

That will be a HUGE help when it happens.

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Shorty, what's the size of yours?

25. firingorder1

firingorder1

Whine, whine, whine. Happy to have what I have.

[​IMG]
    By weslake at 2012-02-05

26. ironpile

ironpile

I would like to have more than a 14x23 inclosed carport,but I get by.Summer heat bothers me but it`s heated and I can work all winter if I need to.Ambition is what I really need.

27. 62rebel

62rebel

when i lived in Lynchburg Va, i had a 2 car garage (HAH) that was little more than some rough-cut pine trees with a roof on it... i NEVER worked inside it. it had a dirt floor and was too dark for safety.... i did ALL of my wrenching in the driveway, which, BTW, was large enough that i had ten cars parked in it at one time.... stupid ME sold that place to move to SC and haven't had a decent place to work since. the driveway is concrete and mostly level, but working in the open (where code enforcement can see you) is a great way to have hassles come down....

and it's hot in the summer, wet in the rain, and cold in the winter. dark at night, too.

why anyone would take a house with a garage and turn the garage into a place to sit and watch TV while your ass grows fat is beyond me.

28. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Heres my grandmaws 1.5 car garage I work in. Since this pic I have cleaned it up a bunch but I mainly work out side.
    [​IMG]

29. metalix_421

metalix_421

Im trying to deal with a 2 car garage, it was bigger three years ago when we moved in I guess its time to sell some tools