Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodders and Bikers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firingorder1

firingorder1

^^^^ On the Rockwell scale they're around 75.

2. Yea, nearly all of them, but we used to lighten wheels for big inch bikes. Light bike light wheels.

If you want to talk Old School Harley parts then you should remember Long Tom barrels or Connely Cams. The 468 Sifton was actually based on a Connely Knuckelhead grind. Connely was from oakland by the way, started grinding cams in the late 30s as a high school kid, he had a 21" hill climber.

Barnet clutches were all the rage though the '80s. As well as Primo Belt drives starting in the mid '70s. But the belt drives are not really old school as old school goes, any more than twin plug aluminum heads for Sportiees called Thunder heads.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    First belt drives I remember were Phase IIIs. I ran my first one in the mid 70's. Like em a LOT.
    Everyone had to have Barnett clutches, they were the hot set up. After you installed them, you got to pull them out every couple of weeks to clean the grease/oil off when they started to chatter. I've still got a couple of boxes full of stock clutches I pulled out, when we put Barnetts in. Cleaned a set up and put them in a customers 49 Pan the other day. Yep, aftermrket clutches were chattering. Some things never change.

4. Actually before the jocky journal bikes were welcome on the HAMB. Maybe not your everyday late model store bought variety but bikes did pop up pretty regular and no one actually got their jockets in a wad.

There is a fella who I believe has posted on this thread that races bikes on the salt. When I worked for Hap I used to think that flat trackers were insane, but there is absolutely nothing as hard core as shooting at Land Speed Records on the salt. And when it comes right down too it if you ride the World's Fastest Indian or do it with a 90CC Honda it is still just nutz.

Maybe he would care to post a pic or two while he has a chance.

I think that he actually builds his own bikes as well.

I completely forgot about the Phase III, I ran a 14MM Primo my big inch pan. Hey remember Karata belt drives, what crap they were, cheap and cheap for a reason.

Hey while I think about it Forking by Frank was a common thing to hear before everyone and thier cousin got into the long tube act. frank gave good tube.

5. Larry T

Larry T

I believe Dean Lowe and Hoof Hearted both posted Bonneville threads over on the Jockey Journal.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens to the Jockey Journal, now that Ryan sold it.

Frank is gone (RIP) but Forking by Frank is still around. I think his widow still runs it. Still the best place to buy fork tubes.

As long as we're talking old companies, Buchanans Frame Shop is still in business. But they don't do frames and extended springers anymore, just wheels.

6. SaaaaWEET! That was my tagline for many years when I was on the Harley Digest years ago. Thanks for that!!

"I don't wanna pickle... I just wanna ride my motorcickle!"

7. I wonder how many people caught the reference.

There is actually a longer version where he mentions a 4 foot cop writing a 5 foot ticket. I liked Arlos music, I don't think he really did much with it not like Woody anyway. I did see a live concert with him a few years back where he played some of his signature stuff and some other stuff from Woody and Pete.

8. Road Runner

Road Runner

And this gesture means: Helmet Laws suck !

Attached Files:

9. Just a simple gesture among people standing out from the rest of the traffic

10. No, its a brotherhood thing man a brotherhood thing. :rolleyes:

11. The longer version is tough to find, but classic Arlo! Just like Alice's restaurant, Remember Alice? ;)

To make it HAMB friendly...

Attached Files:

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

My older sister married a cop .....He never waved at me like that .
    So whats up ?

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

I first learned of the song from the "Fox Racing Greatest Hits"

Its a dvd with some spectacular footage of pro dirt racing. The video starts off with some old 8mm film of classic dirt racing with the Motorcycle Song. Great stuff.

14. Wasn't she rays wife?

The man in the family that the song was based around actually raced dirt bikes. Although mildly exagerated (in a way that only Arlo could do), the whole song was based on truth.

Arlo was cool and that is fact, hell even his name was cool. I'll bet his mom and dad weren't fighting when they named him like my folks were. I got stuck with the world's lamest name.

Then to make things worse after I grew up my big sister decided to call me peanut. Not so bad I guess but I was with some men if ill report having one helluva good time partying my ass off and my sis shows up looking for me. There was a prospect at the door and she asked if "peanut" was in there. He walks in and hollars, "hey some broad is out here looking for Peanut." My close friend whom we will call Mat hollars back across the room, that's just benno's big sister tell her come on in. My big friend Paul who was close to me puts his arm around me rolls his eyes and says, '"Hey peanut, your big sister's here." I like to never lived it down.:eek:

Brothers (and my big sister), the world is a hard place with them in it and would be damned lonely without 'em. Secrete hand shake and all.

The thing they wave with has bullets in it, waving at you could be bad for your health. :eek:

My sis was dating a cop and one of my friends showed up at her house. I am not there and they look after her because I am not there. I guess it is a family thing.

Anyway this cop starts giving her the third degree about my friend and telling her she should be more careful about who she associates with etc. So she tells this cop that that man is her little brothers friend and she cares just as much for him as her little brother. Then she takes his advice about being careful who you associate with and stops seeing the cop.

Funny thing about tramps, they may not be the people that you don't want to associate with but they are loyal to family to the end. Not because it is a rule but because it is the right thing to do.

15. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

when Im driving people always wave a single finger at me

16. LOL I was driving the other day ans someone waved at me with all their fingers, I am so used to the one finger salute that I had to think for a bit about what all of them might mean.

17. Which one? There are different meaning for some of them! Maybe they were picking their nose and were particularly proud of that special booger, picked just for you! :eek: :)

18. johnod

johnod

A good brother wouldn't let his sister date a cop.:)

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

Bikes and cars racing

Attached Files:

20. Sometimes it is 3 or 4 years between drinks with my sis, it appears that my brother handled it real well. He obviously did something right whether he ment to or not. ;)

4 cylinder to 8, now that is a race. Lookin at some of the old race pics makes ya wonder a little bit, the fella on the limey rail is wearing fairy fliers. The fella on the lakes in another pic is flyin in his skivvies. Safety eqiuipment sure has changed over the years, hasn't it.

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Yeah ....yeah ....yeah . ......my sister deserved it. I did'nt.
    BIKERS & FUSS DON'T MIX. Let me restate that , bikers & policemen don't mix.

22. They don't understand the wave. :D

hey did we ever figure out what "the wave" meant? I mean hell if it is bad I'm going to have to watch out.

23. deto

deto

just to keep this going... I have never gotten the point down wave and got it on the way to work this morning...

24. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

"THE WAVE" drives me to drinkin
    You know....the two finger shot

25. Be careful, gremlins. Now you got to get some of those tinkley bells to protect you. :D

I used to see people do it in San Francisco, especially up near Hyde Street. But I think it was for motor cycle fairies and I am sure that tinkly bells don't ward off fairies. :eek:

26. I have been a lifelong hotrod/Harley lover and remember when a guy had to have some bit of knowledge about the bike or hotrod he was drivin cause you had to be able to fix it,service it or just plain liked to know about it and keep it in running order.Now that you can buy a Harley that starts itself,doesn't rattle apart,requires almost no maintenance,all the "Yuppie come latelys"wanna infiltrate the biker lifestyle(so they think)and all become instant bikers.As for "The Harley wave"... All thats about is a "look at me cuz Ima bad biker"....I don't wave at every friggin person on a bike,most of these yuppies should keep both hands on the bars cuz they have NO experience and are a hazzard!I wave at people I know,chicks I would LIKE to know,little kids ( who look cuz they like the rumble)and hotrodders. The friggin yuppies have ruined the sport causing overproduction,rediculous price increases,helmet laws,and that stupid Harley wave....I think all those yuppies should have to start out riding on a 1957 XLCH so you must kickstart that bad boy every time you want to ride some where! I bet that keeps most of the Yuppie come lately pseudo bikers off the street! Also,to all those bad biker chicks who ride thier own bikes,I say if you are not able to set the bike upright after you dropped it on the ground,you should NOT be riding that bike! Remember...Just because you have paid a forture for your bike,your Harley shirt/boots/glasses/gloves/socks and yes your friggin Harley underwear...it doesn't mean you are a biker....Sorry for the rant,just tired of all the yuppie bikers...

Attached Files:

• 089.jpg
      089.jpg
      File size:
      449.7 KB
      Views:
  27. Larry T

Larry T

Which brings up the other "bell story". I've been told that a certain band of two wheeled despots put the bells on their bikes as burgler alarms. If they overindulged and decided to catch a few winks beside their bikes, the sound of the bell would tell them if any one was messing with their scooters.

28. I saw a dumbass like that (guy) on the side of Hwy85 in Wyoming 50 miles South of Lusk on the way to Mecca.... ummm Sturgis. Not wrecked.... all alone... standing next to his new bike... laying on it's left side... kickstand neatly tucked up beside the frame! Looked like he could use some help! ... is what I was thinking as I rode by... Dumbass.

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

Us guys riding Limey bikes would lay out bikes over on their side on dirt or grass to fix a flat.Yank off the wheel,peel off the tire,patch the tube. Lift the back back up and roar away.

30. I spent many a night/morning sound asleep with my feet on the bars. Maybe that has something to do with my back problems. :D
    I have heard of hanging a bell on 'em for that reason before myself.

I still think that the little motor cycle gremlens is pretty damned good I wish i had thought that load uip myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.