Register now to get rid of these ads!

My tire turned brown????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BronxMopars1, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Laquer thinner will probably clean them up but I think continued use will dry the rubber out; at least that's what a white wall tire maker told me. They recommended SOS pads which I've had good luck with. Think the soap in them is basically Comet.

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

oven cleaner from the $ store

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

just a opinion.cause i haven't had this happen,but i think i would try DAWN DISHWASHING liquid,with warm water. we use this at work to remove oil and it works great. again jmho.but there is purple power,simple green,and others.and be sure to post what you use,and how it works. good luck.

4. Okay, I won't begrudge a guy who wants his car to do donuts for no apparent reason all by itself, then.

5. afaulk

afaulk

Hand cleaner like Go Jo works good, or the new spray on stuff (various makers) just spray on, let dry. It dries to a nice flat look.

6. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Use Eagle One aluminum wheel and tire cleaner, and a scrub brush, most of it will run off.

7. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Stop driving thru poop?:p

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

People always post all kinds of crazy things to use, but soap and water is the best first choice. If they don't clean up with regular soap, use some Comet or Ajax. It works, and you don't have to worry about damaging the rubber.

9. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

kiwi shoe polish

10. F&J

F&J

Aren't you racing soon on the beach in NJ? might as well wait before cleaning them, because if the sand is soft getting onto the beachfront, your tires will be very light gray.

those Bonneville guys flaunt their salt covered cars, and now you can profile around town with sand stains;)

11. ARMORALL will addict your tires.....ha
    By that I mean that the use of it will require you continue or the tires will turn lt grey till you re use it......
    IHave a product that works well and it is also not a silicone which you never spray silicone in your shop for several reasons....
    Lemon Pledge furniture polish-[and the generic walmart brand] available at many stores works very well on tires and even on vinyl door and dash panels....a big plus is it is not sticky nor does it discolor the tire or interior panels....just spray on and wipe off for a very good look.

12. 1ton

1ton

How do you get the brown out of a turd? Different question same answers.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

You can take the turd out the bowl but you can't take the browm out the turd..;)

14. BarryA

BarryA

what he ^ said..

15. Chefbiz62

Chefbiz62
    from Omaha, Ne

Johnny Bondo needs a 265/70/17 shoved in his ass!!

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What are you using for cleaning agent? I worked at a dealership recon and get ready dept for about 3 years. All of a sudden all the salesmen were complaining that all the cars had brown tires. And the looked just like yours. We used a carwash soap that was a mitered mix out of a dispenser and did not change brands. When the cars were cleaned the tires were hit with a tire shine product from the same company. Come to find out the company had changed the formula of the for the ap cleaner without informing customers. whatever they they added or subtracted was causing a reation with the chemicals in the tire and causing what the rep called an oxidation of the carbon black used to make tires black (cuz they aren't made with much rubber these days) So uset he westlys if it works and then try changing up your car was soap.

17. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Been using brake fluid for years, and have found nothing that does a better job. Leaves a nice, "new rubber" look, and prevents sidewall cracking. I keep opened cans of brake fluid specifically for this purpose, rather than discarding them, so it makes the tire detailing free!

18. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

don't screw around.... lacquer thinner is the only way to go.

19. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Pledge has been my go to detailer for many years. It works great. I use it on my OT convertible top. Turns out nice and black.

20. Written like an individual that has never mixed radials, and bias plys.
    I don't think he would have made it to the show with that wheelbase and mixture. We would probably be looking at completely different photos.

You should go give it a try, and report back to us.

21. slammed

slammed

And lemony lemon smells too!

22. RatPin

RatPin

I've seen that happen when new tires are inflated for a bit and then deflated and stored for awhile with no air pressure. When you reinflate them the brown shows up and it's hard to remove. I've tried agressive cleaners with no luck. Have not tried acetone or thinner yet though since those will actually burn into rubber. 3M adhesive cleaner may do the trick without burning. That stuff works wonders.

23. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Ok heading into the garage tonight looking like a cleaning lady from a high end hotel lol............ And it has 16"x5" steelies with shaved face radials (taller in the back but same width) all around and drives great! If "Johnny Bondo" doesnt like my tire choice he can write the check and put whatever he wants on the car! I LIKE IT!

24. Come to think of it, I spray painted the rims on my beater in satin black and didn't bother to mask the tires, with no apparent ill effects and the raised white letters aren't nearly as obnoxious. So I suppose that's an option, too.

25. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

...... Probably from smelling ALL of those "Bondo Fumes" :eek:

[​IMG]

Those tires look good enough for now..... or forever..... at least it's "on the road" ...... looks like NO BONDO though!!!! Maybe that's the problem???? Ha!!!!

....OR giving these a "rest"!!!!!
    [​IMG]

These ones should also pass the "test'!!! L o L !!!!!
    BronxMopars you are right on the $$$$$
    [​IMG]

NOT like "ANY of "THAT" matters anyway"..... whatever!!!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  26. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Thank you and those are the same tire's in both pic's!

27. jimbousman

jimbousman

In my youth I used enamel reducer and brake fluid. Now I use Purple power cleaner. It's great on tires. It'll clean that brown off in no time. Just be careful round raw aluminum.

28. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Actually, brake fluid swells and destroys many types of rubber, including natural rubber, which is in many tires. That's why all the rubber in your brake system is made of EPDM rubber instead of cheap ol' nitrile rubber. However, brake fluid is very compatible with styrene butadiene (SBR) rubber, which is one possible type of synthetic rubber that might show up in a tire. So will it hurt the rubber? Hard to say, since I don't know the blends of rubber in any given tire.

Perhaps that is why brake fluid seems to work for this - it absorbs into the sidewall, swells it up and reduces the appearance of cracks, and looks mildly glossy. In those small amounts, will it create a problem? Maybe so, over time. Again, hard to say.

Compatibility chart:
    http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Brake Fluid#mat

Another thing brake fluid certainly does hurt is your paint! So whatever you do, make sure no drips of brake fluid remain to get flung off the tire and hit your paint.

As to why the tires turned brown, well, that's what tires do in the sun. They all get brown over time. Different makers may put more stabilizing chemicals in their rubber brew, but they all tend to turn brown.

In looking at your pictures, I see that the front tires have 4 grooves and the rears have 5 grooves. So either the stabilizers in the two types are different, or maybe the front tires are just older.

If you don't like the brown, just use a dressing and repeat as necessary.

PS - Nice car. Very cool look overall! And the brown isn't really taking away from it, in my opinion.

29. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Mine did that too especially after a run on the I-state. I just cleaned them with a little Ajax and a brush. Happened a few times then stopped. Could be some of the mold release agent bleeding back out of the sidewall. Nothing to worry about.