Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted my car with rustoleum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KaiserKruiser, Oct 25, 2009.

1. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

I think I found the paint to go on my soon-to-be daily driver Opel Rekord -63!!!

pecker head likes this.
  2. prostreet68

prostreet68
    from California

I have been doing research on doing the rustoleum paint job on my 68 Dodge Dart and I have decided that I will do it. My son and I have spent the last 6 years working on this car building it as a prostreet back half'd,12 point cage driver. I would love to have my buddy(musclerodshop.com) paint it but I cant afford it. I have gotten 2 quotes to paint the car the factory B5 blue and both are between $4000-$5000 which will not happen.
    This car is a hotrod that has had every part of it has been built,modified...etc in our garage.
    I like the statement that I heard that says...Its not what you buy...its what you build..

Yes I will do a garage rustoleum paint job.

pecker head likes this.
  3. easyissy

easyissy

I think you're at the wrong forum:D

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Doing the job yourself doesn't automatically mean using a low grade paint. Rustoleum is better than using house paint, but it's way down the ladder from just an ordinary single stage uncatalyzed automotive grade acrylic enamel.

5. Irishman

Irishman

You know, if I wasn't typical of the general population in that I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck, I'd have no hesitation in throwing some paint bloke a few grand to paint my car. It must be nice to have that kind of disposable income.

Personally, when money is tight and you have to make sacrifices to try and make headway in building your ride, I think that's when passion shines through. It's when farming out the work to the shops isn't an option and you have to do the work yourself that you truthfully figure out that you have a passion.

Looking at these Rustoleum jobs...they all look cool.

I have far more respect for the man that pulls it off doing it himself with stuff purchased from Tractor Supply and doing a damn good job than some fatass who waves the credit card and then basks in the glory of someone else's work.

Fair play to you Rustoleum men, fair play to you.

6. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Looks good to me! Only drawback is it will chalk up over time . But hey can't beat 50 bucks, I'm down for it and I work in a body shop and have for the past 15 years . I'll bet most of these guys haven't checked paint material prices lately . I see our bills everyday... All of our products are PPG, 1 gallon of clear with activator=$350+, 1 gallon primer w/ activator and reducer =$250, and say your using basic solid red basecoat= $600 a gallon. And that's not adding in your fancy flakes, two tones, candy and other wild paint! You do the math cause I suck at it!

7. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

[​IMG]

I agree with you. Looks like lots of different opinions on the rustoleum jobs. But for the amount of work involved to get them to look like that you HAVE to give credit where its due. Some of these look fantastic!

8. Torchie

Torchie

Here's an old joke that boat restorers like to tell.
    "what's the difference between Rustoleum and Marine grade enamels.....about $40 a quart"
    I just finished painting the hull sides on a white lapstrake boat that I am working on. Used Rustoleum high gloss white just like I always do. Looks great and is very durable. Some guys even use it for bottom paint.

9. x2 on that Irishman...very well played indeed!

10. Slag a guy for primer/satin, gotta be gloss like it was in the day , nobody rolled with flat paint etc... So a guy finds a way to put some shine on his ride and he still gets shit on because it`s not the "right " paint ...sometimes a guy just can`t win.:D

11. I rolled this on but would like to spray some in the future, I can't afford thousands for a paint job either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

richards69impala and robber grin like this.
  12. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I did my El Camino on Rustoleum. 1.5 years later the paint is turning to powder.
    When it chips ( damn shopping carts) it comes off in chunks.

DON'T do this to a car you care about!!!

13. When I was a broke, 20 something year old, I had a beat up early 70's Ford pickup with multi-colored fenders and doors. I wanted to make it one color, though I could only afford a gallon of Rustoleum and a few 3M scuff pads. So, I scuffed it up and painted it with a brush. It was a good and shiny 20 footer.
    I was very proud.

14. After reading the can, rustoleum was so close to the old synthetic alkyd enamels that I treated the same way. I even used the same Dupont 3812 reducer.{cost more than the paint did!} I also got the same shiney,takes forever to get hard,chalks if I dont wax it results. If I dont tell, everybody just says "nice paint job".

15. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

"REAL" paint jobs are done with a brush :D

Looks great and your satisfied and thats all that matters.

16. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I used what I think was Japan dryer a cupful helps to dry the paint faster and I used acetone as the reducer and had to use a lot of reducer to work or it never dried.

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

This is a Rustoleum paint job. It was prepped with red oxide primer-sealer under the base coat black, It rubs out well, gives a gloss sheen and would look even better if it had a few more coats to rub even deeper.

I've shot Ditzler-PPG, Delstar,Cronar,Centari and other that are 2 and 3 stage. It's easy to spend up to several thousand dollars on a keeper. I've seen many high $ paint jobs go away, heck, I've just had one repainted that cost a couple thou several years back that became oxidized within 2 yrs of having it shot by guys that do pebble beach restos.

I think that I'll stick with the rustolem on the stuff that has to live outside and will deal with the waxing of the body and keep the car covered when it needs to be.

A Boner likes this.
  18. slammed

slammed

I added Dupont hardner to some black to paint the Impalas floor boards with a 4" barn brush. Other than wearing away where my feet rubbed, it looks good, and held up fine. Broke? Rough like vehicle, lay it on and make the thing better than some contrived 'funky-cold-pa'tina-say-what~ rat-roach-coach-monkey-see-monkey-do rig. But a rat rod is better than no rod, right poser?

19. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your crack'n me up tonight brother ...... :)

21. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If I was getting ready to paint my car with something will look weathered in a couple years of normal use, and is as bad or worse as the paint manufacturers used over 70 years ago, I would appreciate someone giving me that info. Passing along the info is not beating up on anyone, it's helpful advice. Even if the guy goes with Rustoleum(it really doesn't matter to me), he will be doing it with an understanding of the pros and cons.

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Still no answer to the question of how a DAF got to California.

My guess is several trucks and a boat were involved.

23. midwestford

midwestford
    from Michigan

If you wouldn't have said it was Rustoleum you probably would never have known it. I have used that stuff for years when i was a kid restoring show tractors for guys. Looks good, flows good, just not alot of UV protection. It will fade fast if not maintained. Looks good from the pics, drive it and enjoy it!

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I painted my daily driver "hot rod" styled Volvo Amazon with semi-gloss black Rust-Oleum , thinned with acetone & sprayed with my siphon-feed gun . I drove it everywhere , it sat outside 365 and it retained the same sheen and didn't chalk-up whatsoever . I'd do it again anytime , just not on something I was planning on repainting someday with "real" car paint .

Here's the "Suede Swede" after about 3 years of being my work horse ...

[​IMG]

25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I got kicked out of home depot for asking a girl a simular question... Live and you learn I guess.

26. RatPin

RatPin

I'm using rusto on my project too. I like the fact that I'll be able to sit on my fender/set tools on my fender/drop shit on my fender without worrying about hours of labor to fix it. Just scuff, shoot n buff and it's fixed there right in my barn, no major prep or cleanup involved. Plus I could spend $10k on a show paint job and would still be able to find imperfections. I have had cars with perfect paint jobs in the past and it made me stressed to even drive them after all the cleaning and maintenance to make them look perfect. I'm passed that now.

That's not to say I'm only doing it because it is a "budget build". It's definitely not. It's just more about what's under the body than what is on the body.

27. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Do it your way high or low $ but enjoy the car. I know guys that will not go in the rain or drive in the evening (bugs you know). I also know guys who will drive thier old car any time any where, both seem to enjoy thier worlds although the drive anytime guys seem to have more fun.

28. RatPin

RatPin

"Can you help me with this hardener in my pants...I mean paints":p

29. slammed

slammed

Does this sit outside most of the time? Inside during winter is understandable.

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I sold the car to get my '49 Ford project , but YES , the car sat out 100% of the time . No garage time for that ride !

Driving in this :

[​IMG]

Results in this , lol !

[​IMG]

robber grin and Peanut 1959 like this.