Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repairing a punched out lock hole - trunk lid.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by umassjj, Sep 6, 2012.

1. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

This falls pretty low on the list of things to deal with on my '64 Comet at the moment, but I've had it in the back of my head and figured I'd ask. Other than someone knocking the lock out of the trunk lid, the lid is in great shape. Don't have the cash or the want to go to a fiberglass lid and I've noticed that they don't seem to make patch panels for this situation.

Any of you guys ever cobbed anything together to save a trunk lid?

2. Just take your time and tap and dolly it out.

3. i think i have seen patch for that , not sure where.... just keep looking

4. Noland

Noland

cut a lock hole out of something and patch it into yours. Or make one

5. squirrel

squirrel

pictures? we can't see how stretched the metal is, or if it's torn, or what....

6. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

I'll shoot a couple when I get home tonight- should have thought of that. Thanks for the responses fellas

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Weld up the hole for a custom look. Use an electric latch salvaged from a minivan or car with electric latch. Don't forget a backup, using a long choke cable leading into the back seat area or door jamb.

Or, hammer and dolly the hole and put a new lock in.

8. Had a patch in my hand last month.
    Had about 10 on the wall.

William wolf supply, Cleveland ohio

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

They make lock cylinder patch panels. Most body supply houses that also sell generic patch panels have them. There are a few different styles (flat hole, recessed, etc.) so you can pick the one for your car. Stu

10. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Here's a pic I shot just a little while ago. The hole is toast. I think I'm either looking at a patch or welding it up and using a solenoid to pop the trunk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  11. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

thanks 31 Vicky! I'll call those guys tomorrow.

12. squirrel

squirrel

that doesn't really look like it was punched thru, it looks more like it was wrecked and fixed, and the bondo was so thick that the lock retainer didn't stay where it belonged, and the lock rattled around and fell out.

We used to make them look a lot worse when we punched the locks out at the junkyard

13. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Use a Knockout plug from an electrical junction box a coupla bux at home cheapo or lowes.Grind off the galvanizing befgore migging it in.No mig welder? Use JB Weld.

14. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

Yeah, I gotta agree that it looks like a really poor repair job. Either cut it out and weld in a replacement or cut it out and weld in a flat panel and use an electrically operated latch.

+1 on the cable-actuated back-up.

15. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Here's a simple trick, but will possibly require some welding...find a socket that will fit the lock recess( usually between 1/2-5/8) and use it for a dolly on the outside where the lock cylinder goes. Hammer it back into shape from the inside of the trunk. If you can't get a hammer in there(this is where the welding would come in) cut out an access panel inside the trunk. Hammer and dolly back to stock, weld and grind the cracks and tears, and weld the piece you cut out back in. No use for electric chinese crap that will fail you when all you need is your cooler full of beer!!

16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

btw... a little file work might be in order to get the cylinder to fit just right.

17. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Freakin' A! That why this place is the cat's arse! Awesome.

18. tnich123

tnich123

That VW latch is from a Thing. They are out there but not as common as the VW bug. I would consider a later VW Jetta or golf latch they are more common and are used in most of the fiberglass bodies.