Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shoeboxdriver, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

I picked up some cool vintage aluminum "pitchers" for pouring oil or coolant, from an auction of an old filling station. I'd like to soak them in something for cleaning prior to the "elbow grease" phase of polishing them up. Aside from hot soapy water, any suggestions on a cleaning agent for these??

Thanks!

Shoebox

2. carmarc1

carmarc1

id spray wheel acid on them let them sit for just about 30 seconds then rinse

3. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

An old timer told me that marvle mystery oil on a rag does wonders to clean aluminum... never tried it tho

4. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

Carmarc1,
    "Wheel acid".......not familiar, would you have a product name ?

Shoebox

5. Its muriatic acid, "aluminum wheel cleaner" on the shelf at the auto store. It works well but as stated don't leave it on too long, it leaves black stains if it dries.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's talking the spray Aluminum wheel cleaners that you get at the parts houses. They usually have an acid in them that cleans the aluminum but will eat it if left on.

I'd just scrub them down with some household cleanser like Ajax or Comet and then use what ever mag/aluminum wheel cleaner/polish you favor.

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

Purple Stuff is good for a non-agressive cleaning of aluminum.

8. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

White scotchbrite pad and some Bon Ami, or Barkeepers friend.