Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

DO NOT use a 180,a 160 is perfect for here in So.CA..George Teding found his 302 in his 65 Comet ran too hot with a 180 and he has a larger radiator than yours,with the 160 he ran the Comet over 600 miles and the temp stayed about 190! You most likely have an air pocket in the block especially if the radiator is cool and the engine is hot.The way that expansion tank is mounted you will need to 'BURP' the system and get all the air out.I fill my system with the upper hose off of the radiator and held higher that the radiator top tank.I fill until the coolant starts to run out of the hose.You may try filling through the expansion tank and not the radiator,then start and run the engine with the pressure cap on the first stage,not locked down,it helps blead the air out.Give me a call if you want,I'll be cleaning the rig and loading up tomorrow but I will have my cell with me! ROY.

2. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Listen to roy. I personally disagree with the idea of using a colder thermostat to keep engine temp down, but I don't live in your climate. Roy is right about it running hotter if it's air bound, and needs to be burped. Personally, I'd make sure all trapped air has escaped, and see how it maintains temp. Also, the fan & shroud play a major role in keeping things cool. I came across a car with a electric fan that wasn't sealed to the radiator, and the temp would creap up at a stop light. Took the fan off, made a gasket for it with some thin foam weatherstrip, and sealed it to the radiator. After that, the temp stayed within 10 degrees of the thermostat. That customer tried everything to get it to run cooler, or even just maintain temp, but the fan was too far away from the radiator, and wasn't pulling air through the radiator, but was pulling from around the shroud. Point is, if you get the air out, and the fan pulls strong through the radiator, it should maintain a temp close to what the thermostat is rated. I.e. , 160 should be about 15-20 degrees hotter, same for a 180, 190, 195, or whatever temp you wanna run.

3. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Mike, I like the interior and watched video sounds real good at a idle....Al

4. Got the delete plate and went back to the original steering wheel. I will be selling the superior 500 one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  5. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Dash looks great mike.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;looking more like a 'CAR' again!! I had a couple guys ask me about your Falcon while I was at Mega Ford in Canada,a lot of HAMBers up there!! Give me a call when you have time,I have a couple things to talk to you about! ROY.

7. Check out this video, we have clutch linkage now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqnn5bc_90&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Got the front seats in and most of the dash complete... Some wiring issues taken car of and cleaned up. Since I removed the shock tower braces I added some ones I modified from a 64 fairlane... Hopefully if they are good enough for a thunderbolt they are good enough for me, got my seatbelts and helmet too! I finished all the body work on the underside of hood with cutting the ram air hole.. I should be able to get the underside of the hood painted and installed Monday... Then the fenders, front valance, grill and bumper can go on. I also rebuilt the vent window frames and installed them along with the side windows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Muttley

Muttley

Nice...................just dont forget to do something about the kink in the top radiator hose.

9. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

10. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

11. Thank you everyone for the cOmments! I am planning on being at the hot rod reunion in Bakersfield in about 4 1/2 weeks, it's getting down to the wire! This will be my first race and the first for my car. Hope to see some of you there. They won't let me in the a/fx class so I will be running exabition but I should be able to pit with the a/fx guys I was told. I was able to secure Roy's extra trailer, thank you Roy! I need to find a horn ring if anyone has one.

12. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thats what Im talking about Mike!! Looks good!! That also looks like a 70 Mach 1 in the corner, yours too? Al

13. Yep, that's my 70 Mach1. It was my first car when I was 16... I bought it from the original owner... As I counted out the money he cried as he handed me the keys... His wife wanted more room in their garage!
    [​IMG]

14. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Awesome!! car and story....I had 70 Boss 302 orange and 70 Mach Maroon 4bbl cleveland no louvers or spoiler but would run....Al

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;Mike is only telling a small part of the story! That 70 is absolutely AWESOME!!!! It sounds great too!!! ROY

16. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Canada eh? You must have nearly froze !:p

Nice seeing Roy up here, the rest of you should have tagged along too.

Nice job on the Falcon. Where did you find that radio delete? The cheapo cars with the small instrument cluster are much easier to find the delete plates but no so on Futura and Sprint style dashes.

17. Thanks Tom P... I found it on eBay! After a lot of checking.

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Tom P;I didn't know you were on here,KOOL.Mike,Tom has a 64 Fairlane drag racer,normally runs hard,he had a tough weekend at Mission! ROY.

19. soulsponjah

soulsponjah

Great to see another local bird in the area. Just went threw the entire build thread. Falcon looks and sounds awesome. Good job!

20. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Looking good ... video from the races ...please.

PACO

21. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, how's the falcon?

22. well some progress to report! Windshield in, Factory steering wheel and horn ring, roll bar padding done, some emblems and stickers and grill on...Marching along...I have 2 1/2 more weeks..I am getting it aligned tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Nice mate coming alone well

24. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Looks awesome! Can't wait for the wheels up launch photos!!!!

25. Started scraping year stickers off the license plate until I got to 64.. Pretty cool it is still there after all these years. I also shined up repainted the original license plate frame... The chrome is pitted and scarred but does have a lil shine to it.. Gives it character! I also put some new blue paint on the front license plate and wiped off the lettering to the original semi rusted white, which I like. Got the grill and front bumper done too. The Crites fiberglass front bumper brackets are not the greatest, I think thier mold is off a little.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I like it Mike, Bumper looks good... well the whole front end looks nice its a car now, you must be happy!! Its cool you get to use the original plate and bracket on the rear......Keep it up and you'll have it done.....Al

27. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Mike, i just read this whole thread, Awesome car!