Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My barn find! 1950 Ford sees first daylight since 1968.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, May 18, 2012.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Sorry to hear about the flatty.

Im really excited to see your progress, I love what you described you were going to to do it.

:)

2. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I was going to suggest that there may be a valve issue. Flatheads are noted for that if they've been sitting. Looks like you found that out. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to fix it. Get those heads popped off and see what you have.
    That car is a great find. I know what I would do, but of course the choice is yours. Good luck!
    Tom

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Saga continues, at a slow pace, when I have time. Since I last posted I noticed the bum valve. It turns out it was a valve poked through a lifter and stuck. Cut the whole deal out and put a new complete assembly in. Got all the valves (so I thought) cleaned up and opening/closing. Put the whole motor back together, crank it over, starter crapped. Put a new starter in, no kick, not even an attempt to kick over. Compression test, no compression. Still. Took motor apart for the second time and the valves all looked good except one that was hanging up a little. WTF? So, went through them again, making sure they all worked properly and they did. Put the passenger side head back in, tested two cyls, zero compression. So, I am assuming the rings are had on this motor.

While I was in there I can now safely retract my statement of this being a 75k mile car. 275k? 575k? Maybe. But 75k no way. There is a ridge in the cylinder about 1/16" thick no lie, and everything is caked on sludge.

My first thought was just put a Chevy in it, but I redid all the brakes (and although I do have a '57 Ford 9" I could use) I would have to redo the rear and swap it out, get a shaft cut, rewire the car for 12v, all the nickel and dime stuff that adds up.

I think I have decided that I am already involved in this car, all the wiring works, as do all the factory brakes, and I bought the 6v battery already, so I am going to stick it out with the flathead.

A friend of mine has an 8BA lower end I may purchase. I am really leery of rebuilding this motor such a ridge, and I can not afford buying new pistons, etc. The way I see it just in bearings, a reseal kit, rings, and an oil pump I am around $650 with no machine work yet. So, I am hoping to start with a block I can just clean up, boil out and hone. My other option is pull this motor apart, look at the internals, clean out the block and just rering/regasket it, and hope for the best. Sure would be cheaper, but I don't want to go in and do all the work for nothing.

I now know first hand why I put Chevys in all my other cars. This is why. But, I am trying to fight the good fight and keep the driveline original no matter of the cost, literally.

4. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

That is why I sold the flathead out of my F1 when I got it. I'm just too broke to go through it (and it was supposedly a Merc). :(

5. 35desoto

35desoto

The ridge you talk about could still mean that it is an original mileage car
    Engines wore out faster back then - air filters and oil filters were not as good as they are on newer cars so engines wore out faster - If we got 70 - 90,000 miles out of an engine that was considered good. You cant compare a newer sbc to the old flattie as the technology is different and from different era's - its like comparing chalk with cheese. Enjoy the effort you put into the flattie - too many sbc around at any rate and seems to be the easy way out when considering a repower.

6. robber

robber

I really admire your determination! I hope that you can find a way to get the flatty up and running and leave this car the way that you found it... It is a true survivor! I wish you the very best with your endeavor. No matter what... this is one very cool ride and it needs to be back on the road again.

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

8. Tha_PiG

Tha_PiG
    from Georgia

Impressive old car.

Sorry to hear about the motor problems.

I'd get it running and leave it as-is

9. teddyp

teddyp

hi chris
    sounds like a great car and it would be cool with a flathead or a sbc

10. My free advice (worth what you paid for it)....buy a used, running flatty and drop it in there to get her on the road.

I always place an emphasis on getting my stuff roadworthy and then I work on other things.

My 54 Ford currently looks like living hell because I'm working on the paint, but I can drive it....and that keeps me motivated.

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I had thought about that, but by me there is no such animal. I'd be $400-500 into buying a used Ford motor that may or may not turn over, and at least double that for a Merc motor. Then there's a good chance I'll be typing this whole saga again with that motor. I figure I'll spend each dollar once and just yank this and get right to rebuilding it, or rebuilding something in it's place. This way I can test it before it goes in. Make friggin sure I have compression haha. If it takes me a while to track down parts or a motor, I have my Merc to get roadworthy (the Olds 350 has compression!) and my daily OT lowrider has popped out some problems and needs a redo.

One thing that struck in my mind, I didn't replace the front steel lines from the master to the wheel cylinder hoses. I didn't have to, they were brand new looking, and original 1950 Ford parts. The rears were rotted thin, so I wondered why. The underhood on this car is literally caked with an inch or better of oil, including the brake lines that were buried in oil sludge. So now putting all the pieces together, I bet this little flathead was huffing crazy oil for two decades. I'd bet that the rings were toast long before it slumbered.

12. I have to say I really enjoyed reading your thread, especially since i'm a town over from you.
    I may be adding a chopped and slammed 50 to my garage within the next month, so i'll be following along with your build with great interest.

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah? What town are you in? What's the story on the 50?

In other news, crossing fingers, I tracked down a great running 8BA lower end, going to pick it up Thursday evening. Supposedly never overheated, great oil pressure, ran smooth. I am elated. Planning on popping this motor/trans out, powerwashing the sludge out, reseal the new Frankenflathead and painting it, and hopefully hearing this turd run! I haven't had a flathead powered driver for almost 10 years.

14. indianhead74

indianhead74

Congrats, Good luck on freeing up the flattie,Hope it goes well! Indy

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

New motor. I hope I'm making the right move here! ;)

Attached Files:

16. I am a Ford guy and I admire your diligence to stay with a flathead but I think I would go with the SBC..

17. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Thats a great looking car. Thanks for the interior pics as I got my 50 after someone pulled it apart so seeing detailed headliner pics is very useful. I hope the flattie works out for you. Way to go! Looking forward to watching your progress.
    Andy
    Auckland NZ

18. flathead jack

flathead jack

thats what my 53 aka little darlin had on her when i bought her tune that baby up wash it and have some fun i bet itll run good i hammered mine all over okla texas and arkansas was never on a hook

19. jfrolka

jfrolka

is she purrrrrin yet?

20. yeah, how about an update.

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

just saw this thread,,,,congratulations chris,,,that is an amazing car. i really enjoyed reading the story of how you found her. i never keep anything very long, but i'd be tempted to hold onto that one for sure. can't believe it was so close to where i used to live,,,,just goes to show, you never know where you might find a treasure like that...good luck with the flathead, hope it all works out the way you want...

22. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

Wow, that is such a great find. I really liked seeing the pics when you got her and what it looked like all washed up. Looks like its in really great condition. Congrats. :)

23. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

But what would your husband say?