Register now to get rid of these ads!

trad 16" wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknroad, Aug 7, 2012.

1. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

Okay here's the deal. I'm trying to build a daily driver with what could they have done pre '64. Found some 16x4.5 chrysler wheels and thinking of swaping them for the 15x4.5 on the '54 ply.

My thoughts are as such...has original 230 flat head with a powerflite. I need the tallest/skinnyest tires I can afford.

Reason #1 2spd 230 flathead in LA traffic 80mph
    #2 have ply center caps...I like
    #3 Budget
    #4 Old school look...?

I figure I can lower it to make up the difference in ride height. The engine makes huge torque at 1600, so still fun to drive, but doesn't like to high rpms.

I had a '50 chev I put 215 75r15 on for a road trip that lit em up on a 216.

Any thoughts...or anyone got some kicking around?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since you want to "build what they would have done pre '64"...I'd say what you already have is exactly that. Your car is a '54....that 10 years before '64.....and it came with 15" wheels.....and many people switched to smaller wheels when they were introduced........i.e. 21", 19" to 16" 1935 Ford wires on Fords. Then again when '48 Mercs intro'd 15" wheels, they were the hot tip for a long time.

If what you are after is a a greater top speed and/or lower rpm at cruise, change the rear end. Either the center section or the whole rear axle assembly. There are several good options for a rear end swap. The cost won't be any greater, and likely less, than changing wheels and buying new tires.

Ray

3. Well, taller tires will give a slight OD effect, so you are on the correct thinking. I do not see any problem to use the 16 inch wheels with taller tires, it will be proportional.

4. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

The rear ratio in is supposed to be 3:73. Is there a different center section I can swap? The other ratios offered that year are like 4:11's which would be going the wrong direction.

There is gobs of torque off idle on the flathead six. So 3:00 would probably work too. I need a bolt on solution since I'm putting this together in my buddy's driveway. It looks like 3:54 was offered in '55 and '56 but I'm not sure it would just bolt in.

I had this issue once in a 9" ford that I swapped the gears out only to find out the axle shafts were a different size.

Anybody know?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you on Allpar.com ? The knowledge base for all things Mopar there is huge.

I'm thinking that Dodge rear axles stayed pretty close to the same width for a lot of years or you might be able to use a rear end out of one of the smaller Mopars like a Volarie. I'm not sure when the stopped using that funky U joint setup though.

Hnstray pretty well nailed it on the wheels. Guys were going smaller rather than larger and the hot lick in the late 50's would have been to go to the "new" 14 inch rims.

6. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

What I'm thinking is the 16" wheels were available and could have been done at the time. It would change the final drive ratio and keep the Rpms down.

Most people seem to be pulling the whole rear when they do the front disc brake conversion. I just rebuilt the whole braking system as it is so I would like get some miles out of it.

It's why I changed the carb to a ford 2100. I couldn't find that anyone did that back in the day but they could have.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad