Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocket versus ET spoke wheels.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ohiovette, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Ohiovette

Ohiovette

Any experience or opinions on these 2 wheels???

I'm looking for front wheels for my 57 Corvette gasser and like the looks of the skinny spoke wheels.
    The Rocket Launcher in gray is my choice but the placement of the valve stem just seems like that it shouldent be there.
    The ET Gasser is ok but I don't like the raised ribs on some of the spokes but the valve stem is not on the front surface which looks better to me.

Any opinions???

THANKS.

2. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I know several people using the Rocket spokes and no problems.

4. In the whole big picture of an entire car, nobody is going to notice where the valve stem is.

I have the rockets, polished.
    They are nice
    I walk past them 100 times a day on the table and the stem is about hip high. Never once did I think the stem was funky or pay any attention at all to it.

But they are polished wheels with chrome stems.

5. 553964spd

553964spd
    from bristol tn

Ohiovette I'm with you on the valve stem issue hate it on the outer edge looks much better when tucked back out of the way.Any pics of your vette.I luv the early vettes as gassers.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Pictures, or it ain't happenin'...

7. daddio211

daddio211

Buy the Rockets, weld up the hole, drill one where you want it. Problem solved.

8. Man, people tell me I'm picky and too anal about the details ?
    They'd try and have you committed

9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

If its a modified sports or a gasser and it is following HAMB 65 and earlier rules no gasser or modified sports car would have run the real 12 spoke spindle mount version of those wheels they had to have brakes to run in these classes. I haven't seen too many airheart discs modified to work with these wheels. and the 10 spoke bolt on version just looks fony on a gasser. If it's an altered and you want to drive it on the street with front brakes o.k. then.

10. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I am a Rocket Wheels dealer. I never noticed the stem issue at all and now that you point it out it really does not bother me

11. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

I have skinny Rockets on the front of my 56 Chevy i think they look fine were the stems are.My rim's say Firestone on them.Do yours read the same? Chuck

12. I'd like to know if you are looking at the wheels with tires mounted or not.

When I look at pics of the Rockets and ETs without tires the Rocket valve stem hole about smacks me in the face. Its a floating hole, But thats not how the run !!!

When I look at pics of them with tires mounted, or in person on my own rocket wheels you can not even see the valve stem. From straight on it does not break the profile of the wheel. It's virtually invisible.

But on the ETs the valve stem sticks up like a little penis or a sore thumb. Can't miss it.

I personally don't care for the extra details on the ET

Why don't you post some pics.

Rocket with tires
    http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/blackanglia/115_0962.jpg

Rocket without tires
    http://hawkhardware.com/images/LAUNCH GRA.jpg

ET without tires

http://www.team3wheels.com/gasser.html

ET with tire
    http://www.socalook.com/techinfo/wheels/gasser.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  13. Go to Rockets website, look at them mounted on my 55 Chevy Yellow, see if you like or not. They balanced with little or no weights...good rims for the money I think.

14. I like the stem tucked away, easier to clean while on jackstands and in gear! I don't like that style of rim, unless it's a true spindle mount. Opinions vary.

15. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i said it before, and ill say it again. those bolt on fake spindal mount wheels are the cheesiest wheels out there! just cause they call em gasser wheels doesn't make em correct. get yourself some skinny slots, or cragars. go look at pics of real gassers from back in the day. none of them even had the real spindal mounts on them. it would be cragars, ansens, american racing, or halibrands. nothing kills this new crop of "gassers" more then those wheels. they never made a bolt on wheel like that back then anyway. if your trying to capture the gasser look, DONT use those wheels!

16. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Aren't Rocket imports also? Just askin.

17. willys_truck

willys_truck

18. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

Rocket is owned By David Coker. I've met him a few times and seems to be a straight up guy intrerested in improving his product. Why not give him a call and see if they can drill them where you want. Maybe not an option but doesn't hurt to ask him. I'm not sure David's on the HAMB but Corkey is sometimes.

19. I gotta agree. Try these:
    http://www.twe-inc.com/sltspecs.php
    15x4.5

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolute truth being spoken!!!!

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i bought these in 2005, still happy with them.(et's,15"x6")

Attached Files:

22. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I would buy the ET wheels,the rockets are a cheap copy.

23. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

To each their own I suppose, would be pretty boring if we all had the same wheels.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Says the guy who puts red steel wheels on everything.

25. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

If your talking about me you best look again chump. One of three and that isn't for much longer.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

26. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

I agree with this guy

27. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

Ohiovette you might want to check out the photos on gassermaddness.com to get some ideas. Back in the 60's and 70's we didn't have bolt on thin spokes. I don't remember any. I think we would have run them if there were some. I actually ran the original Rocket 5 spokes that looked like Crager S/S. I liked the thinner spoke and the fact they were a few bucks cheaper. I put the extra money in the motor.

28. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

29. I agree completely. And another thing......I'm really tired of seeing pseudo-gassers with the fake spindle mounts in the front and the Chinese E.T.III fakes on the rear with wide-white pie crust slicks. To me, a wide-white and a slick are two different animals and should NEVER be combined.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

word!