Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy six popularity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59buick, Aug 20, 2012.

1. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

great utility engine, i've built several including a really cool 261 with a radical cam, Clifford 4 bl manifold with a Edelbrock 500, Fenton headers, Saginaw 4 speed in my 53 Suburban. I was in the inliners too, great group of guys!

2. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I love the 235! I'm not about to trade mine!

Attached Files:

3. Plan on keeping a 235 6 in mine. Going to change a few things on it though. Great little engines.
    Later,
    Dick

4. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

couldnt resist

Attached Files:

5. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few. All put out more than 2 HP per cubic inch on an engine Dyno too.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

6. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

If/when I kill my 216, I'll be going with a 235.
    The bellybutton/(non flathead) v8 comment is dead on.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I love all mine. Between 216's and 235's I have about 7 stovebolts. Wouldn't trade them for anything. It's not that hard to get 200 horsepower out of them and they are just plain cool.

8. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

They are super popular with the lowrider crowd here in LA. This weekend I cruised by a show in Norwalk with a couple hundred cars/trucks and 95% were Chevy 6's. Some modified most not. A couple dozen together with split exhaust really made me smile. Low and slow.

9. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Also check out stovebolt.com, inliners.org and the social groups here on the HAMB for the 216, 235, straight/inline sixes, etc.

10. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Ok I am either reading wrong or missing some humor. 2hp per cubic inch?????
    I wanna see the build recipe.

11. I scrapped one that ran, so not so much. Don't get me wrong, I advertised it for months several places as a parts motor or that I would part it out and nothing.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  12. melsfine39

melsfine39

Yeah I like'em! Mines a 54 with a 56 head,twin carbs, H.E.I. dist.,headers,and chrome GO-FASTERS... Mel:D

Attached Files:

13. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I run a 235 babbit pounder in my '49 truck. I don't like driving it faster than 55, the rear ratio is steep.

As far as sound goes, I have heard some that sound good, but many are loud, raspy, and irritating. What is the difference between the mellow and raspy ones I wonder?

14. I've had three of them over the years(counting the one in my truck).........love 'em.

15. nohotrod

nohotrod

People who think the 235's can't be built hot are nuts. I built and raced one in the late 1950's, bored, stroked, cam, 4 carbs, that ate the 283 chevys for breakfast. Only when the tri-powers and positraction came out as stock did it lack enough power. But it still ate Ford flatheads for Dinner.

16. The_Monster

The_Monster

Any one thats followed my build thread may be surprised that I HAVENT swapped it out for a 350 yet! haha!

This is the second rebuild in as many years, and so far so good. If it treats me right this time, Ill keep it. If not, well then... back to the drawing board.

[​IMG]

17. *HOLLYWOOD*53

*HOLLYWOOD*53

i have my 230. if i could post pic i would.it so damn hard to pst pic those.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

GMC engines are more popular on the salt. then 261s. But 235s are very cool engines if that is what you like.

19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I just saw the same thing. I call bs. If it is true share your secret!!

20. Truckedup

Truckedup

Not even the famous Chevy tuner Frank McGurk was able to get more than .8 HP per cubic inch on a non supercharged iron head 235-261.A Wayne head on one might get near one hp per inch but it'll be pretty radical.Leo Santucci who runs the 292 Chevy 6 turbo drag car told me he started racing using a 261 Chevy. Built to the max as a drag engine with a choppy 1500 rpm idle and reving over 6000 rpm,it made about 275 HP for short duration drag racing.
    Like the flathead V-8,the 235 can make reasonable power,be snappy in a light car,but that's it for a street engine unless it's big bucks built to the balls and supercharged.

21. Little Terry

Little Terry

I said the same thing, now I'm on my third! That's it in the pic below. They might not set the world alight, but they are cool little motors.

[​IMG]

As for 2hp per cu, That sounds impressive, but at least one of those pics doesn't look like a chevy 235 to me.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  22. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

inline flat earth society

23. 5-4Belair

5-4Belair

I don't see to many around here, so all the more reason to keep the 235. I'm aiming for a mid 50's custom so no small block for me.

24. BIG REDD

BIG REDD
    from upstate NY

my 54 has the original 235 in it and I plan on keeping it that way. I dont need it to be a race car, i want something that can be rock hard reliable and is uncommon at shows. Plus its already in there so no need for swaps. I will prob clean it up, re gasket it, paint it and add a split down pipe.

[​IMG]

25. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

got a 235 in my '46 Chevy coupe, with headers and dual exhaust plans include twin carbs. So yeah they're popular.

26. livinlow

livinlow

got one in my '58 chevy delray. little thing is the most reliable motor i've ever driven. fast... no. cool... YES. it's a stocker, but that is soon to change... haha

personally i'd say they are becoming more popular. especially with having period correct builds gaining popularity. people are just tired of walking around at a show looking under a hood and saying "oh boy, another small block chevy".

27. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

ImageUploadedByTJJ1346776829.317488.jpg
    Well I like the idea to be different. It is a cop out to put a 350 350 in a car. It takes a real man to be different and take the path less chosen

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. I'm Building a 261. Full flow oiling engine out of a 2 ton truck with offy 3 carb intake with zenith carbs, old school Fenton split exhaust with heat riser, hilderbrant oil filter canister, hei dizzy. And offey valve and side cover s.s plug cover and a bunch of other goodies

I do think they are gaining in popularity but the sbc will always be the engine of choice for price and availability of parts.

I'm getting my 261 rebuilt and it's going to cost me over $2500 for the rebuild plus all the " bolt on goodies" I listed above.

I could of had a warmed over small block installed for less then half that

But I like being different and keeping some or the originality of the car present. Not to mention a built inline with the right parts looks just perfect and sounds even better.

I have bought and been given alot of these engines over the years as they get yanked for small block conversions, so as I stated they are getting more popular but are still a drop in the bucket compared to a sbc

And as far as speed and reliability a properly built inliner will keep up with traffic and accelerate fast enough to make you smile and hold on and be just as reliable as any small block on the road.

29. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I like them for certain rides, my daughter is putting one in her truck, a buddie still has the original in line 6 in his 1957 Pontiac wagon, has diven it to Syracuse and Lake George, no issues.

30. Anyone looking for one, I have a 60 235 For Sale, located in the Pocono's PA STEVE