Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stolen 55 Chevy in Maryland - CL AD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wally426ci, Aug 29, 2012.

1. wally426ci

wally426ci

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Hope it gets found quick and they hang the bastards nice and slow !!! Only a 20 minute window ? and in the afternoon sounds like somebody knew nobody was there and they were watching the place..... Check with neighbors in case it was spotted leaving there although I'm sure you already did that.

3. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I'll keep my eyes peeled! I to hope they catch em and horse whip em before hanging em!

4. Always hate to hear this kind of thing. Broad daylight and stolen from inside the garage! That's brazen. Someone must have seen something. Hope it turns out good. Will stay alert to any sightings.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like someone who knew their schedule and was prepared.

6. Shoot, bad news again. This screams of an insider knowing the set up.

I guess my 55 isn't even safe in my garage...

7. Keep you eyes peeled guys. It would be nice to recover another one.

8. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Looks like a trailer park. And not to stereo type but maybe one of the neigbors is less than honerable and had something to do with it. They could look out their window and know when the car is there or not.

9. I just sent an email to the owner via craigslist. Please take a minute to go to the ad and take a good look at the pictures. Let's help him find his car and hopefully catch the scumbags that took it. This has got to stop!!

10. It looks like a nice neighborhood of pre-fab homes, the same as any other neighborhood. I expect people to be honorable no matter where they live.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Really a shame, and it does look like someone knew what they were taking. This is why we are so religious about no one visiting our shop, not even friends. Loose lips and all that jazz.

Hope they find it, that little 55 is a cool looking car.

Don

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I'll keep an eye out on my weekly trips thru Maryland.

13. The rolled front pan looks like one of the parts I made @ Rod 'n Race Fiberglass. Pretty sure I had the only mold. It's still available from the new owner Scott Leber in Ohio.

14. All they gotta do is when I'm sequestered in the 5' x 7' room breakin' one off at 5:45 AM... they could put the entire place on a skid and tow it away in that 10 minute window...

Bob

15. With the stock cars, the hard and fast rule was nobody that wasn't a part of the team was not admitted, except for wives and girlfriends that brought us beer and food.

Bob

16. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I just looked at the ad for that car a couple of days ago,I guess you need to be real careful these days when you start listing your cars for sale.

17. wally426ci

wally426ci

Didn't know it was for sale also. I don't know him, but I appreciate that everyone keeps an eye out. I feel for the guys that this happens to.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There you go, that probably explains how the thieves scoped it out. It only takes 30 seconds to steal one of these early cars, the thieves carry their own ignition switch, reach under the dash and unplug the one on the car, insert their switch, turn the key, and off they go.

If I had an early car with a common ignition switch I would be hiding a secondary kill switch to incapacitate it until the hidden one was turned on. Might not stop them, but it will slow them down and that is all it takes sometimes.

Don

19. Just trying to keep this near the top so more folks will see it. I just learned last evening that the owner had apparently been to a local cruise night just before the theft took place. There is some speculation, and this is purely speculation at this point, that he may have been followed home by the thieves! There's no way to prove this, but it does bring up an interesting point. Any time you are out at a cruise night, car show or just for a ride, be aware of your surroundings and be cautious of "overly" interested onlookers with questions like " Oh by the way, where do you live"! For sure be suspicious of any car that may appear to be following you home. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but with the rash of car thefts recently, you can't be too careful. Once again, good luck to the owner. Hope this turns out well.

20. wally426ci

wally426ci

I agree. Its amazing how much you gab when people talk to you about your car.... I do it myself sometimes and I walk away thinking "why the hell did I say what the value of these cars are to a few punks??" idiot sometimes.

21. .....Don't beat yourself up too badly, we're all guilty.:)

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm getting to where I don't like strangers coming to my house for any reason and my nut case cow dog likes it even less. I've gotten in the habit of having people meet me in the parking lot at my work if I have something for sale that I can load up and take with me for that reason.

I hate to sound like I am picking on racers but this time of year a lot of low buck racers both drag and circle burner are hurting for parts and there are some who aren't above stealing a car for a hot running engine and built trans. I'd be asking around and finding out if there was anyone in the area that had a broke down race car running a small block and no money to fix it who all the sudden had a killer motor in it with no indication of where the money came from to put it there.

23. Easy on the local racers, lol. Shoot, when I was dead broke and had a race coming up, I would scour up a junker for a running 350. Swap in all my parts and off I went. Did that for a race at Islip with a tired 327, that bad boy got me a 4th in the main. I'm pretty honest though, I sat out that year for about 4 weeks with motor woes.

Good tip though. Also look around for places where cars are dumped. I found an old stock car of mine there that I sold, it was totally stripped of everything including the cage.

Bob

24. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Thats a damn shame...

Anyone else who has their car in a driveway should have another car in front of it though to block it, that way the scum bag pos thieves cant take it. Also, if car was sitting there for sometime, it couldve been planned and could be in a trailer in any state by now. Sorry bout your car and hopefully you still arent puking from being sick.

I sure hope it turns up somewhere. I would put the word out on any site I could. Maybe try Chevytalk.org its a forum and has a great section for tri fives...also maybe try trifive.com as well. Sorry for dropping links if I am not supposed to but every site could help...

25. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

About 30 years ago I had put a big block in a 64 Chevelle for a customer
    he passed away and the brother got the car.He would chain it to the tree in his backyard, take the coil wire out, and put three cars behind it. One night his wife came home at I believe 2 am and he went to leave for work at 4 am the cars were out in the street and the Chevelle was gone.He looked everywhere for about a year when he started getting parking tickets from NYC,the car was on the hot list and nobody in the police dept bothered to check.Luckily the theif either sold it, or was driving it every day, he did get the car back, one of the lucky ones.

26. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

A lot of times I've left the hot rod in drive way and garage door up to make a parts runs. Guess I'll have to rethink that move. Hope your story has a happy ending.

27. 50shoe

50shoe

yep, car was on the local craigslist recently. can never be to careful selling on the internet now a days.

28. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

29. SOHC427

SOHC427

SAD, and there is a special spot in Hell, for theifs like this.