Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summit Reman'd Carbs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jchav62, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jchav62

jchav62

Has anyone here ever used the carburetors remanufactured by Summit? I'm thinking about getting one of their Q-jets. Any feedback?

Thanks,
    JC62

2. squirrel

squirrel

You're brave....

3. I can assure you I won't buy another one.:mad: HRP

4. jchav62

jchav62

That's all I needed to know. Thanks...

5. CRYOMAN

CRYOMAN
    from so cal

I bought one a few years ago and it took them 3 trys to get me a carb that worked right.

6. jchav62

jchav62

Is it the same story with Jeg's?

7. I always use a local shop to do my Q-Jets, that way I get my carb back and not something else.

Bob

8. eberhama

eberhama

Bought a '71 chevelle with one on it. It was re-man'd by holley, sold through Summit. It worked awesome once I had my carb guy re-rebuild it. :)

9. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

Talk with Jet Performance in Huntington Beach, CA. They did some work for me in the past. I think they started out doing Q-Jets. They sell a good rebuild kit if you have a carb want to do it yourself.

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

A buddy had numorous issues with a Q-jet from Summit, for an OT resto. Third replacement, he sent to a place called CarbJunkies, in Ga., IIRC. He was happy as a pig in mud, and they got it right the first time. I'm sending them a Holley to do this winter.

11. My experience is pretty much the same as these guys. :mad:

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I can wholeheartedly recommend All American Carburetor here in Florida. I have bought numerous reman Edelbrocks from them from their booth at Turkey Run in Daytona, and my Son had the tripower Rochesters done by them for his Olds. All the carbs they have done have performed exactly like a brand new carb at a fraction of the cost. Nice folks to deal with too.

Here is their site: http://www.allamericancarburetor.com/

As for the Summit Quadrajet, my Son bought two of them for his twin engine boat and he occasionally has a situation where one engine will die for no apparent reason when he is idling for long periods of time , like in a no wake zone. We traced everything else, thinking ignition, vapor lock, etc., but now that I see so many bad reports on here about their carbs I will tell him to check out the carb on that motor.

Don

13. Its assembly line rebuilding. A smaller shop takes the time to blow out passages and whatnot, where as an assembly line needs to get a bunch of them out there or look for another job.

14. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Find a rebuildable Q-Jet and send it to Sean Murphy. He is a Q-Jet expert, probably the best in the country. Your carburetor will be rebuilt SPECIFICALLY for your vehicle, i.e., engine size, wieght, transmission, gearing, etc.

15. This is who I use here on Long Island.

http://www.allcarbs.com/ptlist.php

Great fast service and when they did my OT emissions Q-Jet, I brought it back after I installed it and they fully adjusted it to be emissions compliant.

Bob

16. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

What he said.

17. Swede64

Swede64

Another great Q-jet source is Smitty at www.mjproformance.com
    He´s in Ohio and that´s the only thing he shares with Summit. Great guy, great carbs.

18. squirrel

squirrel

or find a few good used ones, rebuild one yourself and see how it works. If not so good, try another one.

Although I haven't had too many Qjets given to me lately...they seem to be disappearing.

19. Jeggs carries a house brand reman like Summit, but they also carry the JET Performance Products in Stage 1,2, and 3. I have no personal dyno experience with any of these, but have heard some good about them. I'm sure they have a web site to check them out, TR

20. jchav62

jchav62

Thanks for all the info guys! Time to find a good rebuildable qjet.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

FYI, my Sean Murphy-rebuilt Q-Jet has been on my OT SBC 67 Impala SS convertible for almost 10 years with ZERO problems!!
    Cores: Make sure you have one as it is as much as $100 cheaper if you didn't. Easy to find at swap meets or on Craigs List. You be able to get one for around $10, but don't pay more than $20. School yourself on the different Q-Jet models. Chevy Q-Jet's have fuel inlets facing towards the passenger side. BOP Q-Jets have fuel inlets facing straight forward. And you want a pre-smog Q-Jet: 1974 and older.
    Website to decode Q-Jet numbers:
    http://quadrajetparts.com/decode-your-quadrajet-carburetor-t-5.html

22. carbking

carbking

I know nothing about the quality of the company mentioned, and wouldn't say a bad thing if I did; however:

The Q-Jet is NOT a difficult carb to rebuild.

A gentleman by the name of Cliff Ruggles wrote a REALLY GOOD user-friendly book on rebuilding and modifying Q-Jets. It can be ordered through your local book shop (or Google "Cliff's High Performance" and order one directly from the author).

Find a decent core applicable to your application (don't try to put a 307 Chevy Q-Jet on a 455 Pontiac); acquire a good rebuilding kit ;) and rebuild your own. Part of the joy of working on an older vehicle is doing your own work, and learning as you go.

Jon.

23. Small wonder, I hoard up any that cross my path.... each one gets tagged with what it came out of and goes into a plastic bag and then a cardboard box.

Bob

24. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I have had good and bad luck with Rebuilt stuff from Summit.

I am unhappy with the fact that Summit and Barry Grant dont do business any more. Quick fuel technology does alotta stuff for Summit. Quick fuel is reputable.

Summits return policy is tough on their suppliers, it is the same as Wal Marts stuff. High sales amounts are great at the start, but weight heavy on quality long term.

I would like to add, that feedback to corporate, may fix some quality problems in the long run, as opposed to voicing it to the sales floor, which are nothing more then kids who build rice burners.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012