Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about this gold leaf....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PackardWood, Sep 3, 2012.

1. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Hi there, I am playing with some leaf and paint on my welder and was wondering if anyone knows how to put little "effects" in the leaf like is on fire trucks? The border on the front of the welder was done yesterday and the cross, just now so it has not been edge brushed yet as it is still very wet, do you do it when it is wet or wait till it dries? Also what do I clear it with? I was thinking maybe clear nail polish? I don't know crap about it so any tips would be great!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Well I hope it wasn't supposed to be when it was wet! lol Anyone know what to protect the gold with?

3. Well.......My Mom did a lot of gold leaf work on furniture and yachts (names on the transom), and my sister did quite a bit also. Here is what I remember........the swirls, "effects" as you call them, were actually part of the leaf as bought. The leaf was applied over a light coat of paint (in the same figure as the desired leaf) that was cured until barely tacky. They let the leaf applications dry before covering with a light coat of varnish. I would not use nail polish as it will attack the paint on your welder. The outlines/striping was done after the varnish cured.

Hope this helps.....

4. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I saw a TV show last night called American Factories. It was on a factory that manufactures fire trucks. They showed the "engine turning" being done after application.
    It was on Comcast "On Demand"

5. ac0j

ac0j

I saw them do that effect on the fire bike on american chopper. Maybe you can find a you tube vid showing the process?

6. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Cool thanks, you guys saved me from using nail polish, too late on those border stripes tho, already on there, guess I will have to be VERY careful when I put the clear on it, just plain ol' Varnish huh? It will stay clear?

7. If you are referring to the "engine turned" effect that is a fairly simple process.Is the gold you put on real gold(23k) or isi it "dutch metal"(bronze or brass leaf)? If it is real gold only a very light pressure should be applied to it when burnishing as opposed to brass or bronze leaf which is less delicate.The sizing(glue if you will)should be completely dry before doing this.
    I burnish real gold leaf with a cotton ball holding it so I can apply pressure with my thumb using a light pressure against the surface and spacing it as described above.Giving it a half twist and moving it approximately half the distance of the circle described works nicely.
    I use a T-shirt material to do brass,bronze and aluminum leaf.Afterwards I use marine spar varnish to protect it although my next job will include using a newly released material from 1-Shot called,"Sign restoring clear" for refinishing old painted signs.It is totally compatible with enamels;comes in 1 quart cans and is about $25.
    In the How to section here I think there is still a piece I did on gold leafing.You may want to check that out.

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Safariknut saves another one from impending doom WTG. BTW when I burnish gold leaf , I'll take a small piece of veluor and using some cotton balls , make a small pad for turning the leaf.

9. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Thanks, it is 23k gold leaf, touchy stuff, your even give it a hard look and it tears, that's why I got the kind that is backed with paper to handle easier. Also "a newly released material from 1-Shot called,"Sign restoring clear" for refinishing old painted signs.It is totally compatible with enamels;comes in 1 quart cans and is about $25." sounds like the way to go! I know it will play nice with my paint too since it is from 1-Shot. Thanks all!

10. DrJ

DrJ

11. Watch this...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2bzWDPL1QwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EnOp0R4A0QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. THREE ROOMS DEEP

THREE ROOMS DEEP

THE LEAF GUYS AT THE FIREHOUSE USE LIKE A DRILL BIT THAT HAS A WHITE FELT TYPE MATERIAL AND THEY TURN THE GOLD LEAF BY HAND, MUCH LIKE THE WAY GUYS DO ENGINE TURNING ON METAL PARTS. THEN THEY SHADE AND HIGHLIGHT THE LETTERS ETC THEN "CLEAR" OVER THEM. THE CLEAR IS WHAT I WOULD CALL A VARNISH OF SOME SORT OR THEY USE A CLEAR VINYL ON TOP.
    www.goldleaflettering.com ... A GUY WHO DOES IT ON ALOT OF THE FIRETRUCKS ON LONG ISLAND.

13. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Thanks! you sir are only 1 more post from obtaining "newbie" status!...How quickly they grow up....Thanks to all for the leads!

14. Why would you wait until after you applied it to ask?

15. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

That blue tank is impressive!

16. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Not to hyjack this thread, but I just gotta say, ac0j, that is one of the most creative avatars I have ever seen!

17. rodrigose

rodrigose
    from new york

I would not use nail polish as it will attack the paint on your welder. [​IMG]

18. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

It was making the rounds on FB a few month back, I like it too.

19. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

That is an easy one sir, it was due to the fact that one, I don't know WTF I am doing, and two, because I had ingested via the lungs copious amounts of seedless cannabis shortly before starting.:D Bout to have some for breakfast right now!:D

20. It is called engine turned, I think it is because it was popular on Engines (fire engines). Thake a piece of velvet and wrap it around the end of a dowl and then press and turn it.

21. Fair enough.