Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 ford roadster/coupe where is your battery?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ct1932ford, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Buz

Buz

I used a Powermaster AGM cell behind the dash in my 5 window. I used a panel mounted on the inside of the firewall that attaches to long 1/4x20 bolts through the holes for the dash tunnel that I am not using to mount all my wiring. I made a hinged battery tray that will drop the battery down for service. Th AGM cell is very small but has 550CA spins my Flathead over just fine. The battery is above the steering column.

2. swifty

swifty

The Odyssey batteries can be mounted anyway EXCEPT upside down. I wanted to mount mine behind the dash but with a 40 dash and a big glovebox plus a cowl vent there just wasn't room. My seat is out of a Falcon ute and is big and bulky so I couldn't mount it behind or under the seat.

3. Has anyone used the Odyssey PC680 ? How has it been?

4. HotRod31

HotRod31

I have been using Odyssey PC925 for about 6 months (10:1 comp.sbc) no problems. Until now it has been in the trunk, (wanted to make sure it would crank my engine) but I am now moving it under the car on its side. I am trying to come up with more trunk room Model A :)

Later, Mark

5. Thanks! anyone else using a aprox 3" wide battery on it's side?

6. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's the one in my roadster , behind the seat .

Attached Files:

7. Bttt and also looking at a 680 or 925 to install in my deuce roadster. I would like to install it on the passenger rail about 12 inches back from the firewall. Only issue is the exhaust runs close, so how close is too close? How well does the 680 crank a SBF with very little in performance modifications? Does this battery need to be vented if installed in the trunk?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. Passenger side in the trunk against the back side of the seat.

9. swifty

swifty

hb32- my PC680 cranks my 318 Poly over fine and has been perfect in the 4000miles/6 months that I've been on the road. Also my Alternator is only 35 amps output as it's a very early Chrysler one but it does the job just fine. Can't comment on running the exhaust near it as mine is just inside the trunk opening so that it is easily accessible and it is so small that it doesn't affect the space.
    A mate has one also and his sat for over 2 years before he first started his rebuilt SBF and it did that with no worries.

10. Well I have been on the road since April and I am very satisfied with the Odyssey PC 680. Mounted under seat and takes up very little space.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      259.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      246.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      164 KB
      Views:
  11. erlomd

erlomd

awesome

[​IMG]

12. Mine is mounted on the pass side in a marine battery box in the trunk against the bulkhead & the same goes for my 34 5/w same place same way. There is also plenty of room left for whatever you wish to carry.

13. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

That battery could also go under the floor easy. I want a rumble, may can find a spot in the trunk. Just starting.

14. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Mine is in the very same location. Exhaust wraps around the outside edge of the box.

I was thinking of getting one of these and mounting it up inside the frame rails in the stock location. That way I could reroute the exhaust system so it's not poking out from under the passenger side.

15. Thanks for all the replies. I am concerned with the 680 not being big enough but have read lots of posts claiming it works well. If I was to use the 925, I have issues with heat from the exhaust but I could use the 925MJ which has a metal jacket. The 925 requires me to cut an access hole thru the floor plus attaching a holder of sorts to my painted frame. Initially, several years ago, I was going to install in the trunk as I did not know about these smaller batteries.

16. I have a built flathead and it turns that sucker over very easy. It will turn that small block Ford with no problem.

17. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

In the trunk, on the right side by the wheel house.

18. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

In a tool box built against the seat in the trunk. Still have room for basic tools

19. studematt

studematt

Very cool. Sorry but I might have to steal this idea one day.

20. So after reading all the great ideas, I bit the proverbial this morning and ordered a 680 with the intention of mounting it high up under the dash with the thought of remote terminals. Thanks to all for their input.

21. Let us know when it is done!

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ yours is a slick installation. I like the kill switch location too. Are those welding cables for pos/neg leads?

23. Yes both pos & neg Thanks

24. After several hours of fit, whittling and massaging a 1/4" slab of steel 10"X29" into shape, this is what I came up with. I still need to figure out a way to secure the battery to the plate, in place of the vice grips and plywood facsimile. I will tackle that when I pick up the battery sometime this week. Everything is hidden with the dash installed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  25. Battery in place now just need to secure.
    [​IMG]

26. Buckster

Buckster

All this talk about battery location has me wondering about venting a battery. Mine is in a plastic case with a cover. The battery is in the trunk with a weather strip so there is no airflow.
    What can I do to vent the plastic case?
    Thanks

27. I run mine inside too. A small diameter piece of plastic tube (i used flexible aquarium clear tube) is all you need to run from the box thru the floor won't do much when your not driving it but with the air pressure inside the cabin it will work great when cruisin along.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

cpd682 likes this.
  28. The Odessey does not need venting. It is totally sealed.

29. Battery secured. Just need to clean up the rough edges and add some colour.

[​IMG]