Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Henry Ford Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derbydad276, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah... At one time...:(

2. I make it well known to anyone that works there that I want a job 2 weeks after I retire from my current job! There are times when you need to get grounded and when you walk around there it helps you realize we made some cool shit in this country at one time!
    ===========================================================
    I sure agree with that. We were up there a couple years ago and still talk about it all the time. Most "healing" trip I ever made, seeing so much of what made this country great. It would be great to be a guide / docent after retirement. It would be worth it just to get a hit of the SMELL out in the machine shop in the village!! And don't even get me started on the locomotives and all the steam powered generators. :D:DYeeha.

Below: operating deck on biggest damn gas/steam engine ever built. Those are 6 FOOT bore, 6 FOOT stroke, cylinders down both sides! The camshafts are at floor level just behind the railing. 1912 and...Badass!

[​IMG]

This is the other end where the rods conect to the Dynamo. (generator)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, here's a video of Henry himself leading a tour of the powerhouse with one of these monsters running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVEKxKDexU&feature=channel

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

4. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Wasn't Tom one of, if not the first to build/race a belly tank?

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Here are a few more engine shots.More to follow....
    Myron_

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THIS MOTOR IS A WORK OF ART!!!

6. storm king

storm king

Went to the Henry Ford and Dearborn Village when I was 14, when we maed a trip from upstate NY to the Ramcharger's shop to pick up a new race hemi.
    What an awesome place! I want to take the grandkids there next summer, they're getting old enough to appreciate it...I'd recommend it to every gear head. Yes, it is a showcase of what made America great! FREE enterprise, unfettered by draconian, choking, federal regulatory agencies headed by pencil necked assholes...

7. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

8. No, That would be Bill Burke.

9. HFM is amazing! Haven't been in years but I've always wanted to go again. My wife loved the village and all the old buildings when we toured them.
    BTW it's Queenies 50th not 75th Jubilee! LOL. I remember her 25th and I aint that old!

10. evs1

evs1

[​IMG]

Boy, talk about Spam in a can!

11. Deuces

Deuces

I love that blown Cammer...

12. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I grew up about 2 blocks from the museum and village. When we were kids about 1958,my buddy and I would sneak into the village through the gift shop. We just walked in through the exit door. We never caused any trouble,we just liked the history. We spent a lot of time watching the glass blower,and the black smith. My unkle worked for the museum for many years after he retired from the test track across the street. I now own a winter home in Florida about 30 miles from the Ford and Edison estate,love that place also.

13. I've been to the H.F.M. several times and even took in the "Brass Era" show that is held on the Greenfield Village grounds. Anyone that is into anything old must put the H.F.M. on their bucket list.

I haven't been there in several years now but judging by the one photo it appears as though they moved the Tucker down from the top shelf. I remember the Tucker on the top shelf because I climbed up there to get a good look when no one was looking.

Hey anybody have a picture of the first Ford flathead? There is a brass tag on it that says, Serial no.001 and HOLD for H. Ford. Definitely cool!

14. [/QUOTE]Customcab/loveoftiki, I am totally with you guys.There's something about walking through there and admiring what this country used to do.I often think of how great it would be to work there some day. It's like some sort of therapy whenever I visit![/QUOTE]

======================================================
    Yeah, it must be my age. I never felt so comfortable in a place in my life. At every turn you're almost overcome with pride, respect and reverence for all those that came before us. And also a sense of awe that somehow Henry Ford had the presence of mind to save and display all this stuff for the ages! I could kick myself for not taking my kids when they were younger. Just awesome.

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

When last there in 2008 they had a display where you put a model T together. My wife waded right in, put on a couple wheels, added the firewall and gas tank, put in the floor boards and the seat mount. Think she will help me with my truck???? I gotta better chance of seeing God.

Attached Files:

17. The girl running that exhibit the day we were there said they replace the fasteners every so often because they wear out! Especially when big school tours go through.

18. To me, as a certified car nut, this is as good as seeing Jim Morrison as you are going to get. :cool:

19. Deuces

Deuces

Jim ruled!...:(

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Henry Ford is a great place. Meijers stores currently have discount tickets that can be purchase at the store. Look up Meijer community events southeast Michigan.

I led the Civil design on the Restoration/renovation of Greenfield Village back in 02 & 03. That project will always be on the top of my list as the greatset projects I ever worked on. Got to crawl through all of the buildings, and so forth. So much history.

21. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

its there didnt take a pic they also had one of henry's X8 engines on disply looked like a airplane engine overheating problems stoped it from going into production ( fins got clogged with mud)

23. derbydad276

derbydad276

they let my friends kid put front fenders on the kid was smiling from ear to ear

24. Deuces

Deuces

I'd be smilin' also if they let me wrench on that "T"..:D:D:D

25. ChefMike

ChefMike

thanks for sharing

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Day trip to the Henry Ford? I'm in. Mrs Highlander wants to go too. I might pass on Big Boy though. Not on my favorites list...

27. Deuces

Deuces

How about just for coffee???...

28. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

We went to the HFM when we came to America last year. 15 hour flight from Sydney to Dallas, 2 hour stop over then straight on another flight, about 4 hours I think, to Detroit. Checked in about midnight, up at 8 and straight out to museum, most of the auto section was closed for renovation but still spent a full day there. The next day we spent a whole day in Greenfield village. The history that has been saved in these 2 sights is amazing. Well worth the additional flights.

29. Best museum ever! The kids and I are making a road trip up in a few weeks. And the food at their main restuarant rules!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad