Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week - Shrinking sheet metal (even a child can do it).

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bjinatj, Aug 31, 2012.

1. bjinatj

bjinatj

You can take this as a joke or serious, but the fact remains my 6 year old daughter has never touched a hammer before today.. We may not win the tech week, but we sure had fun trying..

Enjoy guys, and thanks for watching!

<youtube>
    </youtube>

2. scotts52

scotts52

Very nice. Keep her interested and you'll both have a great time.

3. You ae trusting. No way would I ever put my fingers under a hammer that someone else is holding.

4. It was actually a great demonstration of technique. It was a bit scary for the fingers a time or two.

5. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

2X and a little more

Ronnie, Just kidding....WOW... I loved the picture in the mock up...but, like Emeril says BAM! You sure kicked it up a notch well really 2 or 3 notches. I hope SHE wins the prize!. Great and your patience and teaching are world class. This is what family and sharing is all about. Glad you can film then post it. Kindest personal regards to you both. David</pre>

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Good tech! Super cool your teaching your daughter these things too!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. oj

oj

Very cool! The part i liked was her evaluating.

8. brady1929

brady1929

9. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Bam Bam! Thanks for the video. I showed my daughter the vid and now she wants to "bam bam " some metal!

10. Forgive a grandpa for being a fuddey duddey, but get the girl some gloves before she cuts her fingers.

11. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

nice video ,but tell her shes stretching the material not shrinking.Keep her interested as we need more chicks in the game!

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

12. great thing having the young one do this. i can't wait until my grandaughters get a bit older.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

very nice, Looks like you have a very attentive member of the FPBA (Future Panel Beaters of America) giving you great help.

14. I loved the video. No hearing protection, no gloves, who cares!!. I have done this all my life and I'm OK. But it's not to say it's good. Just get her to know that its better to have protection.
    I had a 11 year old learn about tearing an engine apart, weld some spark plug airplanes up and use a cutting torch, and grind. He even learned how to suck up some pain when he got burned. The first thing he said when this happened was "Do you have any pain pills"? He lives with his 2 sisters and mother who will pop pain pills if they think its going to be cloudy. So I told him to man up and even if he took pain pills, the pain would have started going down by the time they worked. Out of all the days work, he remembers this piece of knowledge the most. He is now 24 and never complains when he gets hurt. He sucks it up. He worked with me also for a few weeks doing construction and always talked about our day of teaching.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So cool. My daughter will be 4 in january, she already loves hanging out in the shop with daddy. Yesterday she asked me how long it will be till "our" Chevy II is finished, really made me smile. She really feels involved. I am going to wait a bit before I start trying to teach her to weld and bash metal (I am pretty much a neophyte at metal shaping myself) but she already loves this stuff. Such a great feeling to be able to share this with your child.

16. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I learned something, too. Thanks.

17. GregF

GregF

Keep the kids in the garage and they won't want a X-Box.... Kids let's all get a new wheeling machine! :)

Did she getcha? :D

18. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Very cool ,you are a good teacher. Stuff like this working with dad ,she will remember the rest of her life. Now she will understand and appreciate what it takes to build a car .

19. She does nice work and you sir have very fast hands.

20. Black Primer

Black Primer

Cute video. It's cool she shows interest, but if this wins tech week we're all in trouble.

21. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Great video - Gave me flashbacks to my dad showing me how to use a dolly when I was a kid. Excellent :)

Al in TN

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

man that was great. i love to see kids and thier dads going at it!! being a grandpa now changes it for me. i still have my 29 yr. old son here in the shop with me everyday. thank god for him because he does what i can no longer do. but i cant wait for my grandkids to start hangin in the shop.well they do some now but my nerves dont like it.lol

23. bjinatj

bjinatj

Here is the dolly we used in case anyone wondered. We have two of them. One harmonic balancer with the ring and this one without. That makes two great radius's pretty much for free. I always look at metals "dolly potential" before it goes off to scrap..

;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  24. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Meh. Let her build up some calluses, maybe they'll help keep boys from trying to hold her hand :D

25. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

DANG! I'm impressed, girls got SKILLS!

26. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

bjinatj,
    Good for you! Mentoring young people is what they and we all need!
    My daughters and I make things too...there's never enough time for that?

27. So if you win... does your Daughter get the machine?

28. bjinatj

bjinatj

It is funny you asked that. I was going to write on a different subject, but my daughter asked if she could help. I asked how she wanted to help and she mentioned making something with metal like daddy does. That sparked the whole write up. Once she watched it on the H.A.M.B. I was told I could use it, but she already had a place picked out for it in her bedroom. Truth be told if she did by chance win it and wanted to continue learning I would let her keep it in her room if she actually used it. I would also at that time buy her some gloves like previously mentioned. ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  29. Hope she lets you use it!

30. Keeo up the good work dad!! The more people in this game the better for all of us.