Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camaro clip for 1950 Studebaker truck a bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I know some of you hate the Camaro clip/subframe idea for just about anything. But this is a budget project for my 15 year old son. He’s found a little Stude 2R truck and he wants to slam it.

He has very few bucks and is earning the money for everything, so a mustang II front suspension is not in the cards. I can possibly pick up a 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gen Camaro clip for $150 that looks like it was rebuilt at one time (upper ball joints have bolts rather than rivets). And I believe the track width is close to the 2R measurements.

So, has anyone done one of these mods and if so do you have any pictures or advise?

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm one the guys that would normally tell you not consider it, but in this case it would probably be ok. Track width should be pretty close, but if he really wants to drop it, it will drag tires all day long. The other concern I have is that those trucks have an awfully short nose to them out ahead of the front axle centerline. The steering box on the G.M. clip is pretty far forward - usually not a good combination. I would spend smone quality time with a tape measure before I went too far with this deal. At level best the steering box and core support will want to be in the same place though.

If it was mine I'd hit the U-pullit down the street and layout about 200.00 and go with a Jag XJ front end. Much easier to do and a bit narrower than the G.M.

3. skull

skull

l got a 1977 nova sub-frame under my dodge truck and l love it.

it drives and handles really well, one thing that you may have to do is C-notch the rear frame rails to get the drive shaft angle correct. l had to do that in the truck to get a 2.5% down pinion angle and put in a camaro rear-end.

Later :cool:

4. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Good idea about using a Jag front suspension.

Anyone have pictures of a Studebaker truck with a Jag (or other than stock) front suspension?

5. edweird

edweird

we put a 75 nova under this one. drives and rides great. the important thing is carefull measuring and good fabrication and welding skills. good luck.

Attached Files:

6. edweird

edweird

i think camaro and nova are the same width. the nova fits real good.

7. if i had the choice i would go with the jag front end, i have not yet had a chance to do one myself, but the project seems easier and better looking than the clipping your car..

8. aircap

aircap

I know a guy who put the front and rear suspensions from a 80's Firebird under an R2 and said they fit with very few problems..... of course, he put a Ford motor under the hood.

9. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

Got a Caprice subframe on my 2R5. Great, though you may need deeper backspaced rims.

Just put a Gen 2 camaro on the girlfriends M5.

Go do it...........................jag spares/rebuild parts are expensive

Paul

Attached Files:

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I would do the Camaro clip, have one on a 56 Chevy truck and am real happy with it

11. choptvan

choptvan

Get ahold of Dave Pareso. Back street Kustoms. Pretty sure he has one in his stude.

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

No Limit here in SoCal put out a video some time ago showing how they put a Camaro clip in a Chevy truck. Not a Stude but I am sure that the DVD would have a lot of good info that you could use...

http://www.nolimitparts.com/products.asp?dept=1207

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  13. kcstude

kcstude
    from missouri

Here are a few pictures of my '55 Stude, which has the same frame as yours, with a '75 Camaro subframe.

Attached Files:

14. I put a Volare in mine. Notch the stock frame to match and weld it in

15. PackardV8

PackardV8

The Ford Aerostar front suspension is close to a bolt in on the C-cab. U-Pik yards are full of them for cheap, has disc brakes, decent steering, bolts to the stock frame with a couple of spacers and doesn't require any cutting or welding.

Check over on the SDC site or the Stude truck site for some photos.

jack vines

16. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

17. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Camaro clips are to wide especially if you slam the truck the tires will rube the fenders.

18. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

I have a 74 camero clip on my 53. It works great but if I had it to do over again I would save up for an after market mustang 2 or a fatman front suspension. When you cut the frame you lose all your body mounting points and brake pedal mounting points radiator I could go on and on. I have also seen one that was lowered with a droped axle and springs.I think the dropped axle would be the most tradional way Remember the old saying keep it simple stupid

Attached Files: