Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

You got it, Roy. I'll be there for you. Think Ernie will also run a bit!!! Then I'll go and grab pizza's...

Mike, If I ran the CHRR, it gives me two days after to fix any issues, and clean it. Too close for me... No Reunion this year for the Rocket.... Other than seeing the car in Asia, I will not be able to get back with it until the end of January!!! Will hit the March Meet though!

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Had a great day!
    Hooked up with AFXDAVE and DScomet today at the Hines Drive Cruise.We talked Comets and had a look through just a portion of Daves piles of vintage Comet racing pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great pictures, Dave and your Comets look great, sounds like fun...I live to far away to hear about those events....Al

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;sounds good! I should be there by 3-3:30,easier than dealing with the later traffic!!!My buddy Brian is bringing his car down for some T&T also.It looks like the heat should be manageable too[if you trust the weatherman]!I hope Ernie can make it so we can show the imports how our old truck engines run!!!! ROY.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  5. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I hear he'll be in attendance.

6. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Just cracked open the bottom end of the "mystery Windsor". This is a complete engine I bought awhile back, minus the exotic nitrous-plumbed tunnel ram. The bottom end looks pristine and new, never run. Factory stampings on the rods, and I can see some high compression JE pistons. Two bolt block, but it was purchased back in 1970-1972, as an over the counter Ford bare block, intended to race. I wonder if the addition of the nitrous system for the old Pro-Gas class would have made it the intended 650 HP engine it was? Oh, it has a BIG solid roller cam too. Everything looks so clean, new, oiled and lubed, maybe I'll just pull off the heads to square away the valvesprings, clean everything up, and go find a dyno???? I'll get pics of the bottom end tomorrow.

7. skywolf

skywolf

Not sure if this has been posted before.

[​IMG]

8. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Yes it has, but don't remember it being that nice (clear) of a photo...Al

9. Merritt

Merritt

Roy, the last I heard Irwindale was closed, what happened? It’s great to hear it’s open.

10. Merritt

Merritt

Ken, Sorry to kear you haven't been able to get out racing, are you going to be able to get out? I know you had some goals for the Comet.

By the way the picture of your rig a few pages back was impressive, a rig that clean says alot about the company that owns the equipment.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Merritt;yes,Irwindale was closed for a while,been open a couple of months now!I'm trying to get a couple of hits just to check everything,the Comet has only been out of the garage to two local car shows since the March Meet!!! I was going to test last Thursday but my F350 Dually decided to puke a rear axle seal,not a terrible repair but lost a day to clean up of parts and pieces! I leave Tuesday afternoon for Canada,nothing like waiting until the last minute!!! ROY.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

What a total bummer. Roy, and a couple buddies make the trip down, the skies open up and drench the area, and Irwindale calls it....... Only bright side was they did not take anyone's money and refuse to give a raincheck. Good track management!! I'm proud of 'em! So I meet the guys at the local pizza joint, and it gets hit by a bolt of lightning!!! Go figure!!!!!! And- - how do we finish off the day? I locked my keys in the truck........ Just one of those afternoons I guess...... Sorry Roy, and Brian, that you did not get some track time in...
    Dale

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;we still had a good time at the Restaurant!!!Trip home was "FUN".too many KRAZY people on the road!!! I got home and remembered the 750HP was sitting on the back seat!!!I guess I will find out if the old truck engine can still perform when I get to Canada!!!From what I hear about Mission I better get ready for some quick times,sea level track,lots of greenery around for oxygen too,YEE HAW!!!!! ROY.

14. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

15. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

16. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Looking good!

17. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy

Have a safe trip & good luck in Canada.....Mike

18. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

Be safe heading that way Roy

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike and Jerry;Thanks for the good vibes!!! I hope all my traveling bad luck is WAAAAAAY behind me!!!I was gone for a couple of days,get home and open my e-mail to find I get to play with the big boys and run N/SS while at Mega Ford! The old truck engine is strong enough to play with the FE boys!!!!Leaving some time Tuesday,trying to make it to Olympia WA.,and Brian Guggenmous' home in time to see his collection of Ford products,get some sleep,then he and I will caravan with our Comets in tow the last 5 hours or so to Canada!! ROY.

20. FEDER

FEDER

Roy. Good to hear Your coming to Mega this year. Once you come Im sure You will come back. Its a great racetrack. The Frasier river is right next to the staging lanes,right where it dumps into the ocean. Below sealevel readings is not uncommon there. The track itself is one of the nicest on the west coast. The saturday night party and band is also lots of fun.Watch out for those canadians and there 8% Beer! There more than willing to give ya too many. My Son and I will be there with our Blue Injected Dart. We will add 150lbs in the trunk to make the 10.0 N/SS. We were at CHRR in 2006. We live 2 1/2 hrs south of the border just off I-5 at Warmbeach, north of Seattle. Ill pm You My pn if you need anything. Fed

21. SOHC427

SOHC427

Good Luck Roy!!
    I have faith in your ole truck motor, and the ole guy banging that jericho!
    Be Safe!
    Eric

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;heading out tomorrow,hopefully around noon.I'm trying to be in Olympia,WA by Thursday afternoon to hang out with Brian and stay at his home.He has a 65 Cyclone,351C,Jerico,runs 11s,we will caravan up to Mission on Friday morning.Meeting up with Jim and Jackie Gonia,Jim is trying to get us in to a private car collection on Monday after the race.Do you know if you and Ken are coming out to CHRR? I'm in,running A/FX again this year,at least trying to qualify!!! ROY.

23. Have a safe trip coming North Roy. Looking forward to meeting you and Brian.
    Roger

24. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Good Luck Roy and all going with you. Also congrats on the NSS invite...Al

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- I hope you will bring as good, or better news than I had! After the dust settled Thursday evening at Irwindale, I netted a 7.71, but we found the carb was only opening up to about 3/4 throttle. Looks like the new combo 289 Rocket will be a deep 11-second car!!! We ran out of tuning time (this happens ALOT at Irwindale, due to long staging lane lines on a weeknight) but I was amazed about the turnaround the Comet has made!!

26. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Congrats Dale

Will you get to make some smoke & noise on your Mooneyes trip or is it just a lookie-lookie event?.....Mike

27. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I was told that they expect me to make the drive on the streets of Yokohama from the port, to the convention center...... Lots of smoke and tire stripes methinks........:D

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Is it feasible to have a converter built that will stall at 5,000 rpm behind my 289, and not have to use a transbrake, footbrake only??

29. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Your converter needs to stall close to your peak torque for it to work proper and in turn make you happy with your time slips. 8 inch from a good company and have a pile of info for them when you call. Pull up a web site and most have a work sheet for you to use.....good luck Al

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Well the LONG trip[1487 miles one way]was a bust[performance wise],was greeted with a strange track,greasy left lane and a strange hooking right lane[did get a 10.33 at 129+].I never figured out the left lane[3 tries],finally got the right lane to hook straight then broke the 3-4 shift arm off of the trans[Jerico]on my last hit.Met a bunch of great racers that I only knew through web sites,weather held until about the WA-OR border,then RAIN.A lot of 64/65 Comets there and a lot being built as drag racers!! ROY.