Register now to get rid of these ads!

IDing an old Bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickhmn, Sep 1, 2012.

1. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

Checking in to see if anyone has a clue exactly what we're looking here. Our suspicion is a 23 bucket but the rods sticking out the sides have us stumped. Just dug it out of the woods today. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When the rods are sticking out of the side of a motor it's not a good sign. The body doesn't look too hot either but it is a roadster and you have the hardest part. Finding a cowl is easier.

3. Home made fender mounts?

4. That's the back half of a touring, maybe somebody already made a "roadster" out of the front, more than likely the back was taken off to use the "T" as a farm truck.

5. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

The rods look stock. Here's a shot of the brackets that support them from the inside.

Any thoughts on the swing on the hinges, I notice some swing from the front and back like this one.

[​IMG]

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Model T Ford Touring Car back half from 1915-25. The rods are fender mounts, all stone stock and correct. Bob

7. Top mount. Your first pics were misleading on that one because your hand covered it.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

The bracket in your hand is for the top irons to mount. Bob

9. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

Excellent...now what to do with it??

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry the photos a fuzzy, I'll reshoot them. Lots of wood needs to be replaced. Bob

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just noticed you need a "Welcome to the HAMB!" Bob

12. Go the Twin Cities Roadster's swap in Oct, see if the "T" guy still has the Canadian cowl (they have both left and right doors), rehang your doors with the hinges on the cowl, fab some rockers and a subframe, and then use the resulting "roadster" body to build a hot rod.

13. Well...if it were me, I would spend time and money on it and then let it sit stored away for a few years and then sell it for a fraction of what I spent on it....but thats just me...:)

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do as Rich said previously and pick up a Canadian cowl that uses two doors and make a T bucket body out of it or pick up the front half of a touring and build a little four seater tub that you can haul a couple of extra passengers.

15. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

LOL 56don much wisdom there!

Excellent ideas Rich. I may just make the body a project and put a car build on ice. I'm definitively going to want to dig up good pics and plans for the wood construction.

16. walker

walker

Or skip the wood work and just use steel tubing and weld it together. Since it is not going to be a touring it won't need as much wood as it did. If you don't put in doors it needs even less wood.

17. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

'23-'25 No fender indentation- This is the best one to use because you don't have to worry about centering the rear end in the fender well.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for pinpointing the year, I didn't know or forgot about that detail. Bob :)

19. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

Thanks everyone for the help...this is all new to me so I'm starting from scratch. My buddy posted this thread on his account for me...thanks to Rick!
    (I went ahead and got my own now)

I'm likin' the wood frame thing...any leads for that are appreciated. Here's another pic which shows the overall condition better...I'm jazzed about just building up a complete bucket body out of this for now. I've got way way too many irons in the fire.

[​IMG]

20. rickhmn

rickhmn
    from minnesota

Dave
    You build a body and I'll build a chassis with banger power. We'll set it together in a year.

21. dwhollrah

dwhollrah
    from Minnesota

Sounds VERY interesting. Banger power?