Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yngrodder, Aug 29, 2012.

1. yngrodder

yngrodder

I have been looking at 41 ford coupes, I was actually looking for a deluxe coupe and stumbled on a business coupe that is a very nice car. Problem is i have two young kids that i need to have room for. Does anyone have pics or information on rear seats that have been added to a business coupe and actually have a little leg room. All of them that i have seen the seat cushion is against the front seat.. I really do not want to put two seats facing each other. Any ideas???? Thanks

2. yngrodder

yngrodder

3. yngrodder

yngrodder

4. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Maybe try fold-down jump seats. I believe that I've seen them before in 39 and 40 coupes but don't have pictures. Anybody?

5. They offered jump seats in 1941, would work great for kids.

6. Fogger

Fogger

That's a beautiful '41, I'm sure you can find jump seats that would be comfortable for your kids. I like that car!

7. Look at the jump seats in a '83-'92 extended cab Ford Ranger. Those would be cheap and might work, should be easy to find at a pull-your-own-parts place.

8. yngrodder

yngrodder

Does anyone have pictures of these jump seats in a businesss coupe?

9. They will be like the sideways facing seats that you really don't want to do. It will in effect make it an opera coupe, although I don't think Ford actually made an opera coupe.

Depending on how little your kids are they are actually a good option, it gives the kids room for their legs or to play games with each other, they can still see out fine.

The pics make it look to be a really sweet coupe.

Hey I just remembered there is a '41 Coupe in the town we plan on retireing to. it is an older rod. I haven't looked at it real close because i don't have money to spend on it, but I am going to be up there saturday if you want me to snap a pic or two and inquire about it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The coupes with opera or jump seats are Fords business coupes.

11. yngrodder

yngrodder

Please do take pics and info if you would, is it in mo also?

12. phat rat

phat rat

How small are your kids? I used, I think, an 80's Toyota rear seat. Sorry I don't remember for sure as that was back in 94. We did have to cut some the bottom frame work but other than that it fit great. the reason for cutting on the bottom was that the bottom cushion would have been too high. It is a bit hard to get in the back but adults have sat back there. As others have said they did make an opera cpe in 41 but those seats are sideways which you've said you don't want.

13. yea abput 30 miles south of the Iowa border and dead center. I'll go meet the fella and see if it is family type of a coupe or not. If he doesn't get his shots in a wad I'll snap a pic or two for ya.

14. Model T1

Model T1

Sorry no pictures. But our 1939 Ford deluxe coupe has some sort of Dodge full bench rear seat added. Been there way before I got it in mid 70's. Hauled two little rugrats in it. Was maybe as much leg room as an early Camaro or Mustang.
    The 1940 Ford had an optional Opera seat on each side facing in.
    Like others suggested, there are many small truck rear seats and even mini vans in all sorts of configurations. Sorry, I said mini van!
    If you really want room buy a 2 door sedan or 4 door. I'll trade my 2-door 41 for your coupe if that will help ya!:D

15. If you want a 41 Ford that will fit the kids and be comfortable as they grow - you want a 41 Club Coupe. These came factory equipped with a nice rear seat.
    My Grandpa's car - was a Club Coupe ( see avatar ) and it had/has late 40s sup-up parts that really make for a cool ride for everyone front and back passengers!

A neat option, after the kids grow up - you can get a nice chop out of the Club Coupes since the rear seat room may not be needed, or if not, you will have room to cruise with friends.

Why not get a Coupe that fits what you need, rather then fit small jump seats that will not grow with the kids.

Best
    John

16. jimbousman

jimbousman

photos of 1941 Ford opera seats:

Attached Files:

17. yngrodder

yngrodder

Thanks, im going to look at it tomorrow,

18. phat rat

phat rat

Look closely at the rocker boxes and the cowl inside the front fenders. Also in the picture you posted of the front it looks as though the front fenders have been made into one piece. They look as though there's no seam in the front where there should be. They should look like this

Attached Files:

19. yngrodder

yngrodder

Phat Rat thanks for the info. So the body line on your where the fenders have the seem they are actually two peice upper and lower? With this one being made one piece is that going to cause any problems besides maybe cracking?

20. phat rat

phat rat

I wonder how it was done. You can still see the line along the side but not in the front. In 41 Ford had both 2 and 3 piece front fenders. the 2 piece had a top and bottom and that line is where they joined/bolted together. The 3 piece had the top and the bottom piece was 2 pieces joined/bolted together at the top of the wheel wheel. I think the seam filled only in front looks awkward. But that's just my .02 worth

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  21. I used the rear seat from a 1998 Chevy Venture mini van in my business coupe-the backs will fold flat if you want them to or want access to the trunk

When upholstery is done I will cut the hump off the top of the seats and loose the headrests
    Small seats that are good for a little fella-easy to have seat belts too

Attached Files:

22. yngrodder

yngrodder

Well just went and looked at it, did not buy it im going to think about it overnight, Im probably going to pass. Its a very nice car, driveline is all org. Has a new L/B interior,would hav eto change front seat to add a rear seat. Fenders are welded to body and all trim holes have been filled as well.

23. slickbastard

slickbastard

The 41 looks nice but i like your model A sedan better. Saved a photo of it from a car show and wondered who's it was. Very nice car. Had to take a double take thinking it was a 32.

24. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Not the best picture, but as others have said, consider a Fat-Fendered Two Door sedan. There is enough room in here for a baseball team! I'll take more pics if you want.

25. yngrodder

yngrodder

Ive got a 38 ford standard (street rod)2 door sedan as well. But im wanting to build a chopped 40s early 50s custom. And wanting to start with a good solid car like they would have started with in the day

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I used a rear seat out of a Toyota Celica [ 197???] in the back of my 40 coupe when our boys were small. Worked good, no room for teen or older though. I will see if I have a picture, although I don't recall ever seeing one.

27. 34PEECUP

34PEECUP

A few years back I used a 60s t bird wraparound back seat and ford granada back seat cushion. granada front bucket seats in a 41 ford short door coupe. all recovered to match will look for photos was great for small ones to sit in the rear area as the t bird backrest is not to thick an no package tray it fits the shape of the body below the window

28. yngrodder

yngrodder

Well i ended up buying it :) first thing is 12 volts and brake adjustment

29. Any updates with the car? Did you determine a rear seat solution.

30. yngrodder

yngrodder

Not yet I put a couple bean bags back there for the remainder of the summer ( the Kids loved that) I lowered it and went through the brakes and logged some miles on it, I bought a 38 coupe and Ive been working on my 40 p/u so I have not worked on the 41 much, Im going to get started on it in the next few weeks, I think Im going to end up with a couple folding boat seats back there with matching upholstry,

I have box skirts for it now and a chop is in the near future,