Register now to get rid of these ads!

What motor oil for my new 408 SBC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Aug 31, 2012.

1. kscarguy

kscarguy

I just got my engine back from the builder. What oil do I use with a flat tappet cam? Anyone using shell diesel oil? Is Mobil 1 racing oil decent?

2. Master of None

Master of None

I'm running Brad Penn racing oil with Lucas oil stabilizer . It has a high zinc content and most of the circle track guys around here run it. They haven't reported any cam failures at a average of 6500 rpm, so I figure my mild street motor will be just fine.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I always use Valvoline Racing 20/50. My Daily driver used a quart of oil between oil changes so I switched to Valvoline Racing in that too. Never used oil again.

4. What ever oil you use make sure it says added ZDDP for protection. Then still add a bottle of engine break in lube such as Comp Cams. They and others actually suggest running a bottle of it for every change. It's a hell of a lt cheaper than a camshaft change. I changed a stock camshaft in a nailhead and they actually recommended Rotella T.

5. TORCO has been developing advanced lubricants for top engine builders since 1950. You may want to check out their web site, there is a wealth of information on it.
    www.torcousa.com

6. SATANACHIA

SATANACHIA
    from Alabama

I say brad penn

7. k9racer

k9racer

My engine machine shop man will only warranty my race engines if I use Pensoil racing 25/50 with wix racing oil filters. At this time I race 2 from him both have over 2000 laps.

8. Fogger

Fogger

To protect your investment ask the machine shop that built it what they recommend. I personally use only Wix filters and Valvoline VR-1 or the old Kendal GT-1 20-50 racing oil. But you need to break in the camshaft with a recommended break in oil and additive.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use Brad Penn 15-40, but I used Brad Penn straight 30wt breakin oil for the first 500 miles.

10. wiseman45

wiseman45
    from terrell,tx

I would recomend Valvoline racing oil. I run 60 weight in my 502 racing
    motor.

11. 383man

383man
    from Md

Valvoline racing oil here. Never a problem and just broke in my new flat tappet cam last July. Ron

12. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

Brad Penn will get the job done for you. made by ARG. American Refining Group. The oldest continiously run refinery in the world. Located in Bradford PA. that's were the name comes from. And they are on Kendall Drive, where GT-1 used to come from. Phillips 66 now makes the Kendall brand. The best thing about the Brad Penn is that it is affordable, and the have a good web page so you can find a retailer. Now my fellow hotrod junkies that is your lube lesson of the day!!

13. i like Brad Penn as well. no need to add anything. We run it in our Bonneville cars as well straight up. if it handles 1000-1500hp at 8500-9000rpm for 5 miles it should handle your hotrod. We did lots of testing with our engine builder and this is our favorite. We ran the Pennzoil racing oil for a couple years by recommendation of our builder as well with decent results.
    Mobil has changed alot in the past year or so. I wouldn't run anything from Mobil even in a de-tuned Yugo.

Hans

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  14. Larry T

Larry T

I used Lucas 30 wt. Break In oil on the last two engines I built. Never had any problems with Lucas products.

15. jmh

jmh

Another vote!!! John

16. Do not run Mobil 1 with a flat tappet cam.

Use Brad Penn 20w50

Only run a synthetic oil in a full roller engine.

17. Larry T

Larry T

I thought some of the NASCAR guys ran synthetic? Did I dream it (distinct possibility)?

BTW, I don't run synthetic in anything. Never have, probably never will.

18. I don't believe any of the roundy-round guys run a flat tappet cam engine Larry. But then, I could be wrong about that since I haven't followed NASCAR since they stopped being "stock" cars.

19. Larry T

Larry T

Could be, I haven't looked at their rules lately either. Used to be they had to run flat tappet cams. They ran mushroom lifters like Y-blocks (maybe??), so they could run steeper ramps than you can with stock lifters.

20. You engine builder should recommend the right oil and break in procedure.

21. The Cup cars run "flat tappets".
    Nationwide, Trucks, and ARCA, run rollers.

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Brad Penn here. Never a cam/lifter failure since we started running it 4 years ago. I have cams that are on their 3rd freshen without a problem.

The "cup" cams are a different animal than most of us run. They have hardened material welded into a recess machined into the lobes and it's very expensive to do. Don't compare what we have to what they run.

SPark

23. The Cup guys are on a different planet.
    Powdered Metal camshafts, DLC coated lifters,
    HUGE spring pressures, etc. Their stuff is EXPENSIVE.
    Rollers would be less.