Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stoopid question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murfman, Aug 31, 2012.

1. murfman

murfman

I have my asbestos underpants on just in case...

I want to shave the hood ornament off of my Daughter's '53 Plymouth Sub Urban project, BUT what do you guys do about the brace for the hood latch that uses the same mounting bolt as the hood ornament to hold it to the hood? Just weld the brace to the hood? I guess I am just worried about the welds or the sheet metal cracking from vibration etc when driving. Am I over analyzing this? Just want to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance Murf

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a better answer could be made with a photo, without one I'd say weld it all together.

3. You better make some other kind of metal sandwich.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

mmmmmmm sandwich...:D

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Weld a stud into the hood so you can still SCREW IT on!!! :)

[​IMG]

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the old days they would have welded the bolt into the hole from the inside, filling the hole and providing a bolt to hold the latch. Seems a little crude but that's the kind of thing they did in the fifties. No doubt someone has a better answer, involving machine tools and hand made parts.

7. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

never did it on a ply - but I've done many on 55 chevs which have a dimple where the hood orniment bolts on -I just bolt it together with a 1/4 inch bolt tightend down good,then bondo over it . It will work & it will last!!! I'ts been like that on my personal 55 since 1980

8. murfman

murfman

I was thinking this but worry that tightening the nut on the stud would dimple the hood after painting

9. I sure as hell wouldn't do that !
    Try to take the entire design into account.

Ornament on one side, hood skin in center, latch on back side. That's the original sandwich. And it spreads the load around without depending on one or two 3/8 dots in the hood skin for much if any of its strength.

10. murfman

murfman

That is why I have not done that, I'd just like to see what others have done. I KNOW I am not the first to do this. I just want to do it correctly.

11. Gromit

Gromit

plug weld and fill?