Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. racer32

racer32

Hey guys. I'm looking for a smaller canned ham trailer to use for vending at events. I've been surfing craigslist looking for one for months, but ain't having much luck. Then I remembered this thread. I've scanned through it a few times, but haven't ever made it through all 47 pages yet, lol. Maybe one of y'all who frequent this thread can help me locate one close to the D/FW metroplex. Finder's fee will be your choice of cash or free BBQ at any event.

2. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

Here's my family's. First let me start off with an intro to my grandfather who built it. He was a minesweeper and wwll and after returning from the war, he was always building something. No, he wasn't a hot rodder, but was into farm machinery and the likes. After reading an article on converting a bus to a camper in a popular mechanics magazine in the 1950s, he bought a used 38 chevy school bus and turned it into a fully fuctional camper. As he had more kids, he needed more room for their frequent fishing trips, so he sold that one around the mid to late 60s (it's still around, owned by a man in KY now) and bought a 1952 chevy built by superior. He owned it ad went on trips all over for a few decades until my Dad (his son in law) bought it in 1991. Dad painted it the current color it is today and we still take it all over, though not as far as we used to anymore.

The engine is a 261 out of an early 60s truck. As far as I know, the trans is the same as it came with originally. The interior is just as my grandfather (who passed this May) had left it when sold aside from the addition to an air conditioner that rests on top of the bus. We even still use the ice box as oppose to a fridge.

Here pictures and a few videos of the bus. In one of the videos, he said it was the 235, but he told me he said that just so people wouldn't nit pick about it not being original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNGNilKi9Ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ScKJhyiP8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Of2oNI17A

3. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

Here's my family's. First let me start off with an intro to my grandfather who built it. He was a minesweeper and wwll and after returning from the war, he was always building something. No, he wasn't a hot rodder, but was into farm machinery and the likes. After reading an article on converting a bus to a camper in a popular mechanics magazine in the 1950s, he bought a used 38 chevy school bus and turned it into a fully fuctional camper. As he had more kids, he needed more room for their frequent fishing trips, so he sold that one around the mid to late 60s (it's still around, owned by a man in KY now) and bought a 1952 chevy built by superior. He owned it ad went on trips all over for a few decades until my Dad (his son in law) bought it in 1991. Dad painted it the current color it is today and we still take it all over, though not as far as we used to anymore.

The engine is a 261 out of an early 60s truck. As far as I know, the trans is the same as it came with originally. The interior is just as my grandfather (who passed this May) had left it when sold aside from the addition to an air conditioner that rests on top of the bus. We even still use the ice box as oppose to a fridge.

Here pictures and a few videos of the bus. In one of the videos, he said it was the 235, but he told me he said that just so people wouldn't nit pick about it not being original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNGNilKi9Ts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ScKJhyiP8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Of2oNI17A

4. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Does anyone happen to have a Bargman L-66 door handle kicking around? I broke the one on my Scotty, and now I cant locate one. They came on probobly 20 different brands of old campers....

Jon

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Post a photo.

6. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Stolen from the web....

[​IMG]

7. riptrack 30A

riptrack 30A

Here is my '66 Aristocrat Lo-liner (12 ft). Too big for my '30 coupe to pull, so I'm building a '51 F-1 to drag it to shows. Main selling point of this model is the steel 10in wheels you can install to fit it in a standard garage door for storage! I got this one for $750.00, It's all original, perfect shape, no water damage, no rot. Love to take it out, but the wife won't go with because no bathroom.

Attached Files:

8. Deep Purple

Deep Purple

This is my little Qek Junior
    Its a camper from Germany
    This model was built 1974-90

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Deep Purple

Deep Purple

On that pic my 32 was not finished
    My Deuce "today" :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I kinda like it, nice size. But a little too plain on the outside... a good retro paint job would probably help a lot. Gary.

11. Deep Purple

Deep Purple

any suggestions on a paint job like that ?

12. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

Thats exactly what Im lookn for. Nice find!

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Not Retro so much, but I thought it looked cool in it's own right.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nothing in particular, but a cruise back thru this thread looking for Shasta-like color schemes should net you some good ideas, they seem to be the most colorful ones to me. Gary

15. atch

atch

that's exactly why i don't have one. i'd love to have something like these i could pull with clarance, but sherry wouldn't go with me 'cause she won't sleep in anything that doesn't have a bathroom in it.

16. riptrack 30A

riptrack 30A

Well,.......It's not that it don't have facilities, they just aren't as private as she would like.......some pics of the inside and the beginnings of my '51. The "facilities" slide into a cabinet under the bed. I will be replacing the curtains and cushions.

Attached Files:

17. Riptrack, I'm so jealous of your turquoise stove. My HAMB can has a crappy brown one.

[​IMG]

18. Patrick46

Patrick46

Great paintjob idea there LN7 NUT!! I really like that!!
    ...and the matching wheels are a must too!

and LowKat....you can always take the side & front panels off your stove and have 'em powdercoated turquoise!!

19. Deep Purple

Deep Purple

Thanks that was ccol LN7 NUT

What about a paint job on the camper, to fit my deuce ?
    ( maybe paint it black later on )

[​IMG]

20. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Post it on the photoshop thread and more people might do it for better results!

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's a cool old bus. My wifes dad built one from a 54 Ford school bus in the mid '60's which they drove all over the country. After we got married, I ended up buying the very same bus, unknowingly, for the rebuilt flatty in it, which I put in our '47 Ford dump truck. She hasn't really forgiven me yet for cutting up "her" bus!

Brian

22. docmike

docmike

Here are a couple of scans from the flyer for the tent trailer I just brought home. I haven't even had a chance to open it up yet to check out the canvas but, I know it has never been stored outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Doc

23. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

How about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

northernmerc likes this.
  24. kennkat

kennkat

OMG!!! :) Where is that Buick??? ;) I gotta have me one...:rolleyes:

25. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

It is in St Louis Michigan and is for sale........ search Shamrockaway

When new....

[​IMG]

Build your own!!!!!

[​IMG]

26. For information on the Buick google search ShamRockAway. One heck of a neat story. I'd really like to see that thing restored some day.

27. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

28. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Some Cadillac versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a Rambler version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

My parents had this same one sold by Wards one when I was growing up. Used it for years.

30. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Add me to the Spartan club.
    Drove up to Peru IN. 3 weeks ago and picked up a 49 Manor.

Already stripped it to the frame and ready for sand blasting.
    Let the building fun begin.

C.

Attached Files: