Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chain drive steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kduke54, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I saved this pic from somewhere:

Attached Files:

2. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

3. We did this at least once before.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373616

Had a chance to fly in an old C47 once. Got to sit just behind the pilot and copilot for a while. The one thing that I remember is that the yokes (steering wheels) were connected to the control cables below with bicycle chain that ran through the mast (steering column).

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I have pictures of that a little further back in this thread

5. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

This chain drive works perfect or a little better. Gives me twice as much room. Looks great. They need to approve this it is a much more natural driving position. The extra comfort and the quality of the product makes this truck much safer than before.

I love it.

6. I do not know your height but you should lose some weight if you are not 8 foot tall. The only way that you get over weight is to eat too much. Get some help.

I am sure everybody tells you to lose weight and you get tired of listening. A friend lost a lot of weight without telling a soul. He had surgery. Then everybody thought he was sick and too skinny.

7. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

You are a class act Sturgis. I am sure I would rather ride in a truck built by you using duct tape and wire. Any of your solutions win a SEMA award?

This is a very good quality solution. The steering column comes straight out and not straight up. I prefer the more modern intelligent reliable solutions to duct tape and wire.

You can build and drive whatever you want and I will do the same.

8. gatz

gatz

Congrats Wizard; I think it's a great idea. When the time comes to put a steering column/system in my project, this may very well be the solution.

gatz

9. Got cha! I think this thread is more of an advertisement. I did not criticize
    the system but asked you to get help for being 300 pounds. I heard that you can get Social Security Disability, if you weigh over 250 pounds.

I have not won a SEMA award.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That's been on the market for quite a few years, and I never heard any complaints. I'd guess the "chain" is one made somewhat like a timing chain. And those can take quite a beating, considering the constantly changing load on it.

GM used a similar style chain drive between engine and trans, for the front drive Eldo and Toronado models. Think "Timing chain on steroids".

4TTRUK

11. I had a Citroen CX with hydraulic steering- great but took some getting used to. It had a steering column of sorts but only because Citroen decided the public would worry if there weren't some mechanical connection between steering wheel and steering rack.

Earlier in the development of the CX the engineers had a system where the steering wheel didn't even move - it was sensitive to the turning effort of the driver; sort of like the rubber button brake pedal that did make it into the production car.

12. Scumdog

Scumdog

Look at the HAMB thread Photos From Days Gone by - in the old pics there are not too many fat people - there also seem to be way less 'junk-food' outlets.

Correlation? I bet there is!

13. Funny how this went from a steering thread to a diet thread. Weight Watchers is on a different forum I believe.

14. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

I did not design or build this product. I just purchased it. So it is not an ad for the product. Just saying I liked it. Somebody on this forum did design and build this product. Hope he sells more. It works well.

15. People that owned these trucks when new must have been "MIDGETS"! If i wasn't using a "quick release" on my steering wheel i would use this system. One thing to consider is the force to make it fail would most likely be fatal to any occupants of the vehicle

16. kduke54

kduke54
    from Plano, TX

The Steer Clear product is very well made. I think it would take a big hit and still be functional. It is completely sealed.

17. RichG

RichG

What difference does it make? Damn. The thread's about the guys steering and how well the solution works for him. Try to focus.

18. Kduke 54 could be on ABC's "Extreme Weight Loss" show. They could show how he had to modify his steering so he could drive his pickup. The end could show him replacing his original steering system after his weight loss was achieved.

I guess they pay the people on these shows a lot of money. They have a lot of fake drama on these shows and you could mention that Sturgis suggested he try to lose some weight. It would be nice if he could have a tear in his eye when he says" thanks Sturgis, I owe all of this to you".

I can not stand most of the shows on ABC, so be sure to post a notice if they accept you.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  19. swissmike

swissmike

This was so funny that I almost pooped my pants. I am sure you must carry a license to legally be able to tell such deadly jokes...

20. __________________________________________________

Traditional ideas do die hard, but if you look back, this is an old idea. It has been done and proven to work and is also strong. You don't see it, because most people don't understand it. Understanding new ideas is to open one's thought to learning!

"Real hot rods don't have fenders "

21. shotrod

shotrod

hell big trucks were driven by a chain, hell you could even do a set up for steering with a gilmer style belt and it would be just as strong!

22. Yes, chain steering has been around a long time. I was at a Steam Tractor threshing bee a couple of weeks ago. I think most of the steam tractors were built the teens and twenties. They are really big pieces of machinery.Some of the other tractors were huge and the had reciprocating engines. They are about 20 feet high. Avery was one of the manufactures.
    They all had chain steering. The front axle could pivot horizontally and vertically. The steering chains were connected to the ends of the axles. The chain ends were connected to a large shaft. when the shaft turned one chain pulled and the other chain unwind-ed. This steering principle was also used on old Soap Box Derby cars except they used rope and a wood dowel.

If you ever get close to a steam or old tractor show, you should go. Amazing stuff that runs.

23. wizardfab

wizardfab

Thank you for posting what you think about Steer Clear. It is always good to get feedback. Enjoy driving your truck, and thanks again

24. Hotrodray

Hotrodray
    from Sweden

Woudt pass our saftey inspektion... But i wish it would..

25. My coupe shares space in the body shop with another 34 five window. It has a big block chevy and the owner uses one of those steering chain drives. His appears to be a shop-made unit and I've spent some quality time investigating his installation. It moves smoothly and solves a plethora of space and steering shaft-angle problems. After reading this thread, I'd feel totally safe using one in my car and if I run into space problems [Pontiac engine] I just may buy one. I could build one but doing so would be kinda like re-inventing the wheel IMHO...
    A SEMA award is good enough for me.
    Oh, and I won't EVEN be drawn into the moronic too-fat...loose weight bullshit. Sometimes I wonder why people post that kind of crap here on the HAMB...rediculous!

26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Speaking from my 30 + years as a mechanical engineer I see absolutely no problem using a chain. The only requirements I would want are 1) that there are outer semicircular and side guards to prevent the chain from coming off of the sprockets,2) that there be a spring loaded chain tensioner, and 3) that it be a double roller chain of the correct size to handle the torque.

27. gatz

gatz

As an engineer, surely you understand that the side with the spring-loaded tensioner would slacken and allow the tensioner to move within its range of travel when the rotation of the steering shaft/sprocket causes the chain to "tighten" on that side. Thus you'd have the slack to take up before the steering would actually take effect at the rest of the steering mechanism (box or R&P, steering arms, etc)

Reactions at the steering wheel when a tire hits a bump or car movement inducing a feedback motion would also be unequal; one direction would feel like a conventional setup, the opposite would be quite different; taking out the slack first and then the steering wheel moving.

An adjustable, but "fixed" tensioner would remedy that situation; allowing slight adjustment for wear.
    A fixed shaft centerline based on the chain/sprocket combination would be the preferred method. Shaft centerlines for specific chain/sprockets can be found in major mfg's books.

gatz

28. I think I will fabricate one using my old Coast to Coast bicycle chain and sprocket. I think the small sprocket will be attached to steering box and the big sprocket to the steering wheel. This will give the car some real quick steering. I do not believe that I can break a bicycle chain by pulling by hand but I might install re-railers for safety reasons.

29. smittythejunkman

smittythejunkman

My 32 has a chain drop box built by a machinist who owned the car years ago it has no slop as it has an adjustable tensioner shoe on one side. the sides of the machined aluminum box are fit so the chain cannot come off the gears for any reason and the chain and sprockets are large enough to handle the load, it drives perfectly and gives no troubles .
    It gives me plenty of leg room and clears the big engine real nice I wish I could take credit for it but it was that way when i bought it.
    Traditional is important to me but takes a back seat to function and safety
    chain drop steering boxes are sweet

30. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about using the same style of case but eliminate the chain and use only gears? Use a series of meshing gears (also known as spur or straight-cut gears?). An odd number of gears (3,5,7) in series would give you the same direction of rotation at the column and at the steering box. The same size gears throughout would give you a 1:1 ratio. Slide a different sized gear in and you can change the ratio and the steering speed.

I've never seen it done but I don't know why it would not work. It would give you the same result but without the fear of the chain stretching or breaking.