Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nwbhotrod, Aug 30, 2012.

1. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

What the hell someone tell me what and where to get Rubber Gas lines that will hold up this crap thay call Gas

2. Fenders

Fenders

Any NAPA store. Tell them you want line for a late model (EFI) vehicle.
    It's expensive (per foot) but it's made for late model gas !

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Thats what i did guess what paid 6 dollars a foot its crap the inside looks like the Gas had disolved it next please

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I know you said rubber but...
    25' reel of steel fuel line, some fitting, bender, and a double flaring tool.
    Cost me $75 and two hours. I never done it before, but once I double flared I was good. I would never go rubber again. Hope you go steel.

5. Mojo

Mojo

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Installed Gates 3/8" SAE30R7 four years ago, on two cars without issues. Running Chevron or Union76 gas.

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Sounds like you got an inferior product.
    Return it to your local parts store for replacement or refund.

8. Sounds like your NAPA guy sold you $6.00 per foot line but handed you $2.00 per foot line.

9. Like MOJO stated Gates Barricade hose,looked on line for Orielly's and they showed it for about 5-6 bucks for two feet. Last time I looked Dayco hasn't even made any type hose to combat the problem. I would probably use a fuel additive also,like Lucas ethanol fuel conditioner to protect your tank,pump,metal fuel lines and carburetor. Make sure you keep your tank full to cut down on condensation. It's pretty cheap one ounce for every five gallons.

10. I used some aeroquip hose. Expensive is an understatement but 8 yrs no trouble.
    You could use the nylon stuff with the right fittings.
    Doorman has a kit and separate parts. My parts store has a kit and sells whatever you need at the piece price.

11. I agree. The fuel injection line should not have been affected. And you know what type of people they have working in the auto parts stores now.

12. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

One other thing to think about is that there are actually two types of fuel hoses. One is rated for resistance to liquid fuel. One is rated for resistance to fuel vapor. The fuel vapor is actually rougher on the hose, and that type is more expensive.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

aaxeon has some fuel line rated for 400 psi.

I bought some, havent installed it yet, but the guy at the counter said nothing can get at it.

It has printing on it......... 400 psi.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I'm still using some that I bought years ago, just normal Gates fuel hose, not EFI rated or anything. I haven't had any problems with it disintegrating.

are you sure it's not crap in the gas tank?

15. Ha Ha, yea!

There's a few threads about parts jockeys.

I also agree with 31Vic regarding Aeroquip products. I have exclusively used Aeroquip products in my cars when ever it's called for. Although Aeroquip is not cheap (quality never is) I found that Murdock Industrial is the cheapest around, cheaper than Summit on 95% of the Aeroquip products. Here's a link to Murdock's site, check it out for yourself: http://aeroquip.cc/

16. outlaw256

outlaw256

im with squirrel on this one. ive used plain old gates fuel line for yrs and yet to have a problem. yet..........now my cars that sit up more than a couple weeks seem all to have carb problems for awhile..

17. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with others that the regular Gates hose is a very good product, but if you need to replace or install new hose, their Barricade is about the best available, and is replacing old stock in our local parts houses.
    I also use Aeroquip push-on hose and have had no problems with 10% ethonol in my area.

18. outlaw256

outlaw256

well im almost out of 3/8 hose so im gonna ask for barricade when i go pick up more this morning.i buy my hose by the 25ft roll so i hope it aint to damn high.lol

19. low1968

low1968
    from Colorado

Look for the "green stripe" as the call it on the fuel line. This is the new hose made for the new gas!! You can get it from NAPA and O'Reilly.

20. yep, Fenders is on the ball and EFI line is what you want. If you want to get technical that have teflon lined flex line now as well.

21. Teflon is the best way to go these days. Aeroquip sells that too. Oh and for those that think they are "safe" with the stainless braided line, don't be surprised if someday you go out in your garage and smell gas. The internals of the stainless braided line get eaten up as well and will eventually weap. They do last longer but will still break down.

22. Hard line and short stubs for me, check and/or change them out every year. My problem is that I would rather wrench than ride.

23. I guess I should have specified, IF you were just using flex line go with teflon. Yes you are correct Beaner, hard line is always the best way to go. Thanks for pointing that out.

24. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

yes i am sure i flusht out the take

25. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

That the crap i got form NAPA

26. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

This is what I bought the other day at Autozone. Just used it at the places of connections..tank to hardline, hardline to electric fuel pump etc... Ran 5/16 steel tubing for the long run.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  27. Diavolo

Diavolo

So how do you know you have the right line? The teflon coated stuff I use has a clearly visible light blue inner core. It is very obvious by looking at the end of the line and seeing the blue color inside. It has never failed me. It is also high pressure rated for efi. It is also expensive.

28. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I think I'm getting lucky. I've been worried about my rubber line since I read about the problem, but I still haven't had a problem.

Now I'll go out after work and it will be leaking everywhere.......

29. flatout51

flatout51

You're soo cute!!

No Chevy parts on my FORD

30. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Haha! I was going to say "short rubber hose" but didn't want the comments about my tiny penis.