Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Ford Frame Repair Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmdrake, Aug 30, 2012.

1. I'm just starting the rebuild on my 34 Ford Tudor.
    The frame rails are in great condition except for a small bend on the passenger side that I'm in the process of correcting and I'm planning on boxing them.
    When boxing the rails, do I cut the X frame and leave the ends that double up the frame rails inside the boxed area or remove them to protect from rusting issues?

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

the X is there for strength. You need it

3. After boxing I will be building a K frame to replace the X frame.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Box around the x and leave it intact. Fit your boxing plates so that they tuck inside in the double walled area, then your weld bead melds all three pieces.

5. Thanks Thunderbirdesq, Do I need to worry about any rusting issues between the two original pieces?

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This may create a firestorm but if your rails are not rusted through in sections, I'd just straighten them and forget about boxing them. Boxing was done on the earlier Ford frames with no reinforcing from the x member. When Ford went to the longer wheel base in 33 and added the Xmember it became much stronger and boxing was more of a cosmetic thing than a structural thing. My 34 frame is as sock as a rock. Boxing will make it look like a store bought reproduction frame. Fine if you need one but I prefer a gennie. If you are building some kind of blown torque monster to pull the front wheels at every intersection...then never mind.:)

[​IMG]

When I built this one back in the 70s the frame had the complete X frame removed including the double layer up front so I boxed it back to the aftermarket replacement X member. That's it. Basically, just back to the firewall.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. Thanks Tommy for the info,

It looks like I'm going try reworking the existing frame and also try to keep the X frame intact and box it also.
    I think this would help to make my rod unique.

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Definitely do not remove the X,... Some of those frames had rust thru issues if they spent a great deal of time in salt air environments, or were in northern climes, where the roads were liberally caked in salt during the winter. The rust issues were mostly in the rear areas, where the x joined the side rails. Water was easily trapped in there, and it silently rusted away. As stated above, I wouldn't box it.

4TTRUK

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You of course can box it if it makes you feel better, but as Fords got newer the frames started to be very strong as is. The 33-34 is really rigid and , as the guys mentioned, boxing isn't an absolute necessity on them. But overkill never hurt anyone. :)

Don

10. Thanks for the tips.
    I just got it back from sand blasting today and should have some new pictures tomorrow.