Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cowl steering questions for Av8 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Webb, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I just did a search and noticed most all run split bones.I know about the parallel geometry involved.I"m planning on unsplit bones front and rear.Do any see a problem with this setup,thanx Webb.Oh 31 A 4-door merc flathead T-5 trans 46 open banjo.(Slowly)

2. Thought I"d bring this back up,lots of views but no replies.I sent an email to Rolling Bones have"nt heard back either.Anyone have any thoughts on this or just do it to see if it works?Thanx all.

3. Thought I"d offer this up again to see if anyone had any answers or guesses.Thanx.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

As long as you keep the 'bones and the drag link parallel, with mounting points for the wishbone and the pitman arm in relatively the same location vertically, it's going to be about as good as it will get. The geometry involved really doesn't care whether the wishbone is split or not, just were the mounting points are in comparison to the draglink. To do that and keep them parallel is going to take a long pitman arm as it sits. To make it "more correct", where the drag link meets the pitman arm on the same plain as the wishbones would take such a long pitman arm it could never work.

5. Crankhole

Crankhole

Unsplit is how they were intended to be used. Shouldn't be a problem if they clear your oil pan up front and you have a spot under your driveshaft to mount them out back.

6. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

The rear of the drag link needs to be on the same centre as the rear of the 'bones, so as the front suspension moves up and down in an arc around the rear of the bones, the drag link follows the same arc, causing no bump steer.

In practice very few people follow this basic geometrical constraint, and nobody seems to have any great problems with it.

7. jkeesey

jkeesey

The only reason ive seen to run split wishbones on the front of an AV8 is the mount location for the ball socket. On the 4cylinder it mounts to the bottom of the flywheels cover and Im not sure if all that lines up with the V8. I see no reason to split the rear unless your trying for a very low car.

8. Thanx to all the replies.Just trying keep the triangulated suspension front and rear if possable.Louvers I understand your reasoning,if bones angle down to pivot from axel=long pitman= not good.Rear setup with torque arm is what I plan.Thanx again,Webb.

9. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Don't know who you sent the email to but we never got it.

10. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

again never got it email me your questions