Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine ID? Sleeve valve?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideways_403, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Does anyone know what this engine is? It's been sitting under a tree on the farm since forever. The weird design leads me to the conclusion that it's sleeve valve?!? I can't find anything that looks anything like it. Years ago granddad said what it was, I will ask him again when I see him next.

Thanks

Hayden

*Solved* See post 26 on page 2. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. George

George

Sleeve valve Willys-Knight?

3. That's what I first thought but from the crap pictures I've found on the internet, it doesn't look like it. It would of had the same "cover" on the head though.

Thanks

Hayden

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Knight was the guy that designed the engine. It was used by at least 2 manufacturers maybe more? There was also a Stearns Knight.

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

Burt-McCollum was the other type of sleeve valve engine design.If you Google sleeve valve there's hours of reading them.

6. It is a Knight engine, they were also used in Federal trucks in mid '20's.

7. 1952henry

1952henry

Is your avatar picturing a locomotive engine?

I was fortunate to see a complete cylinder/piston/valve assembly from a Willys at an old-time engine rebuilder's shop once. Pretty neat item.

8. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Dont know what it is, but I bet that tree helped take the motor out of whatever it was in

9. Wikipedia lists 9 makes of car the engine featured in. I am certain there was more though, I think Peugeot used a Knight engine at some stage?

I have spent many a night staying up to the wee hours of the morning searching sleeve valve engines, I really like the "oddball" engine designs! :D

Yes, it would seem to be, it doesn't have the lump you would expect from a Burt-McCollum engine. The million dollar question is.... What did it come from? :D

My avatar is a Napier Cub engine, an experimental aeroplane engine. As I said, wierd old engines interest me! :D

Seeing the valve ect assembly would be cool, precision engineering from the 1920s. :cool:

Lol probably, it's a big tree now but I'd bet it wasn't half as big when the engine was put there!

So what do you reckon guys, should I try and move the engine? I'd like to take it back home and pull it apart but I'm not sure the crank case will survive any force what so ever? I'l certainly be getting a ton more pictures of it tomorrow!

I'm sorry for this being a bit off topic, it is however an interesting old engine and I need your help!

Thanks

Hayden

10. jetmek

jetmek

an old automotive encyclopedia i have shows a cutaway veiw of the stearns knight engine looks just like your pic. they were also popular in european cars..daimler, pugeot and minerva used knight engines

11. Zerk

Zerk

Voison made sleeve-valves too. Probably not many, though.

12. The Dykes automotive encyclopaedia? I found that engine in my copy of that book, It's pretty close, not the same though, if you can, could you post pictures?

Given how many cars Voison made, I'd say there weren't many sleeve valve ones! :D

Thanks

Hayden

13. jetmek

jetmek

yes thats the one heres a pic from the ICS textbook [​IMG]

14. Thanks mate!

Hayden

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Anyone interested in the Knight design REALLY needs to make the migration to Hershey someday...even those of you who need to swim a bit.
    There is a tent housing the Knight club, and within is an original dealer-demo cutaway slice of an engine allowing you to turn it over by crank and watch all the hardware moving.
    It will be perfectly clear then that we are looking here at alien technology, obviously brought here from some planet other than the one inhabited by Henry Ford...

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

17. oj

oj

Federal truck? Whats' that?

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

Or do a google search :)

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There ain't no substitute for turning that crank yourself, watching the strnage happening live and hearing the odd little gorping sounds of the oil film...I visit the thing every year.
    Hmmmm...hot rodding...just need a rattail file to change post timing....

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow the k.i.s.s. principle wasnt followed there , to many moving parts , but i dig odd engines so it is interesting ,

21. Sorry guys, dunno how I missed all this, I guess I'm just special.

At the Whiteman park car Museum in Perth there's a sleeve valve engine like that, all cut away and you crank it over, I don't think it was a dealer demo one though. They've also got a Model T engine that's all cut away, I remember turning that T engine over when I was about 3, it's been there since forever. There's some really cool stuff there.

As the sleeve valve engine on the farm, I'd really like to take it home but I'm afraid the crankcase will just collapse. Do you think I should have a go at moving it?

Thanks

Hayden

22. Whippet also ran sleeve valves

23. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Supposidly they went through a lot of oil. Making the quiet operation and long maint interval questionable in light of the need to top up the crankcase so often.

24. Manche

Manche

damn, If some pt me in charge of designing an automotive engine, I'd go single sleeve valve per cylinder like in this one:

No valve float, no super hot engine parts causing self detonation which is great because you can compress a crappy full a lot and give a bonus of efficiency and power

[​IMG]

25. Stutz also had a sleeve valve engine in certain models say SV-32

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe that the Super Marine Sea Fury fighter aircraft. Successer to the Spitfire and very fast Reno racer had a large sleeve valve engine. I could look it up. Or I guess anybody can Google these things today.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here it is. 3270 cubic inches. Fastest single piston aircraft in production. Sleeve valves rule.

Attached Files:

28. Okay guys, I talked to Les(my great uncle) about it, he said it was a Willys.

He said he pulled the motor and gearbox about 50 years ago, the gearbox is in a shed and appears to be in good condition. He kept on saying "I should've put the motor in the shed". I agree with him!

He said it ran when he pulled it out and put it there, apparently it was a very sweet runner but the car was well past its prime. :)

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There is a bit on the late war/early postwar sleeve valve fighter engines in the late editions of Ricardo's work. I think Sir Harry decided that the poppet valve had reached its limits about then...

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't see the sleve valves at all, is it the two small things In the side of the crank housing?

The only sleve valve engine I ever saw, was a Yamaha 50cm3 2stroke bike engine. They put the sleve In between the carb and the crankcase, to make a more control of timming. Worked like a charm, but desapired after a couple of years.

I always had a hard-on for Odd-ball engineering. Nice find, it would be so cool to take it apart, so we could see the internal marvels.