Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

THANK'S Speedwrench, I'll try both names and see what happens......Rich

2. Buildy

Buildy

Speedwrench,

Thanks, I just wanted to pin down that it was or wasn`t the same Builder. I know Kinser`s car was nothing similar to the one Rich has.

Although Steve did drive pre Outlaws,not sure what car he started out in.

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Buildy - the first car I remember seeing Steve drive was a white number 1 Trostle springer but I can't think of the owner's name. It might have been Thompson.

I'm thinking this was in the 1975/6 time frame.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. baldtireman

baldtireman

The Brewer 4 bar Stapp is in my posession!!:D

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I know that now John!!!! Glad I was able to find those pics for ya.......Rich

6. jimg12

jimg12

Speedwrench, the first car I remember Steve driving was owned by Thompson but was a Jack French? car. He built good dirt cars but later built some real good pavement cars. Steve could drive that car more backwards than any car I ever saw. Thompson went on to be one of the best wing builders around. I think he is still living. He was at one time an offical of UMRA TQ's, in the early 60's. Jim

7. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

....Their father Ben Cook was a first classs builder. I think they got their skills honestly.

8. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Its good to have friends in high places.

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I have a BIG box of pictures from Lawrenceburg from this era.. I'll look through them this weekend.

J Shaw

10. racer5c

racer5c

forwarded this pic to my step Dad John Capels, he told me he drove that car one time at Reading, said it was a really well built car but had engine problems when he drove it, he said the "kids" that built it couldn't get in the pits

11. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

I had the boys build my first frame off a set of Watson's plans only out of 1-1/4 x .095. My theory was Edmonds built the Cheeta out of the same stuff, ought to work for me!!! When I crashed it, it waaded up like a cork screw but didn't break. I tried to get Henry Myer to straighten it for me, he said forget it, just build a new one. I guess I made one of the first "throw away" frames. I became long time friends of the Cooks and Ol Has Ben was a hoot to be around. The old farts music was Pink Floyd. One of the good guys that will always be missed.

12. jimg12

jimg12

After thing a lot, I think the Thompson car that Steve first drove was a Shores car. Jim

13. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Blackie, Josh just sent me these picture and was wondering if you might have the original artwork...............

Attached Files:

14. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I actually did that art, but the original is long gone (if not I have no idea where it is or who has it). However it was used as a coloring book picture in one of our programs and I may have one of those in my archives. If so I'll scan it.

My son, BZNeil, has a box of photos from the 'burg and will look and see what is in there on the 14 Brewer car. He may have some old programs as well.

Carroll Hamilton
    DBA Blacki Suede

15. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thank's Blackie-suede, Josh sent me those and another picture he found. Anything will be GREATLY APPRECIATED....................Rich

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

My Brewer Stapp car has John Sharpe listed as the driver....:p

17. baldtireman

baldtireman

The only way I get high is when I run over a wheel!:eek:

18. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Al, Lauren Gundlach Besecker,asked me to pass the word to you that they say HELLO!!!!!!.She's a member of the sprint car group that I started on Facebook..............Rich

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Filmed in Concord, CA track scenes at Contra Costa Motorway (Pacheco) which closed in 1960 to make way for a freeway. (intersection of the 680 and 4)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  21. HurstBros0

HurstBros0
    from Salem In.

Jerry is to the far left and his father Pete is standing next to him... Don`t know the other cats ... J.L. lives on the Brewer`s Garage home place and is in the Brownstown In. phone book since he is a county commisioner... Ron Dorsett still lives in Mitchell In. and should be able to square you away about when he welded up your machine... Denny Mitchell later paired with Carl Kinser to build some pretty good old cars...

22. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thanks for the info, I've tried contacting JL, 3 or 4weeks ago and have gotten no return calls or email.................Rich

23. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Lauen is a cool chick...:) Tell her I said hello to her and Kevin, and I hope the boys are doing well......I don't do Facebook because I have enough distractions in my life.:D

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Al, Pretty bad movie, but great footage, even the bad dialog was entertaining, made for an interesting long lunch. Thanks.

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

This movie is listed in the 'Cult Classics' category for that very reason.

26. baldtireman

baldtireman

;) A couple of friends have asked me if I know of anyone interested in an ALUMINUM 215 cube Buick, and a 260 cube Fairlane (FORD). ??? John S.:p

27. HurstBros0

HurstBros0
    from Salem In.

Jerry Shields...

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

PARTS HUNT!!!

Okay fella's.. Here's a TUFF one.

We DESPERATLY need another one of these EARLY 3 way Fuel regulator valves. ANYTHING close would help. This one is off the LOCKHART CAR so we can't steel it...

Thanks!

Lobitz... Anything?

Thanks guys,
    J Shaw

Attached Files:

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Over thirty cars ran at Norton last weekend.

Here's the track and grandstand at Hamilton County this weekend. Picture from last year Friday after running. prepping the track for Saturday.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attached Files:

30. BZNEIL

BZNEIL