Register now to get rid of these ads!

1965 Pontiac 421 2+2 , survivor vs "make it run"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daschaefer, Aug 28, 2012.

1. figure out what a engine rebuild would cost and add all the other parts that it would take to get it running and price it that way. getting it running just widens the market. just add in the labor also. Get it documented by PHS, always worth more with a PEDEGREE!

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Use the 455 and send me the 421. You wouldn't like the 421 anyway.

3. carbking

carbking

My guess would be that you could get it running with the 455, and then sell the car for just about half what you could have sold it for if you sold it as is; but look at the experience you would miss. :p

If your friend has money to give away, as he would be doing by installing the 455; there are lots of worthwhile charities. ;)

LEAVE IT ALONE, OR FIX THE 421!

My opinion (you asked) but your choice.

Jon.

4. I'd have to dig through all my old '65 paperwork but if I remember correctly the '65 2+2 was almost as fast as a '65 GTO in the 1/4 mile. That means a 2+2 is no slouch considering it weighs 1000 or more pounds than a GTO.

5. carbking

carbking

The 3-speed WAS available. I just copied off the pages in the Pontiac sales manual, but cannot post them tonight. Our ISP website host just changed security settings and I won't be able to access the site and post until I talk to them.

Jon.

6. Yep
    HD 3spd was the standard trans in the 2+2 option.
    Hit the 2+2 box you got a 3 sod unless you took the up charge for something else

7. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

3 Spds were available and they were ford sourced. My '67 GTO I once had was a factory ford 3spd car.

The rarity and condition of that car leaves you no other sensible choice but to put it back as original. Pontiacs have been going up in price and rare ones like that 2+2 will bea easy to sell.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Ahh, another memory. Just getting ready to get my D/L at 16yrs old. Found a nice '65 2+2, 421, 4-speed. Gold, black top, $500. I wasn't nuts about big boat, but it WAS a 4-speed. Mom put the nix on it. No 4 gear for a rookie pilot. (damn!). She probably saved my life...:eek:

Definitely, save it and keep the 421, cool cars!

9. slammed

slammed

X's 2! Gauge the market for an 'as is' value vs a rebuilt engine/brake system/fuel system ect. It should be restored for sure.

10. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Awesome car....

11. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

please dont screw it up. if u want to sell it contact the pontiac club ,they will beat your doors down to get it

12. daschaefer

daschaefer

Thanks to ALL,,,, This sure confirms what I was feeling about leaving it alone,,,,

but I still like what FTS55 said "put a BBC and powerglide in it" in fact I think theres enough room to fit two BBC's in this beast.

Look for a detailed add posted soon with more 2+2 details in the classifieds.

13. What is "all this work" to putting a 455 in it? Same block, same mounts, manifolds will bolt up, original trans will bolt to it, original distributor will go into it so you could run the original wiring, once it's in most people won't know the difference. I can't imagine an easier engine swap that's not an exact replacement.

Even if it's a T/A F-body block with the different mount positioning, the block could have holes for both positions, and if it doesn't, it has the pads and could be drilled and tapped for them - that could be considered a lot of work, I suppose.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Please don’t modify anything
    Iris Mist (one year color) stick 421 2+2 ?
    Probably only a handful ever made.

15. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

The cost of rebuilding the 421 would be offset by the suitcase full of cash that this car could be worth to the right person.

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

So where is it, and how much as-is, before it gets boogered up? As in don't do anything to it- please...
    It would look good sitting next to my 428 'Bird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. swe64

swe64

in the books 3-speed hd called synkcramesh 10spline input shaft
    so it could be ford used it to

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have that same transmission in my 27 and have abused it for over 20 years. It is one tough 3 speed.

The 63 Grand Prix my buddy had was a 421 HO tripower. His Dad owned a Cadillac, Pontiac dealership and every other year my friend got a brand new car. In 63 he got the GP. It was a screamer and he won a few trophies at the strip and won a lot of street races too. People were surprised how quick a "luxury" car could be.

Pontiacs of that era were just great cars.

Don

19. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, make the car happy.... Throw the 421 back in there..;)

20. carbking

carbking

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Well, that's one way to look at it. BUT, if it is in fact the 'born with' 421 that came with the car, it'd be a travisty to use something else just for the sake of "dusting", IMO. Then again, I don't know the owners intentions, or the in's & out's of the Pontiac camp as far as what sells & what doesn't. I'd sure think originality would be a factor in the plus coloum, $$ wise. Not too many of those old boats left, let alone somewhat intact.

22. I'd put the damn thing in my garage! :D

How much???

23. I was definitely wrong about the availability of the three speed. I just took a quick look at the first couple of websites I saw.
    It will be interesting to see what happens to this car. It would be quite an attention getter, all stock.

~Alden

24. tunes

tunes

What a beautful car! I'm not into the full size cars, but I'd love to have that one. It definitly needs to be restored to it's orignal condition and as had been stated earlier in this thread, there can't have been many of those built with that color, engine and transmission.

25. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

So, are you going to provide a location and price?

26. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Here's one of those monsters[​IMG]

27. phat rat

phat rat

I know the usual "no pics it didn't happen" but I was out bike riding today without a camera and saw a very rare 2+2. A beautifully restored Canadian 69 convert 2+2 with a 427 auto, deep green, white interior and top. It was parked with the owner nowhere around. So no other deatails

28. Originally Posted by Jeff K. [​IMG]
    You guys would be surprised at what one of these cars will actually bring in.. There's a beautiful 63 4 speed GP near me and the guy can't get 10 grand out of it...

I'd install the 455, paint it Robbins Egg Blue with stock steel valve covers, defiantly use the Quadrajet intake and carb. I'd rebuild it using Cliffs book and parts.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

That 421 is nothing special. It's a small valve, two bolt main motor. The only difference between it and the garden variety 389 is the four inch stroke crank with 3-1/4" mains. Actually, the 389 is better with it's 3" mains. A stock 67-74 400 cube motor with Quadrajet intake and carb would dust the stock 421.. Were not talking 421 Super Duty here but even then, a healthy, stockish, 74 down 455 would dust that..

Put the 455 in it and have fun...

I agree 100% No work dropping the 455 in it. It will make more power and have more torque. Save the engine for when the car is ready to sell. This way, the original engine will not get miles put on it and you could drive the crap out of it. My Stock built 400 propells my 3810 lb Firebird down the 1/4 in 12.5s on pump gas and has so much low end torque it will fry the Mickey Thompson ET Drag radials even at 25 mph. I love Pontiac torque. The engine swap is simple and if the 455 is running good, drop it in.

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Sounds like one my friends father had when I was a kid, but his had a black interior...cragers , skirts loved riding in that with the top down!

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can save both you and your buddy a lot of time, suffering, and the expense of rebuilding the 421 and trans. Just PM me with a price for the machine as it sits.