Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 3W Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RustyTub27, Aug 28, 2012.

1. RustyTub27

RustyTub27
    from Redmond OR

I will try and keep this short, if you would like to know more about my intro thread is here

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724982

So I loaned my car trailer to a buddy to haul scrap iron off his father inlaws ranch in northern CA. When he got home he sent me the following pictures via Email. Asking what the body was he found it laying on its side and the property owner told him to just haul it away. Well he was hoping to sell it to be able to have a couple bucks towards a new to him older 3/4 ton work truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So After talking to a couple local guys we think it is a dodge brothers, I thought about it for awhile I had yet to pull the trigger there it is sitting on MY trailer a couple hundred miles away. And my trailer was making the trip back to my place in two days. My Wife looked at the picture and all she said was "That would look cool all done" That was close enough to and OK for me. Made the phone call and two days later it showed up!!!

Well the local guys cruise there rods to a local drive in on fridays and the coupe showed up on friday after work...... So we left it on the trailer and drove it to the cruise in! was alot of fun and got some part leads.

the more I looked at it the further lost I got not knowing where to start.

Well my buddy sent me a pic of what the shell looked like after he uprighted it

[​IMG]

Well a few days pass, I did nothing but stare at this body and have a beer after work. Well A friend came over and we laid out a road map. here is what I am thinking....

Light chop on the lid, replacing the B piller on the left side. replacing the corner of the roof on the back of the right side. replace the side of the roof on the left side. then line the body back up, The roof is going to have to be removed to pull the body back in shape. years of laying on its side took its toll. going to give my hand at building a traditional east coast Hot Rod. So now with some wind under me and a clear since of direction I got the body off the floor on a make shift furniture dolly so I can move it around. first goal is to lightly wire wheel the whole car then DA the car where there is usable steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I only get about an hour a night most of the time, (I can't take time away from my kids) Although my son who is 4 always asks if I have fixed HIS Hot Rod yet!

So Iam pretty sure it is a Dodge Brothers although I could be wrong, I found a body number and what was left of the ID tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having a rough Idea of the year would be great. So please let me know what ya think slam away.

Oh and yes my Son 4 and daughter 20months ripped out the chalk and had some fun, the Deck Lid made a great canvas!!

2. Perfect car for your future pinstripers to practice on. I like that car, it will definitely be different. Build it and have fun.

3. pitman

pitman

Rusty,
    In looking over the top two images, and your mention of an "East-coast" build.
    I thought about slight 'Zee-ed' frame, a 'C' over the rear axle notch, all with no chop. East coast as lowered, recall? You have a nice looking floor in this one, obviously the body was saved because of its fine condition, it would be a significant cutting up, if one was to channel it and lose the floor.
    I was swayed toward no-chop, by the door window frame and the windshield proportions. The body is a standout simply as a rod, cut-up or not.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. Midget25

Midget25

What a score, good job, when I lend my trailerout all I get back is a damaged trailer.

5. InkSlingnRatFink

InkSlingnRatFink
    from Garner NC

Hahaha isn that the truth!

6. Judging by the reveal and the lack of rumble seat and going by the pics in my Dodge book it is going to be a 28/29 coupe.

7. pitman

pitman

Leave it to P-n-B!

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Dunno, don't care - build it as a rod and have some fun

9. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Very interesting, keep us posted.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That firewall difinitely says DODGE to me.

11. RustyTub27

RustyTub27
    from Redmond OR

I am always going back and forth with a chop, some days I want to chop it other I do not. The proportions of the body do look good right now, but either way the top has to come off. It has started to come apart at the belt line and it leaning badly to the left.

I only loan my trailer to one person, if anybody else to to move something or a car they borrow me and my trailer! When I bought my trailer the fenders had no dents and all the marker lights worked. Now I have the history of a friend how hauled firewood with it and decided to use the fenders to split a couple cords of wood on.

P-n-B is there any specific photos that would help identify the year? 28/29 is close enough for me though.

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

There's another 3W build on here somewhere, a Pontiac. This one is just as cool.. I never thought there would be more 3W coupes from before the deuce came along. Subscribing.

13. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dodger31 may know. Dont chop it is my vote.