Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Prepping for 5016 miles - 17 DAY ROAD TRIP: NorCal to Indy Goodguys in a '58 T-Bird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Aug 15, 2012.

1. GrouchySS

GrouchySS

Kirk cant wait too see you guys in lincoln at speedway motors. I only live 5 blocks from speedway if you guys need any thing let ne know. Frank

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, I'll have the T-Bird on the lift at work all weekend. I'm hoping to get everything done this weekend!

3. Born a HotRodGal

Born a HotRodGal

It's gonna be. Great trip, we are ready to go now!! And don't worry Andy doesn't drive as fast as he used to, He will be celebrating his 80th birthday on this trip.
    See ya on the road
    Terri & Darryl

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm stoked you guys are going.

5. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Terri great to hear you and hubby are coming.Maybe get a chance to met you two.What a great memory you will have with your Dad.I don't think my car wull be running but will probally be a passenger in my old Airflow that a friend now owns.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, spent all weekend on the T-Bird.

Finished the shocks, heavy-duty sway bar, Electric fuel pump, re-routed the fuel line, relocated the fuel filter, installed the iPod-only stereo, installed 2 of the 4 speakers, modified the seat so I can move it back more, rewired a few things that were hokey, installed two 12V outlets, new hubcaps, new valve covers, changed the oil, change the coolant, insulated/sound-deadened the center console, and more I can't remember.

Still more to do this week!

7. Hey Kirk, if you guys come up I44 and need anything around Springfield MO give me a holler. Gary has my number.
    Later,
    Dick

8. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

make sure the AAA membership is platinum and bring your cousins too...

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Subscribed. Very cool.

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

UGH! Got the whole console put back together and I think the amp has a bad ground - lots of engine noise. Off it comes. Glad I hadn't put the seats back in yet.

Looks like tomorrow night is wiring night. Amp/iPod player, headlights and check the dull taillights.

One week until this.......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  11. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

nice got that needle pegged on 95 !! crank up the jams & let it rip !! have a safe trip lookin' forward to your updates ,i can see a hitchhiker story comin' !

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

UGH! Got a flat yesterday on the way to Ole's to see Henry for the master carb tuning. Not a good omen for the trip. Or maybe I got my flat out of the way. The spare was flat and the stock jack was shit, so I guess it was good to find that shit out.

Spent today getting more stuff dialed in. Because I'm out of time, I'm going to take it into Big-O tomorrow to get the rear shocks put in, the wheel bearings packed, the brakes checked and just a general safety inspection.

I did also get my club plaque mounted...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Couldn't sleep last night worrying about this trip. Nowhere near 100% positive the car will make it the whole way.

Still have a few things to do and Big-O is dragging their feet.

Hopefully if the 'Bird gives up on the way it will near a HAMBer with storage space.

14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

If your flat tire has you worrying....my dead battery today is doing the same for me

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

More than the flat. Suspension issues, carb linkage issues and unknowns of a new (to me) car.

16. When are you leaving? Damned good thing you got that car club plaque mounted. Enjoy this trip. Got to be a blast.
    Later,
    Dick

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ha ha! It should help.

We leave Wednesday morning.

18. kirk i wish i was going sounds like a great trip!and look at this way you could be sitting in your office wisshing you were going or you can sit in the drivers seat and strees out for 5,000 miles and later talk about how epic it was!

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I dig your new ride -- what a great road trip car!
    Have a safe trip. I'll roll down to Speedway next Monday to meet up with you guys.

Malcolm

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Whether the car makes it or not it will be epic. One of the great things about being in my position is that more people are more likely to let me jump in with them if the car strands me.

No matter what I'll be making the trip start to finish. I'd just be more stoked if it was in my own ride. If I'd had one more month I could have worked out the bugs. Famous last words I guess.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Cool!

22. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Don't worry you have 5000 miles to work out the bugs.I was talking to a friend of mine about this trip.He remember driving from Ohio to Florida in the early sixties with recap tires.In 1963 you would have not even thought twice about driving the car to Indy.Good Luck on the trip and hope everything goes well.You are lucky your car is new enough parts won't be a problem if you need anything.

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

im so jealous!!!! we are just takin a 400 mile round trip in a ot67 fresh up impala thursday and im so nervous you couldnt pound a 10 p nail in my ass with a sledge hammer!! good luck. i know you will have life time full of memories after this little ride!

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Great points.

Still nervous, just got back to the office from Big-O. They did NOTHING yesterday while waiting on the shocks. They didn't check the wheel bearings or adjust the brakes yet. Why would you not do that stuff while waiting on the shocks. Now I go in this morning and they're acting like I'm asking for the world to have my car back by lunch today. They definitely don't seem to get that they had the car ALL DAY yesterday and could have completed all of the work and then just popped the shocks on when they arrived. Now when they dig into the bearings they'll have to order and wait for them.

Had I know this would happen I'd have just taken a half day yesterday and done it myself....UGH!

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wouldn't let Big O work on my bicycle.

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

I agree, but they are close to work and I'm out of time. STRESSED!

27. GARY?

GARY?

Sucks to have others blowin' it for you. Especially when you'r payin' them.

Hang in there. Things will sweetin' up soon. miles, friends, kittens, ...

28. generally in the big tire chains it's all about volume of work. Tying up a rack while waiting for other parts is a big no no. I'm not surprised they haven't worked on it yet.....

29. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

Sounds like a blast. I took my 49 chevy 1/2 truck on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year from Dallas to Detroit, and back to Dallas Tx. Had lots of fun, no problems. Wish I could have gotten paid too! Must be nice. Enjoy.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, that's logical, but no less frustrating the day before I leave.