Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spotlights? Why exactly do we run 'em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

Had my son-in-law check statutes on spot lights and blue dot tail lights. Spot lights are off the board, no law on it at all. blue dots are now legal on street rods and customs as of aug. 28th 2011. Son-in-law is radio operator for the blue coats. I'm going to put blue dots and real spot lights on and look that #*^$$& up. thanks for the heads up.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Personally I've never been is a situation when "Gee, I wish I had a spotlight!" occured in anything I was driving. Twin spots are a lot of ugliness for something that is unneeded IMO. Bob

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We ran them back in the 60's and early 70's to hunt jackrabbits. There were some winters that you could get a buck twenty five for a rabbit hide. That paid for a quarter tank of gas.....

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You aim the spotlight toward the rear to blind the cop that's chasing you.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yeah, but if you had someone riding shotgun, they could help with the search or help you stay on the road while you kept two hands on the wheel! Two rear view mirrors look better than one, right? So why not lights? Gary

6. Deuces

Deuces

Unbelievable...:rolleyes:

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ditto!

8. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Funny this thread came back up. I was working on my 54 chevy pickup the other day and noticed while under the dash some plastic filler in the cowl from the inside. So I took the wire wheel and dug it out. To my surprise it was cut out for a spot light. I may put one back on there. I was offered one off of a patrol car from the early 70s awhile back. I wohld actually ise it.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

same with my 51 AD except that lead was used to fill the hole instead of plastic filler. Drivers side only, so I already bought a Unity so my truck can have a spotlight again.

10. I've never been a fan of spots. Ever since I was a kid I could never understand the reason for having them. I've always been a fan of simple lines and less clutter.

I've removed the spot from my most recent project (originally installed on the car new in 1948) because I prefer the cleaner look. I've had many people tell me it was a mistake and that I should put it back on, but it's just not the look I'm going for. Who cares if "they all did it" back then, or not.

11. Yea if you can't outrun him dont try it in the first place. ;)

12. I used to get the same thing all the time I have a 47 Chev that had a functional single on the drivers side...got so tired of everyone, literally everyone everywhere from a car show to the grocery store, asking if it was an old cop car that I took it off and gave it to an artist friend to turn into a functional artifact...still have the holes in the A-pillar but no more stupid questions

13. Well did it? I mean hell a police interceptor would make a cool hot rod. ;)

14. Yeah I can't imagine why anyone on a site dedicated to "how they all did it back then" would care?:rolleyes:

15. To be different..... just like everyone else.

16. I think you need to look at post #108.I mean.....that is if you can see past all the clutter on those cars.It is pretty hard to see the clean lines of those cars..........them damn spotlights.

17. Yeah... They (the spotlights) still don't look that good to me. I'm happier without mine.

18. I guess I was trying to say that if we had a list of "things you must do to your traditional hot rods and customs", then all cars would look the same. Black primer and red wheels, anyone?

Just becasue they did it back then, doesn't mean that everyone did it back then.

Not liking spotlights is, of course, just my personal opinion.

I also have a vintage spotlight for sale :rolleyes:

19. Well I hope yoyu are not going to get your panties in a bunch like someone else did earlier when I pointed this out but here goes anyway.

We care if they all did it back then. The primary focus on this site is what was done, possibly why and how it may be duplicated either with original parts and processes or by newer methods to achieve the same results.

OK that was the hard way to say this:

The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That’s right – TRADITIONAL. (Ryan Cochran)

Yea but the question was not should we all run spots on our cars but why was it or is it done. It was even suggested to jive bomber by more than one of us that he not run them on his car.

20. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Is this still being discussed???? Geeeez... traditional kustom cars anyone?
    Hello!! Anyone out there?

And yes... I'm tired and on my way to bed... :D

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary
    for those who don't understand, no explanation is possible

:cool:

Jivebomber.
    You actually already knew this. Yes, she will be naked without them... :D :D :D
    BTW. Really looking forward to see how your already beautiful car will be even nicer with the chop.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  21. A Boner

A Boner

If you run a flathead, they come in real handy if you have to make a roadside repair at night!

22. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

Why do we run spots??? Well when I was a kid in the mid 1950s I thought spots were for shining a light on the drive-in screen when the show was getting ready to start!!! Now I'm in my mid 60s and my 48 Packard has 2 spots and my 55 Packard has one. Most kids think they are cool when I show them how they work. I would not install spots on any of my other cars.Ter409

23. squirrel

squirrel

around here they have cameras, and send you a ticket in the mail if you run a stoplight.

oh. Spotlight. Nevermind.

24. J.B. you summed it all up when you posted the Harley Davidson quote.I mean that says it all right there,along with the Thriftys picture.

25. Retrorod

Retrorod

I will always remember drawing straws in my Dads' custom 1954 DeSoto to see who would get to use the spot lights during intermission at the drive-in. I have four brothers...there were only two spot lights.

My Dad would just slip out, sit on the back bumper to smoke a cigar while we punished the battery with the lites!!

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

27. radgirl

radgirl

Love your analogy. The best car conversations are the ones that involve phallic symbols.

28. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

When I first put my 55 F100 on the road I got a short in the headlights. = No lights.

I drove home with the spot light! Only time that I have ever used it.
    At acar shows, I am asked if they really work, some people seem to like them.

29. No panty-bunching going on here :D

I understand what the HAMB is and what it represents and why we are all here. I'm just saying that there is no rule book that everyone has to follow to build their car. Some like to build xactly how they would back then and others are inspired by the spirit of the era (to a degree). both are spreading the gospel of the HAMB.

I'm not saying "don't run them", but I'm just stating my opinion that I will not be pressured to use them becasue that's what everyone else did back then.

It still never really explains "why" spotlights were even ever put on cars back then. I never understood the reason for them and I'm just plain not a fan of them. I just never was.

Now I'm really going to hang myself here, but I've also never been a fan of the Carson-style top :eek: If you like 'em then cool. Good for you and I know they are traditional, but dude... They are just not for me and nobody can make me do it because "that's what everyone did back then".

I'm sure most people still had personal opinions back then too :p

30. Model T1

Model T1

I had other reasons to say I like and run Dummy spots. But I'll just go with this!