Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new daily driver!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by STRANGER_DANGER, Aug 20, 2012.

1. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Here's a link to my intro if you wanna know a little bit more about me... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8083584#post8083584

Well here she is, 1950 DeSoto Custom coupe i wouldn't exactly call this a "BUILD" thread, but i will definitely keep it updated with any work i do on the car whether it be maintenance, repairs, or upgrades. (i'll leave the oil changes out, i think most of you can handle those) really excited to have a nice old ride! its gonna be fun to make her "our" car (my lady and i) so this small project will have to do until after the 1st of the year when hopefully i will be in the market for a nice old truck!

she will be my daily driver to and from work and running around town. still working on some of the hiccups from sitting for 4 years. but nothing too bad. minor carb and some charging issues.

Attached Files:

2. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I'd drive that!

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome ! Congrats

4. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Thanks guys! she is a beaut! and a blast from the past to drive. the fluid drive transmission as a trip as well!

5. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I had a baby blue one in high school in about '02. Was the only cool car in the parking lot. Yours looks awesome!

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Congrats

7. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

that is rad! in high school i was driving a 1986 chevy nova! aka toyota carolla! i paid 400 bucks for it, drove it into the ground, eventually gave it to a friend who was in need of a car, who drove it till the brakes didn't work any more (god forbid we fix them!), and he gave to it to a friend that set it on fire... ah, the stupid things we do!

8. Funny I have two one was grandmas and one is a vert I inherited from my brother. I went bumper to bumper on grandmas and cannot wait to get to the convert.
    They are easy to ride of sure if you need any stories suggestions or sympathy pm me

Poverty leaves an impression

9. I love everything about your desoto!!!

Definitely is a beauty

10. That's one awesome DD!

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

which transmission is behind your fluid drive unit?? The three speed or the tip toe semi auto?

12. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

nice to see another santa rosa native to come around, i cant wait to see the thing around town

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DNow lets see.What did that old commercial say??????????????????Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah."Its Delightful.Its Delovely.Its Desoto".Yeah,Thats it.
    Enjoy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

15. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

tip toe shift semi auto.

16. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

wow! thats a pretty amazing story already! haha that vert is gonna be AWESOME! i'd love to see grandmas old car too! are you still running the 6 volt in grandmas car or have you upgraded at all? im considering upgrading... input?

Thanks for all your nice words fellas. i really appreciate it!

17. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

You will definitely see this thing cruising around! been driving it everyday for the past week so far. what are you cruising around town? feel free to flag me down if you do see me driving around, its nice to meet more locals.

18. outlaw256

outlaw256

OH MAN i like that!!!!

19. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

here come a bunch of photos of some progress we have been making on the car, stay tuned for about the next 30 mins... i got a ton of photos to upload.

20. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

so the weekend before last i had the carb apart to clean it out and check the float setting and so on to hopefully fix some rough running issues upon acceleration, got the carb all clean and back together without missing a thing (so i thought)...

(i was doing this without any kind of service manual by the way because i was waiting on it in the mail and didn't have much else to refer to at the time)

so i got the carb back in the car made all my adjustments and the problem was WORSE! so i think back to the only step that i could have possibly missed something and at the bottom of the carb cleaning can i found a check ball! long story short, underneath a plug on the accelerator pump the is a check ball waaay down at the bottom, and without it you don't get a spray of fuel right off idle... so i got it all back together and now she PURRS!

Attached Files:

21. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

so the next order of business was the DREADFUL interior... i am a little embarrassed but i will go ahead and upload some before pictures...

BEFORE:

Attached Files:

22. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

obviously that interior had to GO! i would rather drive around with a bare gutted interior than that awful flowery stuff (sorry to the previous owner, just not our style)

so here are some photos of the weekend! we (my lady and i) made waaay more progress than we expected.

Attached Files:

23. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Interior progress Continued...

Attached Files:

24. That SOB is just just plain cool !!!!

25. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

Well its been quite a while since i've been on here. sorry about the sudden lack of updates.

The Desoto has been treating me VERY WELL! :-D we left off with the interior being gutted and we got that all finished up and i am very happy with the results especially for our first time doing any interior work and MY first time in front of a sewing machine!

pics to follow...