Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy, lower springs/over the counter??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Aug 28, 2012.

1. hey guys, I need some front springs for the 54 . Ive been running stock springs that i cut for some time now. I want to ask if anyone has cross referenced spec off a 54 chevy and tried to find a 3 inch drop spring from another application . I know jamco makes some .. but im asking if someone has found a spring that fits and drops 3 inches . thanks .

2. old school parts guys/ guys who have books ?? or lets start with original spring spec and go from there ??

3. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

wish i could help but wondering the same thing. gonna be lowering my 54 soon & would rather not cut old saggy springs. will probably go jamco route but wouldnt mind saving couple bucks on otc springs.

4. That's what I'm talking about... And I don't wanna order and have to wait a long time... Any part guy heros

5. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

dont know about 54 but 55 will interchange with camaros up to 81 & i think chevelles from 66 to 72 ----now if you can find out if 54s &55s are the same you may have some to choose from ---hope this helps -----John

6. lowrd

lowrd

Check the site for Eaton Spring, I believe you can obtain the specs through them and then cross reference. Hope it helps

7. ok so stock spring for 1954 : moog 639 . need specs on this .. then figure out what spring i need to use to drop 3inch without cutting .

8. ok moog 639
    inside dia 3.22
    bar dia .593
    free height 14.22
    spring rate 344
    load 1625

if i just need a short spring should load rates go up or down >>??

9. normally your rates will go up so you dont bottom out, but not necessarily. I had Coil Spring Specialties make me a set tailored to my car/engine/driving style...more than JAMCO , but you will actually get your springs....mine is a '50.

10. 49-54 springs are going to be different from 55-up. Searching for stuff can be a pain because you get car and truck stuff thrown at you at the same time. I remember asking about this before and no one had an answer I saw.

Can't a spring shop just make them for you and make them shorter?

11. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Should be easy enough to cut off a coil or two with a chop saw once they are out, but maybe that wouldn't give you the ride you want.
    Tom

12. Shortened up springs do wind up with a higher spring rate, I've tended to have better success taking a whack out of new springs. Example, I used springs for a 396 in my '65 Belair with the 327, lopped off 2 coils and it rode very nicely.

Bob

13. ya thanks you for everyone stepping up . ok so i cut 2 coils off my stock coils . ( old coils).. been driving like that for a while and my springs are weak . just was a little better ride.. im looking for springs that would fit by size but then the load is way less than the original . and the spring rate is lower too. I figured shorter needs higher rate . Yes i could go have some cut but .... i dont want to be handed something thats way too soft or hard ... tring to do my research . alot of people looking at this . which is great maybe we can figue this all out .

14. bob Thinking of that as a last option ... new stock springs ... and re chop spring

15. I have a 235 motor ... and the stock spring inner dia is rare size .

16. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I think those 235's are kind of heavy for what they are.
    Tom

17. very true... im gonna look up 55s rates and ballpark going by a 327 .

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Well we've been through this deal before with no success. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did but I/we found nothing that fit the bill.

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have jamco 3" drop coils in my 51. Rides great and price is fair

20. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

Part Number:
    FCS4954

Product Name:
    1949-54 CHEVY CAR FRONT COIL SPRINGS

Description:
    AT JAMCO, WE BUILD EACH SET OF SPRINGS TO SPECIFICATIONS OF YOUR VEHICLE. WE TAKE YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE SIZE, TRANS TYPE & A/C INTO ACCOUNT FOR EA. CAR. ALL THESE WEIGHTS PLAY INTO THE MANUFACTURING OF YOUR SPRINGS TO ASSURE YOU GET THE DROP YOU DESIRE.
    JAMCO SPRINGS ARE PROUDLY MANUFACTURED IN THE USA AND ENGINEERED SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR APPLICATION

Regular Price: $146.95

21. Say Craig . I saw that but i have heard some long threads on jamco ... need the stuff... in weeks not months

22. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I thought I read on here somewhere about using elcamino springs all the way around? Wish my short term memory wasn't so screwed......

23. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Instead of trying to find something that really doesn't do what you want, just go here.......

http://www.coilsprings.com/

Your life will be a lot easier, I promise. I have had these on my 50 for 8 yrs ordered them 3" lower with the correct spring rate, no problems,they ride awesome, no bottoming out. Forget cutting, heating, trying Elcamino springs, etc. Just pay the extra and do it right ONCE.

24. Snarl

Snarl

early Vega are pretty close dimensionally, but not sure about the spring rate. I have a pair to try out, but it will be a couple months yet before I get that far.

25. As I said in my first post, these guys are the business. only a couple hundred bucks and they are PERFECT. they build them to exactly what you want. I have put 6000miles on mine in the 50 since I installed in May and they ride perfect...you can spend a ton of hours and Mickey Mouse it for a hundred bucks....or work some overtime and enjoy...

Hans