Register now to get rid of these ads!

V 12 Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 for me, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

NICE!!!!! tell me your gunna throw some more traditional boots on those plug wires though!!

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a piece of art. (Just needs a little more supercharger… :D )

3. Thank You for the reply great looking engine.

Frenchy

4. That, is absolutely a thing of beauty!! Damn!

5. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Wow! That is a work of art! Nice job!

6. wow...another fantastic V12

7. boozoo

boozoo

God Almighty, that is one beautiful engine!

8. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

Thanks again for the replies.
    The motor and trans is going into a '32 Ford truck. A friend of mine gave me this model of the truck. after looking at it and measuring it to see what would have to be done I decided to build it. It is stretched 6 inches in front of the cowl. I thought it would look funny with a V8 flathead and since the V12 is about 6" longer than a V8 it would fill the engine compartment nicely.
    My dad was a sheet metal guy his whole life. He worked for a company that made stainless steel sinks for hospitals. When I was growing up he would bring home blank stamping from the holes in the sink. I would pretend it was money. In the evenings and week ends he would build SS parrot cages that were truly amazing in the details.
    So I decided to build a show car in memory of him, using as much stainless steel as possible. I duplicated a '32 frame, bells for a quick change, front and rear leaf springs, wish bones front and rear, I bought a stainless front axle, spindles, steering arms, and am making rotors and calipers and exact copy of a stock fire wall out of stainless. The chassis is almost finished, the axle tubes are done and the springs have been heat treated and polished. So that's about where I am.

Attached Files:

9. Randzz75

Randzz75

Beautiful engine, do you have pics of the build so far?

10. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

Sure I take lots of photo's. This is the beginning of the frame. I had it lazar cut, each frame rail is made out of 12 pieces then welded together and hand filed to look like it is one piece. It took 3 months to complete the rails.

Attached Files:

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Ken fancy seeing you here, Its looking beautiful, Its Steve Lang here, Hope you are well, its been a while since we last had contact, Hows the stainless frame coming on ???

12. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

Steve,
    Nice to here from you. Yes, I have been working on it but most of my time is devoted to the '32 sedan It is almost done then back to the stainless build. I looked up your build, wow, it is coming along nicely. I just heard from Don. Really nice to hear from you guys.
    Ken

13. Randzz75

Randzz75

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bitchin truck,keep the pics coming

15. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

I thought I would show more of how the frame was made and how I got the front and rear spring done.This is how it looked when I got it back from the lazar cutter. The second one is what it looked like as I started grinding and filing.
    The next is how the springs were made. After finding a spring company that would even talk to me I know now you can make any configuration you need. You can have any spring rate you want and any dimension you need, it really is a way to tailor your quality of ride. First I got a piece of flat bar stainless 1/4"X 4" and had it sheared it at 1 3/4 wide for the front spring so it left 2 1/4 width for the rear spring. Then took it to the spring shop and he cut and bent it to the configuration I needed. He did it while I waited. From there I went to the heat treated. When I picked them up the next day the were purple from the heat treatment. I took them back and polished them the best I could before I sent the to a real polisher. Now I had no idea on how or if this would work, I was referred to a spring company in Fresno Ca. His company makes SS coil springs. I told him what I wanted to do and he told me what type of material to use and what the heat treating should be, all I really did was go shop to shop and to get it done.

Attached Files:

16. mk e

mk e

Just beautiful!

Can you share some details about what's in the engine? I'm getting ready to start a V12 build and need all the help I can get!

Mark

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff Ken and glad to catch up with you, I will shoot you a pm when I get a chance, look after yourself buddy

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. A tub

A tub

great looking engine, great detail, great job:D