Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jersey Torch...anyone have pictures???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Aug 20, 2005.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Didn't the orange merc have two different headlight rings on it? One Merc and one Ford? The guy in the article claims to have done it himself, but we all knew the truth? Or am I fishing?

Pretty car nonetheless. I knew I heard the name but couldn't put a finger on it. The Jersey Kustom Rolodex team to the rescue! Nice.

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yes Bill.Kevin cut a corner in that one spot.He made them look somewhat alike though!

3. plmczy

plmczy

Chopmerc, one of the Fonzs' cars was purchased by a guy up here in PA. It was a primered white merc, with flames molded into the body. I haven't seen the car around in years. The last time I seen the Lodi Torch was back in the late 90's. I always liked those cars, they may have been a little crude but they were cool. I always thought of doing one but in metal and not bondo. Thanks for the info guy's. later shawn

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I couldn't tell until I was told. Kudos to him, his cars are awesome.

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Anyone have a pic of the orange Kevin Danny Merc in question? Id love to see it, did see it awhile back a few times. In a Fonzeish manner had two Radir's on front at Lead East a few years back. I remember my favorite Fonze Merc had a similar thing going on. I like Kevins cars, they are neat.

6. thejerseytorch

thejerseytorch

Everyone sure has a lot of stories! I am Jim Mclaughlin "The Jersey Torch" I live in Englishtown, NJ for the last 25 years.
    None of my cars were won in cards or traded to an old drunk. One person owns all of my cars in maryland.
    The green car was not my car it was a car someone asked me to do flames on.
    I have not done any custom work in a long time bc I drive a race car with my son.
    Before you write you should get your facts straight. Before you speak you should try building a car that shoots 75 ft of flame out the back....instead of just buying someone else's project.
    Then try doing what me and fonze did, like all the benefits and shows we did in 20 years." Be back soon"

51Cards likes this.
  7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

75ft flames.... :confused: Comes in handy when the neighbor wants hot dogs I bet.

eh, I'll take someone else's project. :D

8. DAMN, I love it when you get first hand knowledge, right from the scource!! Thank you for dispelling a bunch of conjecture and heresay.-MIKE

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wow that is so cool you are on here. Awesome. I have been trying to get pics of your 56 for years now. When I saw the car, no disrespect man, but it was falling apart all over itself, but I friggin loooooved that car. I get the feeling you are talking directly to me with the "get your facts straight" bit, if you took it as me talking shit about your car, I wouldn't have started a thread about asking for pictures. As for the info, I got it directly from the owner at the time in Linden. For my resources I had at the time, couldn't get much closer than that! I made a wrong turn in the 8th ward, looked to my right in a yard and BAM, there was the 56. I really wanted it, but it had been sitting out for far too long and had a string of owners who just beat it into the ground.

I am going to Joe and Ron's place on Monday to get a rear and trans, every pic I had of the 56 I gave to a friend of mine who was going to buy it...never got em back. If you or anyone has pics of it, lemme know. One of the most evil looking cars ever done.

10. Hotrod289

Hotrod289
    from lakehurst

Im glad to see you get on here and set these slap a-s right. ps Idid not forget about the 58 so call with the new #

11. shoebox72

shoebox72

I fell in love with that 49 Chevy when it was green. first saw it at lead east around 87 or 88. The same year there was a big 6 car carrier full of rough 49-51 mercs parked out back by the teeter totter.
    If i'm not mistaken didn't they paint the green flames on the 49 chevy at lead east on one of top floors of the parking garage as part of a how to paint flames type demonstration?

Billy

12. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Heres the 56 in its finest hour.

Attached Files:

13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Imagine all the Bondos that had to die to make that car possible. Awesome, I love it!

14. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

TORCH... Is your son's name Vernon? I went to school with a Vernon Mclaughlin? about 22 yrs ago? He Had a bad to the bone 59 ford Ranchero

15. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

LEAD EAST needs to bring back the flamethrowers

16. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

Chris is in the process of fixing her back up now. He had a really bad shop fire and she got burned. She will be good as new soon I hope.

17. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

hey REST IN PEACE JIMMY ..he was really a nice guy to us young kids ..showed us his set up ..[which we used ]...minus the full sized oxygen bottles to get the flames 75 feet up and let is put our merc in the show up at worcester , mass
    [​IMG]

18. My dad never lived in Maryland Chris Johnson the Maryland Torch and my exfiancee bought my dad's cars. I have pics of his cars and him if you are interested. The 56 became a chop top and an amazing flamethrower i even got the movie FlameThrowers of America where Dad talks about flamethrowing.

19. Yes they painted the flames on the car on the roof top I have pics of it but my dad didnt own that car he did the flames as a favor to a friend of his.

20. I have pics of dad's 53 not 54 Ford and his 56 Ford.

21. Actually there's 2 cars A 53 and a 56 you can also look up FlameThrowers of America and find the VHS and the DVD of dad shooting flames. I also have loads of pics of dad and his cars if you are interested

22. No Vernon is not my brothers name. Alot of people have the last name McLaughlin. It is a common irish last name

23. Hello my name is michelle McLaughlin I am Jimmy's youngest daughter. I have alot of pics of dad's cars the 53 and the 56. I am about to do a yearly tribute to him as his birthday is in 2 wks. He would of been 61 this month. If you are interested feel free to email me I would be happy to exchange stories and photos.

[email protected]

24. It sucks to lose these guys. That gang of guys were the last of the old guys that really customized and worked on their stuff. My area is now left with a bunch of lawn chair custom guys. What a cool bunch these guys were. Sorry to see them go.

I'm not saying there are no more old or young guys customizing. It's just that these guys lived for it, and were always on the scene. Local shows are not the same without them. Cheers to them!

went everywhere

25. Thank You. Yes, My dad, Uncle Fonz and Uncle Chris (Purple Haze) were always there. They never missed a show or a beat. I loved growing up with this life style. I enjoyed the fact that my dad was always trying o do something for someone else. Thats why I am doing this in his name and honor. Anyone who has a flamerthrower need not come to Jersey Just record yourself shooting flames and then email it to me and I will upload all of them to his tribute page On his birthday July 30, 2012 and Then I will let the world see what he did. What he created. How much he was loved and cared about.

my email address is [email protected]
    my facebook page is www.facebook.com/Tinkerbelle79

26. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Baby Girl Please post any pictures of your Dad and\or his friends. They were the real deal.

27. Thank you very much for coming forward Michelle! Dammit that I won't be in the states for your dads birthday party. I don't arrive until aug. 4th. Maybe another time! Where in MD is the collection of your dads cars. I'm gonna be in Arnold!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

28. 1949chevygreen

1949chevygreen
    from manahawkin

yeah me jimbo and fonze used to haNG OUT ALL THE TIME AT THE FREEZE AND ALL OTHER PLACES WHEN I WAS A MEMBER OF THE ORIGINAL LOST IN THE FIFTIES AFTER FONZE CHANGED IT TO THAT BECAUSE OF PEOPLE WEARING JACKETS WITH LOST IN THE FIFDTIES ON THEM I STILL HAVE MY JACKET WHEN WE HAD THE NEW JACKETS MADE SOMEWHERE AROUND 88 OR 89 LIKE JIMMY SAID WE DID ALOT OF BENIFITS FOR THE GOOD OF IT AND IT IS TRUE SOME OF US OLD SCHOOL GUYS ARE STILL CRUISIN TIMES WERE GOOD

29. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

Chris Lives in Pocomoke City md. Way down at the bottom of the eastern shore

30. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de