Register now to get rid of these ads!

Running Diesel fuel through a gas engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Presumably 40FordGuy was running AvGas through a '40 Ford or something similar that has no catalytic converter.

Not that anything ought to have a catalytic converter. Having said that, tetra-ethyl lead isn't nice stuff to be around.

2. I did that ONCE on a '68 vintage 225.. scraped all the shit around the valves and some went into the pan. Got lucky and caught the oil light on, dropped the pan, cleaned it out, replaced the oil pump, ran 2 oil changes through it back to back and it was fine.

Bob

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

Yes, you can add things to your fuel and oil to loosen up the crud, sludge, carbon, general gook but... be wary of were all that stuff goes once it is loose. It doesn't all just magically blow out the end of the exhaust pipe or drop to the bottom of the oil pan. Some of it gets stuck in bad places, or plug up things that shouldn't be plugged. What ever you do, do it s little bit at a time over a period of time and don't expect miracles. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Probably not for real "old timely" engines or engines in dubious condition, but the old "Italian tune up" method seems to work well. Basically, you find a long steady uphill grade and drive up it in a low gear revving the piss out of it for a period of time. This method burns off carbon and blows it out the pipes.

5. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I used to work at a Ford dealership and when a car would come in with an Intermittent knock, I would use water or atf, slowly down the carb. Both worked good, putting atf would just cause smoke. The water or atf would clean the carbon off the valves, that would come loose and cause a knock when on top of the piston, hitting the head, causing a knock.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I know an oldtimer (older than me!) who said during WWII when gas was rationed he had a separate tank he put in his car to hold diesel. He would get the car started and warmed up on gas, then turn a switch to the diesel tank and drive with it.
    I asked if it hurt the engine, and he said he drove it that way throughout WWII, and after the War he went back to straight gas with no problems.

7. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Kerosene that they ran in gas engines was #1 range oil much different than todays kerosene or diesel fuel. Also they used copper tubing for fuel line after the fuel pump and ran it around the exhaust manifold a couple of times to warm the kerosene. Started on gas then switched to kerosene..

8. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

COMPLETELY OT 2001 Sebring V6 with 110,000 miles. I ran out of gas 1 mile from home, call Dad he brings 5 gallons of "FUEL." Car will barely run,stalls. "Hey Dad, was that gas ?"
    "Yup."
    "Ya sure ?"
    "Ummm...yeaaahhhh...AHHh CRAP ! That was diesel !"
    Went and got 5 gallons of FUEL, added, cranked went to gas staion, filled up, went just fine. Car has 228,000 miles and purrrs.
    ??????

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

klitosp....It sure does,...115/145 has LOTS of lead,... But when we used the stuff, cat converters weren't even a gleam in some enviro-nuts eye.....Much less existing on our cars.... I'd like to know how it would run in a modern engine, sans converter....

4TTRUK

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

try to hunt down the old Bill Cosby gem 200 MPH where he talks about doing this in his Ferrari thats the same bit with the 427 Cobra he got from Carol Shelby funnny funny stuff, I had to burn the gunk outa the pipes!! :D

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's the bill cosby bit where he talks about that, makes fun of VWs too, "just put it in second gear and drive 100 MPH"

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/TgfohqL_/bill_cosby_200_mph.html