Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Western Maryland St Rod Roundup 10 days away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigbob55, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Clark

Clark

The money goes to charity.....why worry about $45 for one day? If you've ever been to the awards you will see where the money goes and people give even more for the Crippled Kids.

Clark

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Corn roast plus gobs of extra stuff TWICE! Rod jousting and two poker runs. Dances in the evening all weekend and great friends and rods everywhere..................

It doesn't get any better than this ! ! ! !

Just a few more days before it's in full swing...............

3. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Finished packing today woosh...all I have to do is throw the close in and ice up the coolers. Carl is off friday so the plan (right now) is to pull into the cassleman inn in Grantsville Thursday night so I can be at the FG for set up brigh n early Friday morning....
    Trailer is full of collectibles and the new truck is full of movies posters and beer...hoping for good weather and fun times.

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks for the update Bob. Keep me posted on how early you plan to set up. We have a nice place to stay, so the wife will probably sleep in and I'll go back for her later.

Thanks for mentioning the cooler too. I have one to plug into the car and the Optima seems to hold up to anything......

Looks like the hurricane won't affect us............

Looking for this to be the best Round Up ever!

5. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Ya I think it was 2008 maybe we had a weekend of rain come up the coast from a freakin hurricane.....looks like this will be to the west....hoping for the best.....I'll have 3 canopies up if carl set me up with enough room....plenty of room for "beer chairs"...Bought Carl his own case today and a 30 pack for the rest of us....oughta last Friday anyway !! Forgot to tell you I retired the S10 and bought a new Silverado....you'll see it when I get there...more room to haul more stuff !!!

6. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Hoping to arrive by noon on Thursday pullig scamp camper with 55 F100

7. We all work hard for our money... Some just work harder, some just make more... U can donate 45 bucks to this kid right here and and I'll donate 10 of my own to charity... Deal?!

8. Clark

Clark

I am a broke mofo ...I don't have 2 pennies to rub together but I will make it to Cumberland some how!!
    Clark

9. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey Travis
    Sorry to hear you're destitute....We'll try and soldier on without you?

Hey Clark,
    Some cold beers coming your way! You're one of my hot-rodding heroes!

10. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I'm getting the popcorn ready!!!!:eek:

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey Gary! How was the road trip?
    Hope you had a good time!

No popcorn necessary! No drama on this thread!
    I'm gonna haul in my aluminum cans this week even tho the price is down.....beers are on me this weekend! A guys gotta hustle when he has an expensive hobby jones?

12. busch167

busch167

Been there in one way or another for the last 37 (missed the first 3)

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Wow! busch167 we need to talk to you!
    Folks like you are the cornerpost of our event! We're trying to get as many "long - timers" on record as we can.

Please look me up,I'll be the guy with the sombrero,rugged good looks and dynamic personality.
    Okay,I have a sombrero...

14. Hah not destitute just thrifty... But glad u guys will make it happen without me, I think you guys (western md street rodders) do an awesome job! I've be going to the show since I can remember with my parents and still support it to this day. I would love to spend the 45 bucks for the entire weekend some year but unfortunately my work prohibits it and I can only usually make it for a day.

15. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Is there a swap meet?

16. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Fast67VelleN2O,
    Yeppers,as you drive down to the railroad tracks(before the Fairgrounds) look to your LEFT. You're there!
    If you're interested in vending car parts or ?,stop and ask for "Leonard."

17. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

There is a swap meet (of which I have been vending for 18 years) but take my word for it....But don;t drive from So Jersey to Cumberland for the swap meet....it ain;t that big....maybe 15-25 spaces, a mix of new and used , with some auto related non parts like I sell (car movies and movie posters) as great as an event as this is in enjoyable times and fun for the family.....there isn;t much at the swap meet.

18. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I should have qualified the above before I spoke. The swap is small in comparison to the size of the show.....but it depends what you are looking for....there is a great Tool vendor....several Rod parts, suspension and frame, all the vendors there are top quality....but if you are looking for rows and rows of 50's and earlier body parts next to rows and rows of flathead and early hemi speed parts...this ain't it.

What is odd though, is that every year I go I find a car for sale....at a decent price. Could still kick myself for not looking closer at that 40 Ford std 2 dr sedan Ex gasser on that homemade trailer that was there 3 or 4 years ago....Chevy orange spray painted with cans.... needed alot but was worth the effort

19. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Like you said Bob, might not cover the vast area of treasures on the ground like Carlisle and Hershey PA., but still worth a look.

I have my wife driving our full sized pick-up behind me just to make sure I have room for what I might find. Much easier layout to get into and pull right up to the place you might buy something heavy too. Like a 40 Ford sedan gasser?................................lol

20. vargosk

vargosk
    from PA

I'll be there. We have gone about every year since 95. This is the first time we are going down Thursday night for the cruise. We we be able to go in to the fairgrounds and set up our canopy?

21. PA-Comet

PA-Comet

Yep, no problem, we'll be open for business on Thursday. There's actually people that set up well before Thursday. Probably camping right now. We don't rent the fairgrounds till Thursday though. As a result, we have to collected a fee each day for each trailer or tent that's set up before Thursday (which the fairgrounds charges us for). Obviously you won't have to worry about that.

Registration will be open by Thursday afternoon.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  22. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

Damn shame one can't drive into the Show for a smaller fee. Rally In The Valley, Steeltown Showdown, etc. are $10, a fair price. So Bill Ruffner, Dale Holder, Jay and Mike Wolk, Bushwacker VanSickel, Twink Hostetler, and a number of others from Somerset and Johnstown areas will be doing the walk-in deal and leaving our hot rods on the outside for the day. The $45 fee is a great deal for the weekend goer, but $45 is way out of line for a day whether one can afford it or not. "I don't need no stinkin' popcorn".

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

bje31,
    Wow?
    Those are great shows you mentioned.Been to them and they rock.

WMSRA(and the participants) pay(s) for the rental of the fairgrounds,insurance,food,assisted services,ambulance-services,security,sani pots,the large building where Woman's World,the valve cover races and the meals are served,event items and cleanup and gabage removal,plus we all donate to a very effective and fine charity.

Those other shows are not set up in the same scale as the RoundUp.
    Great shows,by no means am I cutting on them,but apples and oranges here?

Did I mention the $1,000 cash drawing each day? Howzabout the killer free front suspension from Martz every year for how many years now?
    Another huge giveaway this year to be anounced by a local business to a registered participant too....

Amazingly,we've kept our(all of us:participants,WMSRA & The League,A Place For Children) show going for 40 YEARS despite being piggybacked by two non-charitable events benifiting private businesses? You know,the ones you attend for free?

Sorry we can't please everybody,but maybe cruises and art shows up their ante or we lower ours? I don't see the latter happening...
    Maybe we're just not for you?

Oh,we have the corn roast Sunday too...included in the cost of your registration.And a band each evening.And rod jousting.

I'll have some free popcorn at Bob's site if anybody wants some...in the spirit of comradery and fun.It's free,just stop by...

24. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I really wish I could make it this year but my band has to play a show Saturday and Sunday AND I have a family event Friday.

I am going to try to limit the band bookings to maybe just one show next labor day so I can come down.

25. PA-Comet

PA-Comet

We may not have the car count, but compared to Goodguys or NSRA, you get a lot more for your money. Also just to clarify, it's not $45 for one day. You do have to pay the full weekend price up front but you will get your refund when you return your armbands and window card. You also have the option of camping out on the grounds which most of those shows will not allow you to do.

26. PA Comet... good to hear. So if I was to come down on Friday and return all the required items, how much would it be then?

27. PA-Comet

PA-Comet

I'm not completely sure how it is structured this year, since I'm not able to make the meetings. Keep in mind that the full weekend is $45 pre-registration. Registering at the event is $55. If I recall right, I think it was $30 for one day. Ranunculous might be able to clarify that.

28. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

FAQ:
    http://westernmarylandstreetrod.com/WELCOME_TO_THE_WESTERN_MARYLAND_STREET_ROD_ASSOCIATION.html

I just spoke with the club president,one day registration for Saturday or Sunday... is pay the full $55.,return the registration info,windshield sticker and armbands back by the alloted time(tell the fine folks at the registration booth you're only staying one day when you register and they'll give your time deadline) and recieve a $25. refund.
    Your one day fee would be $30.

Hope this clarifies the discrepancy and eases minds and all that...

29. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Sounds like a good deal to me. We'll be there Friday and Saturday. Ken

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Mr Clean,
    Look for the (several) HAMB banners about the fairgrounds and stop and say "Howdy!" We'd like to meet you.