Register now to get rid of these ads!

Identify this car? Difficulty level: Expert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Do you know of a beekeepers outfit that you could borrow? It would probably work for hornets, too.

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

When I first saw it, before I got a good look at it, the steering column and wheel reminded me of the 41 Willys Jeep that my grandfather had and I was reminded of all the good time we had in it. What you have is all wrong to be a Jeep, I just wanted to thank you for the trip down memory lane. :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

You guys are sick. If you guys can figure out what this car is you need some help!!!! By the way im joking. You guys are car nuts for sure. Bad ass!!!!!!!!!!! any one who can look at a peace of a car and tell what it is from a beet pic is a bad ass car guy.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I am late to this party, but I believe it's a '41 Olds. The '46-'47 very close except the steering wheel spokes are a T shape on the '46-'47 and the one in the picture has equally spaced spokes.

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:confused:Guys.I might be so far out in left field that I`m completely out of the ballpark.BUT has anybody considered that it MIGHT be the remains of a Divco milk or delivery truck?Or at least in that category.Stop and think a minute about the angle that the pedals come out of the floor.Looks just about right for the standup driving position of those trucks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. squirrel

squirrel

that might be right...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. A-Wall

A-Wall

Ding! I think we have a winner!

this is a fun game. I have the same gm parking brake handle at my shop, came off a 41-47 chev/pont /olds, we've many of each so it's hard to remember.

8. What is the lower chrome part, then? It looks like it has a hole for a gauge.

Size 13 shoe?

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'ma buy that it's a 41 Olds and give squirrel 1000 extra bonus points for finding the pic.

Hood release, check.

Steering wheel, check.

Gauge panel, check.

Main instrument board, check.

Area at the bottom of the main board, double check.

Look at the shape of the junker, then notice the applique' that attaches below the gauges in the restored pic. You're the man squirrel...

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Dang, Highlander! I identify the dash as a '41 Olds (but don't post a photo even though I did an extensive google search in an effort to identify it); Squirrel agrees and posts a photo and he's the man? Ouch! :)

11. No matter how often i look at threads like this, im always impressed.

12. sawzall

sawzall

this car is 41 olds..

the dashes are very similar same at the bottom (41- 48)

but my picture below shows a 48 olds dash
    ** note the mockup grille laying over the bottom half of my dash(i had experimented with a bunch of stuff before I located decent stock dash chrome for my car..) [​IMG]

next question..

is the car a convertible?
    because I see parts of the top of the door over there on the left.. and it appears it might be?

13. squirrel

squirrel

I agree...give credit where it's due...I just posted the pics, that's easy.

14. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Really..., no disrespect, but I think I said Olds before anybody, but I didn't have pictures to back it up. Just prior knowledge from cars I had in my wrecking yard.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Noticed this thread a little late. First thing that came to mind that it obviously must be a Hudson Hornet but the sting of that observation has already been used. Then my real guess was Olds. The floor kinda looks GMish but I wish somebody could ID the heater as either factory or after-market. If factory it would point us even closer to the answer. Then again it could be a pre-piece of some off shore product!

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

Wow! We finally narrowed it down! Thanks for saving me the possible pain of going back to get more pics! I still want those pedals though, and if the back of that heater unit isn't rotted out, I will try to snag that too. 41 Olds... Who knew?

You guys aren't going to believe this, but in my mad dash out of the area to get away from those hornets, I must have run through a patch of poison ivy. No joke, I have been itching like mad for days. I guess that's what being a gear head on a budget is all about though; the stories. It will be way more fun to tell this story about how I got that dash than just saying that I bought it off eBay or something.

Pain in the Pursuit of Parts. THAT would make a fun thread to read.

Thanks again guys, this was fun to read.

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

haha, you Texas boys must not get much moss growth:D

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Just make sure you make sure the owner doesnt mind that your pulling parts off his 'old olds' just cuz it's junk doesnt its not someone's junk

19. Don't be sorry! That was freakin hilarious!

20. If it's a convertible, or was a convertible, grab the doors, windshield frame, and look for any other convert stuff. Even if it's shit, they don't reproduce the stuff, someone's already asked about it, maybe you'll pay for your time and trouble and a 12-pack for later.

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You are right on, bro! You even said it was definitely 41-48 vintage. I just took it from there with google images (the steering wheel, which changed in '42) to narrow it to '41.

Even more impressive is while I used google images, you used your memory!

That's what I like about the HAMB, so much knowledge in one place!

22. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Thanks for the recognition. I enjoy this site a lot, because I'm always learning something.

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very cool that y'all were able to nail it down to a '41 Olds. Now I feel compelled to go and take a real crappy picture of a small part of some rusty car that's falling apart and challenge you guys. Incredible detective work.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DUDE!! I'm sorry bro, I missed it! :eek::eek:

That's ok. There's room for more than 1 "you're the man", AND I'm gonna take 1000 of my points and give them to you, plus an extra 100 for my fuck up. I don't know how I'll make it through the rest of my day man, I mean I feel bad now. :(:(:(:(

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gotta stand by my props though, you nailed the perfect pic. I gave ya both "The man" status too, but gave him an extra 100pts. :cool:

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now you gotta paint it green!:D

27. as it comes up to be a '41 Olds, i'm a bit confused about the hinges, did Olds have these hidden hinges? i only know the 42 - 48 Poncho- and Buick-Hinges, and for these were also Fisher bodies the hinges must be similar.. some Olds-guy teach me up!

28. I think you are right, take a look at the lever on the left end of the dash. Looks like a Microloc, like a line lock to set the brakes. Just a guess.

29. squirrel

squirrel

milk truck? with that driver's door? no way