Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lynwood California begins to take notice of former Barris Kustom shop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Masterson Kustoms, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

As of today, Monday August 27th 2012... The city of Lynwood California voluntarily came to the shop to discuss the possibilty of assisting in preserving the former Barris Kustom shop at 11054 Atlantic ave. They have asked me to compile any evidence as to why people would care to see this dream become a reality. The State of California has sent a letter stating that the building could be placed on the National Register under Criteria A and B. They also mention that the property has the potential to become part of the fast growing heritage tourism industry. Travel industry officials generally treat heritage tourism as part of a lager category called cultural tourism, which includes visitation to historic sites as well as museums and other venues for arts and history. The letter also says "The Atlantic Avenue property has the historical context to attract tourists interested in the early years of car customization as well as the car as a hand crafted art form.

I am posting this because the city asked me to present any letters of support or interest to them by the end of the week. I am sure all of us have thought about how cool it would be to slide back in time and hang around that little shop. So if there is any other people like myself that would care to see this shop live and breath again now is your chance to be a part of it. Please pass the word on and hopefully something good will come of it. Thanks.

2. ryno

ryno

That sounds awesome

Is this not your location?

3. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

No. I Lease the larger of the two properties. The 11070 building.

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Judging from the Google street view, it's a radiator and tire shop.
    Provided it's not going to be a hardship to the current tenants/owners, having this on a Register would be nice. Bet there are a lot of other shops in the area that could also be part of a tour. I remember a thread on a bunch of old shops...

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

just READ EVERYTHING before signing.........

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. Colin HD

Colin HD

Shi*t, that means the building will be torn down overnight
    This has happened before<O:p</O:p
    Securing this would be a huge win for the recognition of Barris and our hobby<O:p</O:p
    Good Luck, all on HAMB will be behind you.<O:p</O:p

7. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

I thought Barris was in Bill Hines old shop (before Bill moved in in the 60's) on Long Beach Blvd near Fernwood?

8. RDR

RDR

Totally agree with Mazooma here,Brad...
    From what I hear about "Historic Buildings", there may be restrictions on what you can change or even use them for.
    Would love to see the old Barris shop being used to keep lead alive...
    and maybe a rotating museum for early customs:confused:
    Of course all depending on if it would work out with the current owner/tenant and not make you a slave of the city gubment whose only interest in this would be $$$$

9. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

letter emailed to you

10. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Brad forgot to say that if your interested in writing a letter, just write something encouraging & send it to his email address: [email protected] & he will print out the letters & take them to the powers that be to show them that other people are interested in making this thing happen.

11. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

12. Keith English

Keith English

is this for Cali residents only or can anyone send a letter?

13. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

From what I have read so far, The state and federal governments have funds set aside for historic preservation. I asked about restrictions and about operating on the site. Their response was "If we deem a blacksmith shop historical, we have to find and pay someone that knows how they used to make horse shoes. The people I have talked with want the shop to function so that people can come see how custom cars were constructed. That is what brings people to a place they otherwise have no reason to go to. That is what the city needs, is people to come and in turn spend money while they are here.

14. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

EVERYONE!!!! even if it is in another language, It don't matter, they have no real idea if anyone is truly interested in it.

15. christopher 78

christopher 78

Wow! Well they can hire you and bill to amuse!

16. This could be a great thing. If i get up that way, i'd be keen on a tour.
    Id love to see the building restored back to how it was when George run it.
    Theres an Aussie Hamber, who built a scale model of how it looked then. I hope he sees this, and posts here.

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

18. RDR

RDR

letter emailed...
    good luck Brad!

19. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Does this mean that they would go against the EPA on the use of lead? If they intend to restore it to the way it was, George laid down a lot of lead in his day.

20. Hyfire

Hyfire

Anyone have any photos of the site today???

21. Patrick46

Patrick46

for the record...

I'd drive hours out of my way to come visit such a historic and groovy landmark!!

22. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Bump for Brad. Full support here for making Kustom history come alive.

23. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

As far as I know there is no law against using lead but yeah it could be EPA exempt .

24. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

I almost hate to show what it looks like now. But it's pretty much all there just buried under new car shit. Hoping the city simply turns up the heat on the whole deal. It's hard to believe they let it be used the way it is. 100% of work is done outside the shop and under tarps. The little shop is just used for storage of tools parts and an office.

25. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Save me.

Attached Files:

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thats Awesome news Brad! I will send a letter for sure!

27. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

I should clarify the above photo is the shop next to Brads. The other half of the Barris shop that he's trying to get.

28. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Sent my email. Good luck.

29. Keith English

Keith English

Ill get u the email first thing in the am then.

30. Rikster

Rikster

Will send a letter today.
    Way to go Brad... hope this will really happen.
    It would be really fantastic if this place could be saved and brought back to how it used to be. Hopefully to early 1950's specs. And even serve as a custom car body shop for people allover the world to visit.

Kustom Car holly ground.